UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Ronald Shannon Jackson

3/27/13 1:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/27/13 1:20 AM
Didn't we do that already? (Or was a Sonny Sharrock thread?) Anyway... Of course!

Even though I'm more a Decoding Society admirer. Sometimes it's good to let Last Exit bring the noise....

MajicSam -- let me know if you have other particular Last Exit vids in mind.
4/23/13 11:37 AM
hugomma
945 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for pheonix5.
4/23/13 1:41 PM
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/23/13 1:43 PM
Ali

4/23/13 1:57 PM
Ali

And extended solo -- which is not typical. Ronald Shannon Jackson was invited the performance/lecture series at the University of North Texas, in 2007:

4/23/13 2:01 PM
hugomma
945 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SWEET!!!!!!  Thanks Ali, ttt.

4/23/13 2:32 PM
Ali

Edited: 04/23/13 8:16 PM
UNT part 2, with excerpts from the lecture

"In music... YOU are going to be the saviors of this planet, you musicians. It's all been dumped in your hands. You are the people who can change it. And you can change it through sound."
4/23/13 11:42 PM
hugomma

Notes from Shannon:

"This raw totally improvised song" This Groove Hear" is based on a rhythmic idea, the rest is the emotional wondering feeling touching connecting of that moment, by the spirits of JEF LEE JOHNSON,guitar. DAVE "FUZE" FICUZYNSKI,guitar. DOM RICHARDS,electric bass.? Ronald Shannon Jackson, drums...the album Raven Roc, an oracle of the Big Apple now.....in rhythm Shannon"

"Thanks to Kazunori Sugiyama and the Japanes people at DIW records for preserving this music .....in rhythm Shannon"

4/24/13 12:05 AM
pheonix5
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - 

Wow ! Wait, what time signature was that ?

Just kidding. Man, that's some jammin' right there.

Thanks hugomma, that's some good stuff. I'm officially a fan now. I will continue to look into these guy's.
4/24/13 12:33 AM
hugomma

pheonix5 - 
Ali - 

Wow ! Wait, what time signature was that ?

Just kidding. Man, that's some jammin' right there.

Thanks hugomma, that's some good stuff. I'm officially a fan now. I will continue to look into these guy's.

Ah, some late 80's RSJ, with the late, great Jef Lee Johnson on the green Strat (RIP Jef Lee, he died just a few months ago.  Broke my heart...).  As good a place to start as any.

If you dig this, you're in for a treat.  Different bands, sounds, ideas...Fuckin' Shannon's a creative bottomless pit. Some of my favorite stuff is music he played live last year at the Kessler Theater.  Or the early 80's stuff with Vernon Reid & Melvin Gibbs.  Or...oh man, I don't know.  I love pretty much everything I've heard.

The man is a force of nature, & one of my favortie artists.  Ali turned me on to him, & I haven't been the same since. 

4/24/13 12:37 AM
hugomma

RSJ's Decoding Society, part 2 of 4.

4/24/13 12:42 AM
Ali

That was a great edition of the Decoding Society (they all are, I guess). I think Kon Mathieu (Konrad, Conrad, Conny.... etc) is interesting -- somewhere between Melvin Gibbs and Jamaaladeen Tacuma.
4/24/13 12:52 AM
hugomma

Edited: 04/24/13 1:03 AM
Ali - And extended solo -- which is not typical. Ronald Shannon Jackson was invited the performance/lecture series at the University of North Texas, in 2007:

Man, for a guy who's not into drum solos, he sure puts together some of the most interesting drum solos I've ever heard.  This is like the 3rd or 4th solo on this thead, & each one is different than the other.  Besides the obvious chops, his creativity & compositional tendencies shine through.

So far I got through parts 1 & 2 of the '88 show, & have a brand new appreciation for the unsung Mr. De Salvo, on the red Start, while simlutaneously reminded of how much I miss Jef Lee.

I agree, all versions of the Decoding Society were pretty great.

Ali, check out "This Groove Hear" when you get a chance, & please check your email.

4/24/13 1:03 AM
hugomma

Ali - UNT part 2, with excerpts from the lecture

"In music... YOU are going to be the saviors of this planet, you musicians. It's all been dumped in your hands. You are the people who can change it. And you can change it through sound."

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a bass drum turned to the side like that.  And Shannon's marching band influce came out strong in that solo.

Wish there was more of the schalmei horn.  I got the sense he was about to go off.

You get a sense from the video that Shannon's as big and beautiful a personality as he is a musician. 

5/11/13 4:13 PM
Ali

Edited: 05/11/13 4:14 PM
I'm not altogether sure what this is. I found it on a list of RSJ favorites. It definitely sounds like him in his "march rhythm" mode. Is it Akira Sakata? (The record Shannon's on with Akira Sakata that I know about isn't this -- that's a sparse trio record). No idea. Cool as hell, though. Soundtrack to a samurai swordfighting video game. If anyone can read any of it, let me know!

6/9/13 2:30 AM
soundoff71

Ali - I'm not altogether sure what this is. I found it on a list of RSJ favorites. It definitely sounds like him in his "march rhythm" mode. Is it Akira Sakata? (The record Shannon's on with Akira Sakata that I know about isn't this -- that's a sparse trio record). No idea. Cool as hell, though. Soundtrack to a samurai swordfighting video game. If anyone can read any of it, let me know!

Somehow I missed this.  I'd love to know more about this.  Who was the guitarist?  Jef Lee?  Cary DeNigris?  It didn't sound like Vernon or Fuze to me, & the only thing DeSalvo's on is "Red Warrior".  The production, chorused bass, tempos, & over all feel reminds me of some of the stuff on "Shannon's House" .

6/9/13 2:37 AM
soundoff71

Here's something else from the same '99 Knitting Factory show that brought us "Warren".  I have no idea what this is called, but it's somewhere between Mahavishnu & distorted bop.  And another good one to rub people's noses in the next time someone tries to say Vernon's a sloppy player.  And Shannnon at 4:03 is like an octopus on crank.

I'm dying to hear more of this show. 

6/9/13 2:44 AM
Ali

Edited: 06/09/13 3:00 AM
soundoff71 - 
Ali - I'm not altogether sure what this is. I found it on a list of RSJ favorites. It definitely sounds like him in his "march rhythm" mode. Is it Akira Sakata? (The record Shannon's on with Akira Sakata that I know about isn't this -- that's a sparse trio record). No idea. Cool as hell, though. Soundtrack to a samurai swordfighting video game. If anyone can read any of it, let me know!

Somehow I missed this.  I'd love to know more about this.  Who was the guitarist?  Jef Lee?  Cary DeNigris?  It didn't sound like Vernon or Fuze to me, & the only thing DeSalvo's on is "Red Warrior".  The production, chorused bass, tempos, & over all feel reminds me of some of the stuff on "Shannon's House" .

I confess I"m not 100% sure. I haven't found this ANYWHERE else. BUT... I'm 99% sure for most of it, assuming (which I think is reasonable) it's Shannon on drums... it's a sort leap to figuring out it's a Laswell production. And that means, in that era, it's L. Shankar on violin. Not sure if it's Sakata on sax -- I'd bet not, but I don't know who it might be. OK, if I were a betting man, I'd say it was Henry Threadgill (!). Laswell did produce "Too Much Sugar...." so Threadgill was in the loop. I'm guessing therefore Laswell on bass... and that would make the guitarist, given that sound.... Nicky Skopelitis. Took me a few days for that dawn on me, but I really can't imagine it's anyone else.

All this is uncertain. Just my ears, talking, here.

Your comment warms my heart, because it means you've listened to "Shannon's House". Do you love that like I do???
6/9/13 3:02 AM
soundoff71

Ali - 
soundoff71 - 

I confess I"m not 100% sure. I haven't found this ANYWHERE else. BUT... I'm 99% sure for most of it, assuming (which I think is reasonable) it's Shannon on drums... it's a sort leap to figuring out it's a Laswell production. And that means, in that era, it's L. Shankar on violin. Not sure if it's Sakata on sax -- I'd bet not, but I don't know who it might be. OK, if I were a betting man, I'd say it was Henry Threadgill (!). Laswell did produce "Too Much Sugar...." so Threadgill was in the loop. I'm guessing therefore Laswell on bass... and that would make the guitarist, given that sound.... Nicky Skopelitis. Took me a few days for that dawn on me, but I really can't imagine it's anyone else.

All this is uncertain. Just my ears, talking, here.

Your comment warms my heart, because it means you've listened to "Shannon's House". Do you love that like I do???

Ali,

I'm flat out freaking out over "Shannon's House".  One of his best, IMHO.  It belongs up there with "Mandance", "Barbeque Dog", "What Spirit Say", "When Colors Play", & the new shit he did at the Kessler Theater last summer.  The stripped down version of "Ashes" is much better to my ears than the one on "Red Warrior".

Love it, thanks for turning me on to it.

Check out the video I just posted.  We gotta find that show.  Those three were on fire that night.

6/9/13 3:13 AM
Ali

Edited: 06/09/13 3:07 PM
soundoff71 - 

Here's something else from the same '99 Knitting Factory show that brought us "Warren".  I have no idea what this is called, but it's somewhere between Mahavishnu & distorted bop.  And another good one to rub people's noses in the next time someone tries to say Vernon's a sloppy player.  And Shannnon at 4:03 is like an octopus on crank.

Yeah, I wish this show were available on CD, or DVD.... I think the clips of this show were broadcast on BET, which is why the video quality is so high. The whole show, not. (If it was a "show", I don't know). The tunes I've seen were insterstitial stuff between interview segments, where Vernon Reid did most of the talking.

Vernon is perhaps my favorite "shredder". He's one of the most creative players ever... and I think severely underrated. Even hardcore Living Colour fans have no idea. That said, this particular clip is a very 'outside' ... I love it, but I get why it's not eerybody's cup of tea.

I didn't know Melvin played 5-string. Or I forgot He's a groovemonster.

And Shannon is just the BOSS on this stuff. Literally, obviously, but also musically, spiritually.... He's the most musical and powerful of drummers, ever, both.
6/10/13 2:52 AM
soundoff71

Ali - 
soundoff71 - 

Yeah, I wish this show were available on CD, or DVD.... I think the clips of this show were broadcast on BET, which is why the video quality is so high. The whole show, not. (If it was a "show", I don't know). The tunes I've seen were insterstitial stuff between interview segments, where Vernon Reid did most of the talking.

Vernon is perhaps my favorite "shredder". He's one of the most creative players ever... and I think severely underrated. Even hardcore Living Colour fans have no idea. That said, this particular clip is a very 'outside' ... I love it, but I get why it's not eerybody's cup of tea.

I didn't know Melvin played 5-string. Or I forgot He's a groovemonster.

And Shannon is just the BOSS on this stuff. Literally, obviously, but also musically, spiritually.... He's the most musical and powerful of drummers, ever, both.

I asked Melvin & Shannon on Facebook about this. Vernon wrote it, it's called "Outskirts".  Waiting to hear if there's anywhere to get this stuff on CD, MP3, DVD, etc.

I agree, Shannon's one of the most imaginative, creative drummers & musicians in the history of music.  The man never ceases to amaze me.

6/10/13 4:49 AM
Ali

Vernon Reid recorded Outskirts in the studio on the second Masque record. It sounds very different with that line-up, and just his own choices for tone. (I think we've heard "Strange Blessing", also from the same record, with Melvin and Shannon from this same gig. That's a beauty).
6/14/13 1:13 PM
soundoff71

Ali - Vernon Reid recorded Outskirts in the studio on the second Masque record. It sounds very different with that line-up, and just his own choices for tone. (I think we've heard "Strange Blessing", also from the same record, with Melvin and Shannon from this same gig. That's a beauty).

I couldn't find "Strange Blessing" on YouTube.  The only other one I could find was "Warren (aka A Tribute to Sonny Sharrock)".  Can you post it, Ali?  What I've heard from this show just blows my mind.

6/14/13 2:00 PM
Ali

Edited: 06/15/13 12:23 AM
I can't find it now either. I found the Masque one bt that has no RSJ, for purposes of this thread. It also has weird production, or at least guitar tone. I don't know if I saw it the one I'm thinking of on dvd (ripped from the BET broadcast), or it's gone from youtube... OR... I'm imagining things.
6/16/13 2:52 AM
soundoff71

Thanks for letting me know about this Ali, VTFU & TTT.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.