UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Quarry, Florian making transition to broadcasting

2/23/12 3:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Bas Rutten began it - the transition from professional fighter to professional broadcaster. Now TUF 1 veterans Nate Quarry and Kenny Florian are following the same path.

Quarry makes his broadcasting debut tonight at 11 p.m. ET/PT as co host of "MMA Uncensored Live" on Spike TV.

"It seems on the radio you get a lot more guys who give their opinion and talk about who they want to win," said Quarry. "But as soon as they transfer from radio to TV it's like watching paint dry. Everyone's afraid to get excited about the fight and talk about who they think is going to win."

Quarry is unafraid of non-conventional opinions -  he thinks Anderson Silva may beat Chael Sonnen this summer, and retire.

"I'm sure (Anderson Silva)'s been making so much money over the past few years and then you convertt that to Brazilian dollars, he's probably set for two or three lifetimes ... Why would he necessarily want to go back into a three or fourth month fight camp, always in pain, always have to wake up and train when you've done so much already? There comes a point where he's saying "you know what? I've got enough money. I've got enough fame. My country loves me. I've set plenty of records.'"

Florian started broadcasting as part of ESPN's MMA Live show, and now works for FUEL TV. He will be woring as a fight analyst, breaking down the world's fastest growing, and arguably most complex sport for a new generation of fans.

"I hated it when I got critiqued as a fighter," said Florian. "So much goes into a fight that people never see, the countless hours of training, the diet, dealing with injuries. The worst feeling in the world, for me anyway, is to lose. Knowing how I felt, it's been hard for me to rip apart a guy after his fight."

Read entire article...

Quarry commented on his new gig on the UG

Zombie Cage Fighter

I've only commentated in small shows.

I did enjoy doing it but don't have a huge desire to follow that path. If it comes up, I'll take a shot at it but honestly, I don't need to have everyone critique every comment I make during a show. That's everyone's right of course and for the most part here, everyone has been respectful even if they don't care for whoever they're talking about.

It's very tough to live in the public's eye. Sure we signed up for it to some extent but we're still all people.

I always think about the Pres of the USA. Any of them. Guess what? Nearly FIFTY percent of the US population hates you and is going to think everything you do sucks.

Even Rampage going off on Rogan. Really? You're mad because he does his job well?

On my new show MMA Uncensored Live on Spike Tv, I HAVE to give my fight picks. So half of the fighters are going to be pissed at me. But if I just said, "Wow! Two great fighters, I can't pick" then not only would I lose my job but I'd be branded a pussy.

When I hear Kenny commentate I'm blown away cuz he really knows his shit. Way better than I do. Some of the "journalists" I see on tv, I don't really care for. I'd rather have a newspaper propped up in front of the camera so I can read the scores, it'd be more exciting.

But what I like about my show is I just get to be me. And my co-hosts get to be them. Love them or hate them, you're going to have an opinion.

Oh, one small show the guy with me says that the hammer fists from a really fat heavyweight don't do much damage.

"Actually, I'd say that's like getting hit with a big ole Christmas ham."

I liked that one...

2/23/12 4:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thinking Anderson is going to beat Sonnen is a non-conventional opinion?
2/23/12 4:03 PM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

glad they found something else

2/23/12 4:04 PM
inf0
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Power -  Thinking Anderson is going to beat Sonnen is a non-conventional opinion?

lol

2/23/12 4:05 PM
Gnarly219
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reckoner - Brian Stann shits all over these guys.

2/23/12 4:20 PM
RandyDarsh
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish quarry the best, and ken flo.

Quarry has always came off as a genuine guy so it's nice to see him do well. Phone Post
2/23/12 4:27 PM
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Florian has got to be critical when a fighter's performance calls for it.  Not every fight and fighter is awesome.  So far he's selling bullshit on the mic...a downside to using Zuffa employees on the stick for sure.
2/23/12 4:31 PM
aaroncev

So Florian's retired? I thought he was still thinking about fighting.
2/23/12 5:26 PM
CindyO

RandyDarsh -  I wish quarry the best, and ken flo.

Quarry has always came off as a genuine guy so it's nice to see him do well. Phone Post

This!

Cindy
2/23/12 5:28 PM
Authority Figure

Brian, Kenny and Frank Mir are equally great at commentating.
2/23/12 5:31 PM
Chomas
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Florian does an excellent job IMO. Phone Post
2/23/12 5:31 PM
clayclamitia
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone know why spike ditched the mma junkie live title? Do they have anything to do with the show anymore? Phone Post
2/23/12 5:37 PM
Leghound
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
RandyDarsh -  I wish quarry the best, and ken flo.

This!

Cindy

THAT!

Leghound
2/23/12 5:42 PM
jjj2121

clayclamitia -  Does anyone know why spike ditched the mma junkie live title? Do they have anything to do with the show anymore? Phone Post

No they aren't and I'm sure you can figure out why.
2/23/12 5:59 PM
ufcman187

I guess when you run out of weight classes to jump to you have to make a transition to something. I got 20 bucks saying when he finds out he can't beat Joe Rogan out of a job he switches his profession to bell ringer ! lol.
2/23/12 6:08 PM
goodandevil

I wish florian would do something else completely, anything that I would not be subjected to him. Phone Post
2/23/12 7:16 PM
clayclamitia
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 -
clayclamitia -  Does anyone know why spike ditched the mma junkie live title? Do they have anything to do with the show anymore? Phone Post

No they aren't and I'm sure you can figure out why.
Because of the term "junkie". Thats the only thing I can think of that makes sense. Pretty dumb if you ask me. One of the best mma sites out there in my opinion. Phone Post
2/23/12 11:52 PM
Defecation

Btw, what's up with Goldie/Rogan not being used on the FX/Fuel shows? I think it really detracts their enjoyment.
2/24/12 12:47 AM
ortman166

ufcman187 - I guess when you run out of weight classes to jump to you have to make a transition to something. I got 20 bucks saying when he finds out he can't beat Joe Rogan out of a job he switches his profession to bell ringer ! lol.
Lmao Phone Post
2/24/12 4:40 AM
Nate 'Rock' Quarry
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zombie Cage Fighter

I really hope he doesn't because I have no desire to be defecated upon.
Don't hate what you don't understand son. I'm not trying to take anyone's job. I'm just enjoying being able to speak my opinion like any d-bag fan on a forum can. Except I'm not anonymous. Pow!
2/24/12 6:03 AM
Thacommish
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nate 'Rock' Quarry - 

Don't hate what you don't understand son. I'm not trying to take anyone's job. I'm just enjoying being able to speak my opinion like any d-bag fan on a forum can. Except I'm not anonymous. Pow!

hell yeah ttt for nate quarry, just caught a replay of the show keep up the good work man good to see you on spike again
2/24/12 6:06 AM
Nate 'Rock' Quarry
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zombie Cage Fighter
Thacommish - 
Nate 'Rock' Quarry - 

hell yeah ttt for nate quarry, just caught a replay of the show keep up the good work man good to see you on spike again

Thanks man! I went from fan to fighter to fan again. Full circle!
2/24/12 6:28 AM
Humphrey

Edited: 02/24/12 6:29 AM
i think Nate will do well, but Florian is about as exciting as pudding. He tries VERY hard, but that example he and Anik put on at that last show just shows that he will never be a big guy in broadcast. At least not live events.  he needs a LOT of work. And frankly that bums me out, because I like kenny and hoped it'd work. he might do OK as a reporter, but never live commentary again, please. The way he tries to talk up every thing every fighter does just comes across as very disingenuous, which is pretty obvious since nobody likes everyone. I think that's why Joe is so good, because he says things that are clearly his real opinion, but he's VERY exciting and can get away with it. kenny has no redeeming qualities at a live event. he couldn't pull it off.

Thankfully Nate's going a different way.  Maybe it's because I've always been a huge Nate fan, but I think he's got a much better shot.
2/24/12 6:31 AM
Humphrey

jjj2121 -  Florian has got to be critical when a fighter's performance calls for it.  Not every fight and fighter is awesome.  So far he's selling bullshit on the mic...a downside to using Zuffa employees on the stick for sure.

i completely missed your post, but that's exactly what I was trying to say. thank god someone else sees it.
2/24/12 10:26 AM
Nate 'Rock' Quarry

Zombie Cage Fighter
ChokeEmOut - I'm not sold on Quarry as I don't recall ever hearing him commentate. Florian though is solid for the most part.

Very true. I've only commentated in small shows.
I did enjoy doing it but don't have a huge desire to follow that path. If it comes up, I'll take a shot at it but honestly, I don't need to have everyone critique every comment I make during a show. That's everyone's right of course and for the most part here, everyone has been respectful even if they don't care for whoever they're talking about.
It's very tough to live in the public's eye. Sure we signed up for it to some extent but we're still all people.
I always think about the Pres of the USA. Any of them. Guess what? Nearly FIFTY percent of the US population hates you and is going to think everything you do sucks.
Even Rampage going off on Rogan. Really? You're mad because he does his job well?
On my new show MMA Uncensored Live on Spike Tv, I HAVE to give my fight picks. So half of the fighters are going to be pissed at me. But if I just said, "Wow! Two great fighters, I can't pick" then not only would I lose my job but I'd be branded a pussy.
When I hear Kenny commentate I'm blown away cuz he really knows his shit. Way better than I do. Some of the "journalists" I see on tv, I don't really care for. I'd rather have a newspaper propped up in front of the camera so I can read the scores, it'd be more exciting.
But what I like about my show is I just get to be me. And my co-hosts get to be them. Love them or hate them, you're going to have an opinion.
Oh, one small show the guy with me says that the hammer fists from a really fat heavyweight don't do much damage.
"Actually, I'd say that's like getting hit with a big ole Christmas ham."
I liked that one...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.