UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Otha Turner

3/3/12 1:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lightnin's version is really nice, too.

3/5/12 9:47 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - 

Thanks whaledog for pointing that out. The site is really, really good DasBeav! Looks amazing, layout and all, great choices.

For East Cost/Piedmont, a big favorite of mine is Blindboy Fuller's "Pistol Slapper Blues". (And yes, you're allowed to completely skip the Rory G. version for your purposes!)

Thanks Ali! For my purposes Blind Boy Fuller's version is a little more approachable, friggin Irish blues players!
3/5/12 10:01 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whaledog -
DasBeaver -
whaledog -
I don't remember how I found your site. Probably googling an old blues artist or song.

I've subscribed to its RSS feed for a couple of years now. I really like it.

Time to make some more lessons. Delta and Texas await!

That's great! Thanks man, glad you like it. I'm pretty behind with the lessons, to tell you the truth it takes so long to make those tabs it's hard to get started. If you have any suggestions for slightly obscure songs in those styles just let me know.
Well, I'll be playing 'Blues in the Bottle' in the style of Mance Lipscomb at my gig.

I play it pretty much like Bernie Pearl does in this video.

Benie played with Mance (and Lightnin, McDowell, etc.) a ton. His brother owned the Ash Grove in Los Angeles, so he had unbelievable opportunities to play with these guys. I've been taking lessons with Bernie for a few months now.

That's really cool Whaledog, really amazing that you have the chance to learn from somebody who's actually gigged with 'the real deal.' You'll have to post some of your playing sometime, if you haven't already.

And damn, Lightnin' was so unique!
3/6/12 12:40 PM
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/07/12 12:36 PM
DasBeaver - 
whaledog -
DasBeaver -
whaledog -
I don't remember how I found your site. Probably googling an old blues artist or song.

That's great! Thanks man, glad you like it. I'm pretty behind with the lessons, to tell you the truth it takes so long to make those tabs it's hard to get started. If you have any suggestions for slightly obscure songs in those styles just let me know.
Well, I'll be playing 'Blues in the Bottle' in the style of Mance Lipscomb at my gig.

Benie played with Mance (and Lightnin, McDowell, etc.) a ton. His brother owned the Ash Grove in Los Angeles, so he had unbelievable opportunities to play with these guys. I've been taking lessons with Bernie for a few months now.

That's really cool Whaledog, really amazing that you have the chance to learn from somebody who's actually gigged with 'the real deal.' You'll have to post some of your playing sometime, if you haven't already.

I'll try to record something, but nobody's gonna mistake my playing for Mance's.  I got a lifetime of practice ahead of me if I want to get close.  
3/7/12 2:10 AM
whaledog

Edited: 03/07/12 12:36 PM
whaledog - 
DasBeaver - 
whaledog -
DasBeaver -
whaledog -

I'll try to record something, but nobody's gonna mistake my playing for Mance's.  I got a lifetime of practice ahead of me if I want to get close. 
Ok, here you go.

3/7/12 11:25 AM
DasBeaver

That's beautiful man, nice job!
3/7/12 12:46 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/07/12 6:27 PM
DasBeaver - That's beautiful man, nice job!

Thank you.  

Eventually I'll go back and pick up some more of the nuances from Mance's arrangement.  I like how he mirrors the vocal melody in the 5th and 6th bars, for example. 

Seems like whenever I think I'm getting comfortable with a piece I find out there's a lot more work to do.

3/7/12 2:27 PM
DasBeaver

Haha, get used to that. Everything you learn opens the door to ten more things you don't.
3/8/12 11:36 PM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You sound really, really good whaledog!
3/9/12 11:46 AM
whaledog

Ali - You sound really, really good whaledog!

Thank you.
3/9/12 4:16 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff whaledog. Are you playing your 000-28ec in this clip?
3/9/12 4:42 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/09/12 4:42 PM
Hillbilly - Good stuff whaledog. Are you playing your 000-28ec in this clip?

Thanks.
Yep, the 000-28ec.  It's pretty much all I play these days. 

I want a resonator real bad, though.  I played some Nationals back-to-back with Chinese guitars (like Republic). You can guess which guitar won out.  You can also guess that it'll be a while before I can afford to get one.

What're you playing these days?

3/9/12 11:32 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whaledog - 

Thanks.

I want a resonator real bad, though.  I played some Nationals back-to-back with Chinese guitars (like Republic). You can guess which guitar won out.  You can also guess that it'll be a while before I can afford to get one.

I would sure like a National myself! Mainly playing my D 18, but also playing this epi es-175 lots. Love that cheap guitar..lol.

It looks to be a busy musical season for me (knock on wood) as I`m getting booked up. Just got home from a blues gig that was loads of fun..
3/10/12 12:34 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/10/12 1:59 PM
Hillbilly - 
whaledog - 

Thanks.

I would sure like a National myself! Mainly playing my D 18, but also playing this epi es-175 lots. Love that cheap guitar..lol.

It looks to be a busy musical season for me (knock on wood) as I`m getting booked up. Just got home from a blues gig that was loads of fun..
Cool.  Good to hear.

3/11/12 12:09 PM
Hillbilly

Thanks you sir! I think my next guitar is going to be a 000-15. Can`t afford a 000-28 and I like the tone of a mahogany top for blues.

I`m mostly gigging solo, but I`m also playing with a trio (guitar, upright bass, harmonica) on larger jobs. My landlord is a good blues drummer so we may have him play too on some jobs if the money is there for a quartet.

Not sure about my bluegrass gigs. We have played the last 5-6 years at a hotel balcony every Friday from 12:00 to 9:00 pm. It`s a long gig, but great for the chops. We play all acoustic and it`s one of the best music jobs in town.. We are all really sick of each other and going through a bit of band drama so I`m not even sure if we are doing it this year or not..

The problem with playing in bands is that you have to put up with other musicians..lol
3/12/12 2:37 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/12/12 4:31 PM
Hillbilly - Thanks you sir! I think my next guitar is going to be a 000-15. Can`t afford a 000-28 and I like the tone of a mahogany top for blues.

I`m mostly gigging solo, but I`m also playing with a trio (guitar, upright bass, harmonica) on larger jobs. My landlord is a good blues drummer so we may have him play too on some jobs if the money is there for a quartet.

Not sure about my bluegrass gigs. We have played the last 5-6 years at a hotel balcony every Friday from 12:00 to 9:00 pm. It`s a long gig, but great for the chops. We play all acoustic and it`s one of the best music jobs in town.. We are all really sick of each other and going through a bit of band drama so I`m not even sure if we are doing it this year or not..

The problem with playing in bands is that you have to put up with other musicians..lol
My teacher's main guitar is the same 00-15 he bought in the 50's (he also plays a 30's National for slide).   It sounds damn good.  I'm sue you'll be more than happy with a 000-15.

My band is gonna have a stand-up bass, a lap-top resonator, a drummer and me.  Hopefully it'll sound good.  We won't be able to pactice much until next week.

3/13/12 4:19 PM
Hillbilly

3/13/12 4:20 PM
Hillbilly

I play that badboy lots too for swing tunes. Has a great tone and a wide nut-width.
3/13/12 4:25 PM
Hillbilly

whaledog - 
Hillbilly - Thanks you sir! I think my next guitar is going to be a 000-15. Can`t afford a 000-28 and I like the tone of a mahogany top for blues.

My teacher's main guitar is the same 00-15 he bought in the 50's (he also plays a 30's National for slide).   It sounds damn good.  I'm sue you'll be more than happy with a 000-15.

My band is gonna have a stand-up bass, a lap-top resonator, a drummer and me.  Hopefully it'll sound good.  We won't be able to pactice much until next week.

That`s cool! I had a 000-17 years ago that sounded fantastic, but needed a neck-set.

I have a cheap reso, but the fucker came apart just sitting in it`s case..Tail-piece split/broke and the damn cone caved in.. I`m going to upgrade it as I love the neck and the old Nationals were really pretty cheap guitars with bakelite necks and such. It will make a good street guitar/beater once I replace the cone with a NationaL ($88.00) And a $5.00 tail-piece.

Glad to hear you are forming a band and gigging!
3/13/12 9:13 PM
whaledog

Edited: 03/13/12 11:40 PM
Well, I've got _a_ gig.

One step at a time.  
3/19/12 11:50 PM
Hillbilly

Here is some of the swing stuff we do:

www.soundclick.com/bands/thehogscalders
3/20/12 1:29 PM
whaledog

Hillbilly - Here is some of the swing stuff we do:

www.soundclick.com/bands/thehogscalders

Very nice!  You guys sound great.

I've got the first practice with the full band on Wed.   I hope it all goes well.
3/20/12 2:44 PM
Hillbilly

Thanks bro! We need a new CD something fierce.

You`ll do fine.Your guitar playing has really gotten good and I`m usually pretty critical of country blues players...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.