UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Trapping, Wing Chun - is this alive enough?

3/1/12 5:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNFi-Exhh70&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmxb4zXuFd8

Is this Demi Barbito???
3/1/12 9:11 PM
BJJSavate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gracie North Carolina, Chief Instructor
Kevin Curtis - 
var so = new SWFObject("http://www.youtube.com/v/DIlqYHY6oZU", "postVideo-38279688-Flash", "425", "355", "9.0.28", "##000"); so.addParam("allowScriptAccess", "samedomain"); so.addParam("allowNetworking", "internal"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent"); so.write("postVideo-38279688"); men!

Some very cool footage! Thanks for sharing!
3/2/12 6:29 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, that's me in that clip. Adam Singer once called me handsome.

True story...
3/2/12 11:28 PM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True that Phone Post
3/20/12 12:12 PM
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/20/12 4:49 PM
No comment. I refuse to have a technical discussion with you then and it seems like you can't say or discuss anything better. And it has come to my attention that you're the moderator for the weapons forum. LOL. Ironic. Moving on . . .
3/20/12 9:31 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Siciliano - No comment. I refuse to have a technical discussion with you then and it seems like you can't say or discuss anything better. And it has come to my attention that you're the moderator for the weapons forum. LOL. Ironic. Moving on . . .

Good. I dislike fighting. I dislike martial arts.

I like fun things.
3/20/12 11:09 PM
Siciliano

Edited: 03/21/12 2:02 PM
Seriously, you're a good musician though. And damn good looking too. =)
3/27/12 8:12 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Siciliano - Seriously, you're a good musician though. And damn good looking too. =)

You have incredible insight Sir...
3/28/12 11:52 AM
Siciliano

Pointing out the obvious never qualifies as insightful or profound.
3/30/12 9:52 PM
Siciliano

No one else from the aliveness crew willing to talk about technical and conceptual stuff? It just blows my mind why suddenly, the critics (who are in the cutting edge of weapons training) become silent.

I'm willing to share concepts with anyone. Actually, had a private conversation with Jerry Wetzel - I'll be posting some instrucitonal clips on youtube soon when I get the time. Unarmed defenses against bladed attacks.
4/9/12 3:26 AM
BreakUnose

Hey man,

I watched the clips you sent. Looks like you guys are having a blast.

I have no comment regarding all the knife on knifey stuff as it's not my thing. I don't do it, teach it, or view it as a priority when it comes to self defense.

As for the empty hand knife defense stuff there wasn't much to evaluate. Looked like a demo for friends as opposed to real time application.

Jerry
4/9/12 12:43 PM
Siciliano

I'll come up with the clip when I have the time.

The movements of knife on knifey stuff is important to learn how to defend unarmed against the knife.

Think of it this way. Going to the ground in a streetfight isn't advisable, but taht doesn't mean you shouldn't practice BJJ. For you to dfend well and get back up, a basic rudimentary knowledge of the guard is crucial.
4/9/12 12:43 PM
Siciliano

BTW, congrats on your wedding anniversary bro! I'm sure it wasn't a prank. :)
4/10/12 2:58 AM
BreakUnose

LOL! Thanks man:)

I hear you. I dig where you're coming from. Like I said, I'd have to see more in a fully resistant setting.

I don't subscribe to the notion that learning to fight with a knife is a necessity in order to defend against a knife attack. It is important to understand how real knife attacks happen though.
4/16/12 10:58 PM
lloydmtz
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/16/12 10:58 PM
What is the "cutting edge in weapons training"? Man has been hitting and stabbing each other with weapons since the dawn of time. How do you improve upon that?
4/17/12 11:45 AM
Siciliano

^^^ You're very right lloydmtz ^^^

That's why I believe the greatest sword/knife fighters were elite soldiers like the samurai, conquistadors, etc.

However, someone from the "aliveness" crew laughed at that reasoning I gave in another subforum. Yet they sings hi praises to this so-called "weapons expert" who claims to be a JKD renegade. LOL.
4/27/12 3:24 AM
mulder68
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I only watched maybe 30 seconds of the first ( knife v knife) video and I seen each guy get hit multiple times on the arms and body. Were you using real knives the drill would have ended pretty quickly. The reality knife attacks don't happen like that. What you are demonstrating is dangerous and should NEVER be used in a 'live' situation. There are no 100% effective knife defense systems but by far the best and most realistic is the STAB PROGRAM taught by Karl Tanswell, who has, unlike most teachers of knife defense been stabbed multiple times. Watch it and then disregard all the other stuff that will get you killed. Phone Post
4/27/12 8:45 PM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL

5/1/12 4:14 PM
Siciliano

mulder,

I stand corrected. Mr. Tanswell is the ultimate authority when it comes to real bladed defenses. Being stabbed multiple times makes him an expert.

Unlike my instructors, Romy Macapagal. Topher Ricketts and Tom Dy and their teacher, Antonio Ilustrisimo.

Mr. Tanswell should teach me the way of the sword. Again, my sincerest apologies.
5/6/12 12:02 PM
lloydmtz
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So if I get Shot Multiple times and then develop a "bullet defense" program called SHOT (Surviving Hot Object Trauma) and market it that would make my Program more "realistic" then either avoiding bad situations or wearing full body armor?

No one knows what is going to happen when their life is TRULY on the line. The Deadly Intent of someone trying to kill you as opposed to "teaching you a lesson" are two different things. Even if a weapon is involved.
5/23/12 7:09 PM
WidespreadPanic

This slap fighting is silly and this is NOT the way to learn to fight with a knife.

No forward pressure, little understanding of range.

Sorry.

5/23/12 8:55 PM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

forward pressure! that is brilliant. can you expand on that notion?

Hey demi, what do you thing of Derek Trucks' right hand? Any opinion on the pod hd5000?

understanding of range! good stuff
5/24/12 9:30 AM
pray for japan

hahahahaha post this video in the otherground/underground please Phone Post
5/24/12 1:42 PM
WidespreadPanic

Paul Hopkins - forward pressure! that is brilliant. can you expand on that notion?

Hey demi, what do you thing of Derek Trucks' right hand? Any opinion on the pod hd5000?

understanding of range! good stuff

Paul, I can. Consider that even a good tennis player, when a ball is hit right down his 'open line', and his footwork is not stable, feels a sense of a 'vacuum', or being very open to an attack. He's caught slightly off-balance. When a good knife fighter advances just as you are in 'change footwork' you feel his forward pressure and have literally nothing to give him, and it's difficult to retreat. This forward pressure is similar to that notion that Marc (crafty dog) talks about  when he's using his dog catcher attack. 

If you don't have the understanding of the range of the blade and when you're in the 'circle' and you don't have a grasp of the speed of the blade (acquired via a certain method) you can't bring that forward pressure, and even a person with 'quick hands' is not going to do more than bring stemmed attacks, or shallow attacks, which are easily countered with wrist cuts.

Anyway, I don't see the necessary base training in those videos, though it's clear the players have martial arts training.
5/24/12 8:34 PM
Paul Hopkins

hacky sack is what's missing. If you don't have fast feet you are fucked

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.