UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Is Wing Chun an effective art for a street fight?

3/22/12 5:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BTW, I'm not a Wing Chun guy at all.

Muay Thai - 6 amateur fights
BJJ - Blue Belt
Arnis - Ilustrisimo

So I am not in whatever way, shape or form defending Wing Chun.
3/22/12 10:09 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"""BTW, I'm not a Wing Chun guy at all."""

BTW - I'm I'm a Christian (17 years now - being progressivly changed all the time- LOL - Thank you G-d - holy crap - et al - ...). 

I teach at youth group on SUNDAY NIGHTS.

I run the sound system at church on Sunday mornings and record the sermons for the website.

My wife and I host a 20's and 30's bible syudy on Wednesday nights at our house.

I attend a Friday morning mens study at the church. (5 years now).

We budget to give to the homeless peeps on the street corners of our town.

We constantly pray for a "sense of enough".

I ask God to make me less and less of an asshole. 

So yeah... I'm a semi mature Jesus freak. 

To quote The wicked witch of the west".

"What a world...???"

?
3/23/12 2:13 AM
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for you. There are a lot more important things than martial arts. I just do it as a hobby nowadays and to seek self-improvement. But to each his own. I'm glad you found your outlet. :)

Cheers

Toby
3/23/12 12:24 PM
Spartan79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demitrius Barbito -  """BTW, I'm not a Wing Chun guy at all."""

BTW - I'm I'm a Christian (17 years now - being progressivly changed all the time- LOL - Thank you G-d - holy crap - et al - ...). 

I teach at youth group on SUNDAY NIGHTS.

I run the sound system at church on Sunday mornings and record the sermons for the website.

My wife and I host a 20's and 30's bible syudy on Wednesday nights at our house.

I attend a Friday morning mens study at the church. (5 years now).

We budget to give to the homeless peeps on the street corners of our town.

We constantly pray for a "sense of enough".

I ask God to make me less and less of an asshole. 

So yeah... I'm a semi mature Jesus freak. 

To quote The wicked witch of the west".

"What a world...???"

?
Fair play. You do get a lot of stick on here and to be fair I think you have held your hands up and admitted being wrong at times and quite honest. Good luck to you. Phone Post
4/21/12 11:49 PM
springy palm

In the end it all comes down to who you train with. The best Representative that I have seen for Wing Chun is a guy by the name Alan Orr. Alan has fighters that compete in MMA and one of them is a champion in a small promotion.

Here is Alan Breaking Down how Wing Chun should really be Applied

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhownwwVHdA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OBn37HEnv0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEy-yMEv0Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnIVhighInU

4/22/12 12:12 AM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those are really good clips. I think I will try some of that tomorrow. Thanks
4/22/12 11:33 PM
Majic Sam
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice stuff from Alan.Less is Orr.

Your views,Demi?
4/23/12 10:06 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll try to watch some later today...
4/23/12 4:46 PM
Demitrius Barbito

I stopped watching after he said it's not wing chun. The thread question was about wing chun.
4/23/12 9:56 PM
Majic Sam
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously?You actually stopped watching?Tough crowd.Carry on,wayward soldier.
4/24/12 1:13 AM
Majic Sam

Pretty sure that Yip Man gave great sage advice to his top students to adapt,and be as open-minded as possible.Just get good at something,first.

Probably the same type of advice came from Helio,Gable,Kimura,etc.
4/24/12 2:20 AM
Majic Sam

Dick-tuck-critique,as always,Demonster.Tell us how you really feel.

Not Wing Chun?Well,by your standard,that should be a good thing...Not exactly JKD?That should be your stomping ground.

...what?Shoot you with my gun?...Very Christian training of you,brah.
4/24/12 3:00 AM
Majic Sam

Edited: 04/24/12 3:13 AM

4/24/12 4:39 PM
Siciliano

Very impressive. Like I said, my base is really Muay Thai, BJJ and Arnis.

My experience in WC came from just clinching (Thai and Vale Tudo) against someone who had prior WC experience and I was amazed by his ability to neutralize my attacks. I was able to dominate him though after I figured him out but there were moments when i felt like I couldn't enter on him.

Also, after training swords and weapons, it occured to me that WC might primarily have been a weapons-based art. I don't know. i'm just guessing.

To Majic Sam - No sense trying to argue with Demi. If he loses, he'll come up with another Christian - I'm a pacifist excuse. LOL.
4/24/12 5:47 PM
Demitrius Barbito

I'm not a pacifist. I don't make excuses. I just tell you what I think. I wish you could see my face/body language. I'm really not at all atangonistic towrds any of this. I just have MY opinions just as you have yours.

I have found over the years that SOME people get me and SOME people don't. But I am always just being Demi.

I thought we were going to talk about wether or not WING CHUN was effective in a street fight. The guy in those clips said that his stuff is VERY different than wing chun. I think some of what I saw after watching the other clips was better than some wing chun material I've seen. BUT, THAT was NOT wing chun. Right?
4/24/12 6:37 PM
springy palm

Dem, How is his stuff not Wing Chun. Alan uses all the same principles that makes up the Wing Chun System, the only difference is that he trains it on resisting opponents. So therefore the techniques are going to look different compared to Wing Chun trained by others that view fighting as a game of Patty Cake.

Here is a quote from Alan in an interview that speaks right to people such as yourself, Dem, "The main negative comments from others in the Wing Chun World are that they can’t see the Wing Chun in the fights. (Laughing) It does make a point to me, that most do not understand how Wing Chun really works if they can't see it within the fights that my guys and I have had.It is hard to see the control of the system on a clip, I understand but you may just think the opponent is not doing his job. There is a reason why! They are getting hurt and also being controlled by our Body Structure system!"

Here is the article
http://www.alanorr.co.uk/htdocs/articles/sifuinterview%202.htm

4/24/12 6:46 PM
Demitrius Barbito

He seems to think it's a complement that people don't see his material as wing chun (his words). I like that.
4/24/12 7:08 PM
springy palm

BTW, Here sre some more clips of Alan showinng the Chu Sau Lei Wing Chu System.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxklnLPeRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-BdYdgwkog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVds78FSl4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzi-PfitBO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIJQrbD7jL8

Enjoy
4/25/12 10:49 PM
Majic Sam

I wish that more Orr-types could teach the basic,scientific,physics/principals of trapping range.Boxing has fine tie-ups,but not as much beyond the rules of sport.

Bruce,Vunak,Wong,Inosanto,etc.

I have to add Mr. Orr to the that time-line,progression.Nice stuff.
5/11/12 2:18 PM
Iron Man
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siliciano

I know this is a wing chun thread. but you mentioned that you are no longer using redzone because you found something better. Can you share with us what you found?

thanks.

5/11/12 2:24 PM
Siciliano

iron Man,

Ilustrisimo. So far the simplest and most efficient knife defenses I've experienced. I'll be coming up with my own unarmed vs knife "free" youtube instructional soon.
5/11/12 2:53 PM
Siciliano

Iron Man,

BTW, my exposure to the Red Zone system is not that big. Only got some stuff from Ray Floro's seminar at Centerline gym back in 2004. What was taught was the 2-handed baseball grip defense to a knife attack - as far as I can remember.

So I'm basing it on those few techniques alone. Might not be fair judging Red Zone in its entirety.
5/11/12 4:17 PM
Iron Man
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siciliano

Hmmm...Illustrisimo. Cool. I look forward to seeing your knife vs. empty hand youtube video. Can I ask who is your Illustrisimo instructor is?

Was that the two day seminar over at Jerry's place. If so, I was there on the first day.

Have you ever seen the Tanswell's STAB system?

Thanks.
5/11/12 5:18 PM
Siciliano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ZO17yWi7I&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLFF8F31F77E9062B8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlXiSiX1tgg

These are the only ones I've seen. In a nutshell, not bad at all. Alive, but a little crude.

Although I can see some details that they might've missed out. But again, it's only a short clip and I haven't seen everything so I really can't comment that much on it.
5/11/12 5:19 PM
Siciliano

Edited: 05/11/12 5:19 PM
BTW, my current instructor is Romy Macapagal.

I was the guy that sparred with Ray in the seminar. Tip of his stick went inside my headgear if you remember that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.