UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Title IX Solution For Wrestling

2/17/12 1:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GladiatorGannon
279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/12 1:15 AM

On the heels of the UC Davis Title IX wrestling fiasco (a travesty that is sure to take opportunities away from many wrestlers in the future) I was thinking of an oddball solution. You can call it crazy or creative, but it's main appeal is that it's something that will actually get wrestling past Title IX...and without a radical solution like this, wrestling is in big trouble.

In the UC Davis case, the women were elimated for the team after losing wrestle-offs. The courts seemed to think this violated Title IX, and awarded the plaintiffs 1.3 million.

Wrestle-Offs are the fairest way to pick a varsity team in the history of sports (but still not fair enough for Title IX apparently). To allow women to compete equally, you would have to create an accomodation, similar to the way wrestling created an accomodation for blind wrestlers - they added continuous contact rules that still allowed for a vigorous contest while allowing equality.

I suggest Weight Allowances - If the elite 130lb females compete equally with a 103lb male wrestler, that's the weight class she competes in..and it's fair. Add in some weight classes that are so light that ONLY women with weight allownces could compete in them (enough to cover half your team slots), and suddenly you're in complete compliance with Title IX and you get to keep your program.

If this solution sound strange to you...it is, but it's a heck of a lot better than having no wrestling at all.
2/17/12 1:22 AM
Joe O'Brien
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make wrestling a coed sport. Add three weighclasses and have them on the team. Include three women's divisions in dual meets and tournaments.
2/17/12 1:33 AM
GladiatorGannon
279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/12 1:34 AM
Joe O'Brien - Make wrestling a coed sport.

That's essentially what I'm talking about...I'm just using different means to accomplish it.

And 3 women aren't going to cut it -You're going to have to have 50/50 representation somehow, or it STILL won't pass Title IX muster...which is the whole point of the exercise.

The vast bulk of talented female candidates would be coming in from 95-140 (post cut), so you're going to need to have half your weight classes around there.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.