UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Otha Turner

2/17/12 10:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/12 10:41 AM

Otha Turner was one of the great Mississippi performers of fife and drum blues, and probably the most well known.

I first heard him in the Corey Harris documentary 'Feel like going home' which traces the roots of Delta blues to West Africa.

My Babe with the Afrossippi Allstars:

Clip from Feel like going home:

2/17/12 10:47 AM
Ali
781 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/12 10:47 AM
Most well-known of "fife and drum blues"? Who knew??

Thanks for this -- brand new to me! (And I think I've heard everything, y'know...)
2/17/12 2:18 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stumped the chump! Do I get a prize or something?
2/27/12 12:58 AM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Napoleon Strickland was another one. `ol Jessie mae hemphill was a hell of a drummer. Sid hemphill was also recorded by Lomax. They still play that stuff in the Miss hill country around Como.
2/29/12 7:12 AM
Ali
781 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Napoleon Strickland, eh? I don't know when I'll next (ahem) be around Como, in the Miss hills.
3/1/12 12:33 AM
whaledog
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/01/12 12:46 AM
I've got this on DVD, 'The Land Where Blues Began'

Looks like you can see the full movie for free here: http://www.folkstreams.net/film,109 
3/1/12 12:58 AM
Ali

Edited: 03/01/12 12:58 AM
Amazing, whaledog. Thanks! Esp for the link to the full movie, which I'll get to *soon*....
3/1/12 9:55 AM
DasBeaver

Awesome, thanks for the heads up Whaledog.
How is it I've never heard of this, I've even read Lomax's book of the same name.
3/2/12 10:14 AM
DasBeaver

My god man, have you seen all the videos that site has with free streams? Incredible!

http://www.folkstreams.net/
3/2/12 12:09 PM
whaledog
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DasBeaver - My god man, have you seen all the videos that site has with free streams? Incredible!

Yeah, I've started checking them out.  Awesome.
3/2/12 1:25 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/02/12 1:35 PM
Which one of you guys runs fingerstyleblues.com?

This popped up on the site fingerstyleblues.com site today right after we discussed Folkstreams: Folkstreams.net: A National Preserve of Documentary Films about American Roots Cultures  
3/2/12 1:54 PM
whaledog

whaledog - Which one of you guys runs fingerstyleblues.com?

This popped up on the site fingerstyleblues.com site today right after we discussed Folkstreams: Folkstreams.net: A National Preserve of Documentary Films about American Roots Cultures  

OK, I think I figured out who it is . . . :)

Funny, it's a small world.  I would have never connected fingerstyleblues.com to this site.
3/2/12 3:05 PM
DasBeaver

Edited: 03/02/12 4:01 PM
Nobody here but us chickens...
Were you aware of FB before? How did you find it?
3/2/12 5:08 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/02/12 5:23 PM
DasBeaver - Nobody here but us chickens...
Were you aware of FB before? How did you find it?

I don't remember how I found your site.  Probably googling an old blues artist or song.  

I've subscribed to its RSS feed for a couple of years now.  I really like it.

Time to make some more lessons.  Delta and Texas await! 

3/2/12 9:48 PM
Ali

Edited: 03/02/12 9:51 PM
Sean!... you never told me man...

3/2/12 9:52 PM
Ali

3/2/12 9:59 PM
Ali

Edited: 03/02/12 10:13 PM
And just because I hassled you on the Ornette thread (and which you probably didn't notice), DasBeaver...

3/2/12 10:03 PM
Ali

and my new idol...

3/2/12 10:11 PM
Ali

Edited: 03/02/12 10:12 PM
DasBeaver - My god man, have you seen all the videos that site has with free streams? Incredible!

And btw... also... THIS ^^^^
3/3/12 1:30 AM
surfing
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - 

And btw... also... THIS ^^^^

just finished the hill country one and gonna start the piedmont one.....so awesome - THANKS
3/3/12 8:42 AM
DasBeaver

whaledog - 
I don't remember how I found your site.  Probably googling an old blues artist or song.  

That's great! Thanks man, glad you like it. I'm pretty behind with the lessons, to tell you the truth it takes so long to make those tabs it's hard to get started. If you have any suggestions for slightly obscure songs in those styles just let me know.
3/3/12 8:45 AM
DasBeaver

Ali, the guy in the Kayak rules!
Haha, you are probably the only person to ever get that reference. I didn't notice the Ornette diss yet, it was getting a little heady and I had to go stare at a wall to return to my normal head space.
3/3/12 11:34 AM
Ali

Edited: 03/03/12 11:36 AM
Barlow's Canadian. That's what that was about. That and thread-clutter. Yeah, Kayak dude does rule! He's got a long string of tunes on youtube too... and all those fingerstyle interjections makes him um, "relevant", too, right? (BTW, I also love that pair of folks in front of the James Brown vid... wtf??)
3/3/12 11:46 AM
Ali

DasBeaver - ....
That's great! Thanks man, glad you like it. I'm pretty behind with the lessons, to tell you the truth it takes so long to make those tabs it's hard to get started. If you have any suggestions for slightly obscure songs in those styles just let me know.

Thanks whaledog for pointing that out. The site is really, really good DasBeav! Looks amazing, layout and all, great choices.

For East Cost/Piedmont, a big favorite of mine is Blindboy Fuller's "Pistol Slapper Blues". (And yes, you're allowed to completely skip the Rory G. version for your purposes!)
3/3/12 12:24 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/03/12 12:53 PM
DasBeaver - 
whaledog - 

Well, I'll be playing 'Blues in the Bottle' in the style of Mance Lipscomb at my gig.

Listen to more Mance Lipscomb at Wolfgang's Vault.

I play it pretty much like Bernie Pearl does in this video.

Benie played with Mance (and Lightnin, McDowell, etc.) a ton. His brother owned the Ash Grove in Los Angeles, so he had unbelievable opportunities to play with these guys.  I've been taking lessons with Bernie for a few months now.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.