UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Best DVD series of Wrestling for MMA

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/19/12 11:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jmoney81
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure this has been answered before, but what is the best videos available right now of wrestling for MMA and grappling? Or should I just go with traditional wrestling videos? Or even Catch wrestling? Btw, what do you guys think of the BOLT wrestling DVD?
2/28/12 3:41 AM
grapplingwithzen

Edited: 01/13/13 12:07 AM
Good question, I've viewed many sets and I can't really recommend any wrestling for MMA dvds unconditionally.

As far as just pure wrestling tapes the best ones I've seen are those by Carl Adams ! Also you could check out the set published by USA wrestling.

For MMA people like the Darrel Gholar ones, but personally I thought they were just OK. There is also a set by Jackson / vanarsdale that is better. Another useful tape is Javier Vazquez Master Grappling.
2/28/12 7:18 AM
ChipW
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't seen it but I've heard mark munoz's wrestling for mma us good Phone Post
2/28/12 10:28 PM
PoundforPound
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Munoz has wrestling instructionals? Where can one purchase those?
2/29/12 10:35 AM
ChipW
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess I was mistaken because I can't find anything about it either. Someone was telling me about a wrestling for mma instructional and I could of sworn they said Munoz put it out. I must have misunderstood Phone Post
3/1/12 10:54 PM
nowaydo
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grapplingwithzen - Good question, I've viewed many sets and I can't really recommend and wrestling for MMA dvds unconditionally.

As far as just pure wrestling tapes the best ones I've seen are those by Carl Adams ! Also you could check out the set published by USA wrestling.

For MMA people like the Darrel Gholar ones, but personally I thought they were just OK. There is also a set by Jackson / vanarsdale that is better. Another useful tape is Javier Vazquez Master Grappling.

Carl Adams is great for pure wrestling fundamentals. He is a good "teacher".

Darrell Gholar all the way for MMA. I own "every wrestling 4 MMA" set known to man and his is one of the the best IMO.

Randy Couture's is a staple of mine. Very good. Excellent "teacher".

Tim Lajcik (old school MMA fans know who he is) has a good DVD set also.

Bob Anderson, one of Randy's and Dan H's original coaches and the guy who taught Rolls Gracie wrestling, set is OK too.

Greg Nelson's new Clinch DVD is great.

Wrestling 4 the BJJ Man is an excellent resource also. SUPER detailed.

Tito's set is cheap and great for the $$$.

Jackson/VAdale set wasn't that great to me. I was thinking when watching it, "I could explain that much better." I actually gave that very expensive set away. Jackson was OK, but Mike doesn't explain things well. There is a lot of material on their set, it's just they are not that good at explaining the science of wrestling.
3/20/12 2:35 AM
Tim Lajcik
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the plug, nowaydo. Glad it was helpful.

Tim Lajcik
6/26/12 3:37 AM
Liyon
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Kerr's old panther set, Seek and Destroy, is really good. Volume 1-3 is all about takedowns. You can probably find them on youtube.
7/21/12 12:04 AM
Victor Parlati

Edited: 07/21/12 9:55 AM
Did I read "Or even Catch Wrestling?"

For mma. OP asks that question.

Well how about this: the best wrestler/grappler mma has ever seen (Kazushi Sakuraba) trained in catch with Billy Robinson - beginning at the age of twelve.

Got to scientificwrestling.com and order some of Billy's instructionals. There's nothing better.
7/21/12 3:46 PM
jmoney81

Interesting that you would say that, as I was JUST recently looking back on some of the catch wrestling videos with Billy Robinson and Eric Paulson.

As I've tried to transition from a bjj guy to a MMA fighter, I've been working on my wrestling and being more aggresive with submissions.

I've always been a HUGE fan of Sakuraba. The pressure, pain compliance and brutalitly of catch wrestling seems to make more sense for MMA.

7/28/12 6:48 AM
Skpotamus
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had an old set of Erik Paulsons on takedowns. It was just takedowns, no ground control,but the whole thing was geared for MMA and covered things you don't normally see in regular wrestling DVD's, like higher shots, some sneaky takedowns, setting up takedowns with strikes, takedowns off of incoming strikes, etc.

Sakarab's instructional DVD is pretty good, even if you don't speak Japanese. His low single was one of the best weapons in MMA and he covers it quite a bit ( you can find clips on youtube).
8/4/12 1:54 AM
NINJAe973

In Phone Post
8/4/12 2:46 AM
nowaydo
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gene Mills has an excellent series of videos for MMA.
8/31/12 12:05 PM
GB Dave Jr
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about Kenny Johnson's new Bolt video?
http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=33017&cat=&page=1
9/1/12 10:55 AM
nowaydo

I haven't seen it, but the clips I've seen of Kenny are good.
1/13/13 12:12 AM
grapplingwithzen

nowaydo - 
grapplingwithzen - Good question, I've viewed many sets and I can't really recommend and wrestling for MMA dvds unconditionally.

Darrell Gholar all the way for MMA. I own "every wrestling 4 MMA" set known to man and his is one of the the best IMO.

Bob Anderson, one of Randy's and Dan H's original coaches and the guy who taught Rolls Gracie wrestling, set is OK too.

Jackson/VAdale set wasn't that great to me. I was thinking when watching it, "I could explain that much better." I actually gave that very expensive set away. Jackson was OK, but Mike doesn't explain things well. There is a lot of material on their set, it's just they are not that good at explaining the science of wrestling.

I tried to find the "Wrestling 4 the BJJ Man" set, but I didn't have any luck. Who is the author? Thanks.
1/13/13 12:39 AM
grapplingwithzen

GB Dave Jr - What about Kenny Johnson's new Bolt video?

I've watched some of this video. I thought it was good. Definitely as good as or better than many of the others. Production quality especially was excellent, and the explanations were detailed.

I would've liked to see him discuss more about training strategies, drills and so forth. Essentially he just goes through a series of techniques.

One thing I would note about this is that although there are some references to MMA, it is predominantly concerned with presenting the fundamentals of wrestling. There isn't much discussion about how to adapt to deal with strikes, setup takedowns from strikes and so forth.

I've noticed this in general when wrestlers produce tapes, even those that are supposedly targeted at MMA. They pretty much go through the fundamentals of wrestling. Now it is true that the fundamentals are still applicable, but when strikes and other factors are introduced into the equation, the whole approach does need to be modified !

The other thing when watching MMA fights is that it is relatively rare to see anything other than the more basic takedowns. As an example off the top of my head, most tapes present "running the pipe", but I struggle to think of any examples of this being used in an MMA match. Anyone?

I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on the matter.
1/14/13 6:09 AM
Xuh
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grapplingwithzen - 
GB Dave Jr - What about Kenny Johnson's new Bolt video?

I've watched some of this video. I thought it was good. Definitely as good as or better than many of the others. Production quality especially was excellent, and the explanations were detailed.

I would've liked to see him discuss more about training strategies, drills and so forth. Essentially he just goes through a series of techniques.

One thing I would note about this is that although there are some references to MMA, it is predominantly concerned with presenting the fundamentals of wrestling. There isn't much discussion about how to adapt to deal with strikes, setup takedowns from strikes and so forth.

I've noticed this in general when wrestlers produce tapes, even those that are supposedly targeted at MMA. They pretty much go through the fundamentals of wrestling. Now it is true that the fundamentals are still applicable, but when strikes and other factors are introduced into the equation, the whole approach does need to be modified !

The other thing when watching MMA fights is that it is relatively rare to see anything other than the more basic takedowns. As an example off the top of my head, most tapes present "running the pipe", but I struggle to think of any examples of this being used in an MMA match. Anyone?

I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on the matter.

Cormier vs Barnett is a recent memorable example. Cormier runs the pipe then switches to a lift

http://www.chrisansari.com/misc/ug/cormier-slam-barnett1.gif
2/6/13 12:28 AM
Soul Gravy

grapplingwithzen - 
nowaydo - 

I tried to find the "Wrestling 4 the BJJ Man" set, but I didn't have any luck. Who is the author? Thanks.

http://www.wrestlingplan.com/

His name is Salamone.
2/16/13 2:03 PM
The Wallabee Kingpin
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
9/7/13 5:59 PM
shen
1356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/07/13 6:01 PM

Not really familiar with the other videos mentioned, but feel free to check out my stuff.

Here's a highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z75t6spYA3o
9/7/13 7:08 PM
de braco
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was awesome! The lateral drops were incredible. Thanks

9/8/13 1:46 AM
shen
1356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

de braco - 

That was awesome! The lateral drops were incredible. Thanks

Thanks bro!

:)
12/5/13 10:39 PM
Dan Pagan

In Phone Post 3.0
12/10/13 6:33 PM
mongrel 911
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pure Gold right here. A years worth of lessons. Team Quests Matt Lindland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN1p85ZveS0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.