UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Who regularly eats small game?

2/21/12 10:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wondering who here regularly eats wild small game. Rabbits, squirrels, etc. Anyone eat possum? I can't imagine eating one of those nasty fuckers unless SHTF.

Share your small game recipes here. I love rabbit but have only had it a few times. Wondering if you guys have any HEALTHY squirrel recipes that don't taste like shit? Someone suggested making jerky, I may try that.
2/23/12 7:29 PM
LeroyJ
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat pheasant, duck & rabbit pretty frequently. Here's my favorite pheasant recipe.

First off, leave the skin on & pluck the damn things. Don't be lazy & just skin them. All of the fat that makes it moist will be in the skin.

De-bone the pheasant. Marinade in Milk, garlic & cardamom seeds for 12-24 hours

Quarter or cut into chunks

dust with flour/salt/paprika mixture

dip in egg wash flavored with tabasco

dip 2nd time in four mixture

Bake or deep fry until done, but don't overcook. Med-rare is best, anything more than medium tends to turn the meat grey & dries it out.
2/24/12 1:31 PM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds good, thanks Leroy Phone Post
3/3/12 4:50 PM
de braco
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was raised on varmints. Squirrel fried like chicken was my favorite growing up.
6/3/12 3:21 PM
MountainMedic
730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my fave duck recipe is pretty simple

i agree with leaving the skin on for most recipes, but not this one.
clean it well, then marinate in merlot for 24-36 hrs. salt & pepper the cavity & outside. Place on smoker. It ends up very soft, almost like patte. last time I made it we were literally just scooping it with crackers. delicious 7 the meat is all purple, usually a biig hit.

been a long while, I gotta go blast some ducks this season!
-MM
6/4/12 1:54 PM
NonIntervention

I always liked squirrel substituted for chicken in chicken and dumplings.
6/5/12 5:19 PM
LeroyJ

Smoked duck is awesome!!! Sounds great.

OK, here's another one for Rabbit.

There a couple of ways to cook rabbit, fast or slow. Anything in between can turn to rubber, so I go with either, or.

Fast - De-bone the rabbit and get the meat. Flash fry with bell peppers, onions, black bean sauce and chili sauce and fresh ginger.

Slow - Slow cook whole rabbit(s) in stock pot with water, onion, carrot, celery for 3 hours on a stock making temperature (not boiling, but still bubbling a bit). When done, remove rabbits, let cool, remove meat from bones.

From there, you can use the meat for sandwich topping, or put it into a rabbit stew using the stock you just made. Also good for Tacos/Burritos/Enchilada filling.
6/6/12 8:44 AM
LeftBench

Leroy I like the Taco filling idea! Thanks
6/7/12 4:35 PM
USMC Blackhearts
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have eaten rabbit a few times that was gamey and not that great.  However once I started soaking it overnight in buttermilk it made a world of difference.  No more gamey taste and it makes for a delicious stew.  I've had a few buddies taste it without knowing what it was and they had no idea it was rabbit.  They all said it was delicious and were shocked to find out what it was.
6/7/12 5:57 PM
LeroyJ

I'm about to add a lot more rabbit to my diet. Asshol&^'s just destroyed my cukes and zucchini plants.
6/7/12 6:02 PM
MountainMedic
730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha! Get em! Phone Post
11/29/13 2:03 PM
tater145
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I quarter up squirrels, dip them in andys cajun seasoning and fry them until they are golden brown. Phone Post 3.0
12/1/13 3:33 AM
tylery101
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for ideas. I eat squirrel and dumplings when my wife makes then for me. Phone Post 3.0
1/16/14 5:02 AM
OxymoronicalAmbiguity
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - my fave duck recipe is pretty simple

i agree with leaving the skin on for most recipes, but not this one.
clean it well, then marinate in merlot for 24-36 hrs. salt & pepper the cavity & outside. Place on smoker. It ends up very soft, almost like patte. last time I made it we were literally just scooping it with crackers. delicious 7 the meat is all purple, usually a biig hit.

been a long while, I gotta go blast some ducks this season!
-MM
I'll have to try this. VU Phone Post 3.0
1/20/14 3:50 AM
MrFluffyHippo
1916 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My wife is only 115 Phone Post 3.0
3/22/14 9:31 AM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat a lot of small game but I live way out in the woods/hills. I was brought up on game and think it`s much healthier than eating the hormone infested meat at the store.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.