UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Ronald Shannon Jackson

6/16/13 2:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
soundoff71
1014 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Part 2 of RSJ, Wadad, Vijay, & Lindberg.  Cool RSJ solo in the intro.

6/16/13 2:56 AM
soundoff71
1014 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/16/13 3:24 AM

This guy's RSJ vinyl is enough to make me drool.  Wish we could get him on the SG.

6/16/13 5:32 AM
Ali
731 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's cool to see this VC dude being so in love with the same music.... WE"RE NOT ALONE! I was nodding to myself and feeling smug along the lines of "got that, got that... got that..." with each vinyl he went by. Then I was like.. WTF???? Didn't mention "Man Dance"???? Mention the record label Antilles, mention the producer of Decode Yourself, but don't mention Man Dance????

Then it's like... oh ok. He has in CD. Can't find his vinyl copy. And then at the end, he shows freaking Charles Tyler record with Ronald Shannon Jackson and Henry Grimes. ... OK. he got me. I never had that one.

If I were younger and stronger (or at least thinnier) and if I still had hair growing on top, I might think I was that guy...

But because of age, primarily, I listened to Living Colour becaus e it was a band led by that hotshot guitar player who was in the Decoding Society. Yeah. I'm just an old dude.

The moment I saw that guy's Screaming Headless Torsos t-shirt, though, I guessed he must be at least preatty groovy.
6/16/13 4:13 PM
soundoff71

Ali - It's cool to see this VC dude being so in love with the same music.... WE"RE NOT ALONE! I was nodding to myself and feeling smug along the lines of "got that, got that... got that..." with each vinyl he went by. Then I was like.. WTF???? Didn't mention "Man Dance"???? Mention the record label Antilles, mention the producer of Decode Yourself, but don't mention Man Dance????

Then it's like... oh ok. He has in CD. Can't find his vinyl copy. And then at the end, he shows freaking Charles Tyler record with Ronald Shannon Jackson and Henry Grimes. ... OK. he got me. I never had that one.

If I were younger and stronger (or at least thinnier) and if I still had hair growing on top, I might think I was that guy...

But because of age, primarily, I listened to Living Colour becaus e it was a band led by that hotshot guitar player who was in the Decoding Society. Yeah. I'm just an old dude.

The moment I saw that guy's Screaming Headless Torsos t-shirt, though, I guessed he must be at least preatty groovy.

He reminded me of kids I knew with their comic book collections. 

And yeah, he's one of us.  It feels good to know there are more out there.  We need more dudes out there to spread the word when Shannon gets is music together & finds a full time harmoldic bassist that can hang.

6/16/13 4:22 PM
soundoff71

A great version of this song, that finally made me realize there were no keyboards on this.  And Melvin getting SCREWED by the cameraman, once again, LOL. 

Melvin posted this on the Dark Forces Swing Blind Punches blog:

"I must say though, it always bothers me that the video crew couldn't figure out that I was the one who was soloing for most of my solo AND they managed to miss my slide stuff! grr!"

6/16/13 4:28 PM
soundoff71

Some one used the live version of "Alice in the Congo" from the Montreux show as the soundtrack to a personal road trip movie around Sweden...or is it Norway?

6/18/13 2:44 AM
soundoff71

Found an awesome interview with Melvin Gibbs that has a version of "Blood Life" with Encryption (Melvin, Vernon, & Shannon) from the Moers Fest.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2011/06/heavy-metal-be-bop-4-interview-with-melvin-gibbs/

The more of this trio that I hear, the more I want to hear.

7/22/13 1:04 AM
soundoff71

Encryption at the Bimhuis on Sept 6, 2011.

7/22/13 2:52 AM
Ali
731 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there's a restless, uncomfortable ambient thing, nice find -- worlds apart from the prior Encryption clip. And the drums rule.
7/22/13 12:13 PM
soundoff71

Yep, the drums ALWAYS rule.  The backwater blues, the fusion-ey stuff, and the ambient thing.  Encryption could be every bit as good as Power Tools, in a completely different, Vernon-esque way.

10/19/13 10:21 PM
soundoff71

This is something one of Shannon's friends, Jeanne Demers, posted on his Facebook page:

This is to honor the passing of an important person in my life. Drummer/Composer/Educator, Ronald Shannon Jackson. I spent a lot of hours sitting in Shannon's studio. Room 702 of The Music Building, NYC. Shannon would speak and I would scribble. I had no idea the depth of what was being shared with me. But I felt its greatness. So I scribbled. Thank you for sharing so much with me, Shannon. I love you.

"My conscious awareness appeared when I was about four.”
“Of what?” I asked.
“Rhythm... And its effect. On me.
In my 30’s I became aware of its effect on other people.
In my mid-thirties the true search began.
I met Ornette Coleman.
I became one of his students
Or initiate
It was like connecting with a ship
that we had been disconnected from.
I was already playing drums.
He told me to play the flute
That way I could write
the rhythm that I was hearing and playing
on paper
thereby capturing
or allowing to be
or work with
that which before
had been a joy
unto me.
So I thank him for it.
I met Cecil Taylor
And learned
the discipline
required
to harness
that which Ornette
showed me
I met Albert Ayler
who showed me how to fu*k the system
and go inside and play.
I worked with Betty Carter
who in a brief moment
taught me how to caress
the beat before
or
the beat above and beat below
the main rhythm.
I learned the blues in Texas
I learned the shuffle in my hometown.
I learned with Charles Mingus
and Stanley Turrentine
I swing with Ray Bryant
I rock with Vernon Reid
Made love with Jeff Lee
Ignite with the Fuze
David, that is.
I’ve traveled the Chitlin Circuit
And walked the path
with Horace.
Danced with Isis
Set at the feet of Osiris.
Called
Called by Miles
Met Louis Armstrong
Ray Charles
Given the key to Osaka.
Buddhist Artist of the Year 1989
Music is my life.
Living is my crime.”
— with Ronald Shannon Jackson.

10/19/13 10:25 PM
soundoff71

This is from Melvin Gibbs:

About a week before I left to go to Europe, I had a dream that my father was going to fall seriously ill while I was on the road. After that dream I had a talk with my sister concerning what to do if that dream came to pass.
As it turns out, that dream concerned my musical father, not my biological one.
Ronald Shannon Jackson has Transitioned.
May he travel in light on his journey to his resting place on the other side.
Men din't say I love you to each other in this culture often, but I'll say it today. Ronald Shannon. Jackson, I love you. RIP

10/19/13 10:32 PM
Ali

Edited: 10/19/13 10:39 PM
Thanks for letting me know, or for letting us know, soundoff71. It's striking what Melvin Gibbs said. And I'm glad to thank you for putting me in touch with him, in that I did tell him when I spoke to him, directly, that I loved him. So grateful I got to do that.

The world is smaller place.

Ronald Shannon Jackson.

R.I.P.
10/19/13 10:35 PM
soundoff71

I'm in tears right now.  I got to know him though Facebook.  We started writing to each other, & then talking on the phone every week.  It's not every day you get to be friends with one of your heros. 

10/19/13 11:03 PM
soundoff71

Shannon's son Talkeye, posted this:

If it is a Truth, it is that we humans make every chemical in our body. If it is true that everybody is as different as a field of flowers, fish in the sea, then is it not reasonable to except that the chemical balance in each is different.
Therefore each body should be treated different.
This is a 5am quote from my Father Ronald Shannon Jackson who is finally resting In Rhythm....
I appreciate all the love he is receiving from the universe....
Photo
10/19/13 11:51 PM
soundoff71

Edited: 10/20/13 12:06 AM

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/19/5260632/legendary-jazz-drummer-ronald.html#my-headlines-default?rh=1

Fort Worth drummer Ronald Shannon Jackson dead at 73

Ronald Shannon Jackson, the legendary jazz drummer and composer from Fort Worth who helped pioneer free jazz and jazz fusion, died Saturday morning of leukemia. He was 73.

In a career that spanned more than four decades, Mr. Jackson appeared on more than 50 albums as a leader, sideman, arranger or producer, and he collaborated with the pioneers of jazz’s avant-garde movement.

Mr. Jackson’s band, the Decoding Society, which he founded in 1979, blended avant-garde jazz, rock and funk, receiving critical acclaim for such songs as Eye on You and When Colors Play.

Fellow musicians and friends said Saturday that Mr. Jackson’s contributions to jazz will not be forgotten.

“It’s seismic,” said Vernon Reid, a former member of the Decoding Society and founder of Living Colour, speaking from a tour stop in Spokane, Wash. “For me, it’s so — it’s the enormity of it, just on an emotional, personal level is so big. … He is my most important mentor.”

Born in 1940 in Fort Worth, Mr. Jackson had musical roots that ran deep. His father ran the city’s only black-owned record store and jukebox business, and his mother played piano and organ at a Methodist church.

Mr. Jackson attended I.M. Terrell High School, where he studied drumming under music teacher G.A. Baxter, who also taught notable jazz artists including Ornette Coleman and King Curtis.

After school, Mr. Jackson began playing professionally in Dallas with members of the Ray Charles Band, then moved to New York City in 1966 to study music at New York University, according to the his website.

“Jackson’s career took off, and he aligned in the late ’60s with several other top musicians, among them McCoy Tyner, Jackie McLean, Joe Henderson, Charles Mingus, Betty Carter and Stanley Turrentine,” JazzTimes.com wrote in his obituary.

Ken Shimamoto, a friend, said Mr. Jackson stood out among the pioneers of free jazz, which sought to alter, extend or break down the conventions of jazz in the 1950s and ’60s.

Mr. Jackson became known as the only musician to have performed with the three prime pioneers of free jazz — Coleman, Albert Ayler and Cecil Taylor.

“He was a very forward-looking and free-thinking musician. He was always questioning things,” said Shimamoto, a local writer and musician. “He had an inquisitive mind and a restless intelligence that manifested itself in everything he did musically.”

Traveling extensively, Mr. Jackson performed at least 40 times in Europe and more than a dozen times in Africa and Asia. He also worked as an educator, giving seminars at Harvard University and other universities nationwide.

In the 1990s, Mr. Jackson returned to his native Fort Worth, and in July 2012, he played at the Kessler Theater in Dallas, his last performance in North Texas.

He is survived by four children.

10/20/13 12:06 AM
soundoff71

Edited: 10/20/13 12:10 AM

Shannon on John Zorn's album, "Spillane", with Albert Collins on vocals and guitar, Robert Quine on guitar, Melvin Gibbs on bass & Big John Patton on organ.

10/20/13 12:07 AM
Ali

Edited: 10/20/13 12:08 AM
There's a short obituary on the JazzTimes webpage, too:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/108150-drummer-composer-ronald-shannon-jackson-dies-at-73

They used this great picture of him:

10/20/13 12:59 AM
soundoff71

"Erri Moments", from "Live at the Greenwich House".

10/20/13 3:28 AM
soundoff71

This is from pianist Onaje Allan Gumbs's Facebook page:

"Dialogue of Angels by Onaje Allan Gumbs composed by Ronald Shannon Jackson as part of a bigger project of re-imagining his music harmonically, rhythmically and emotionally. But it is still his essence. He asked me to do this project recorded in 1985 in NYC. He heard the bulk of the music when I visited him in the hospital recently. i will miss him. Rest In Peace and Power Big Brother."

http://www.reverbnation.com/onajeallangumbs/song/14494519-dialogue-of-angels

10/20/13 10:07 AM
Ali

Edited: 10/20/13 10:15 AM
Little interview clips... this was first posted three years ago. The beginning has some other musicians talking about how authentic, and how ahead of his time he was. Then the interview with Shannon at about a minute in. First talks about how as soon as he got to NY Albert Ayler asked him to play, so he was at the Five Spot right away, first gig. Ayler asked him to "just play what you play for yourself at home". Even he thought it was noisy ("Never hearing that kind of music on records, though we were playing the shit out of the music, I wa playing the shit out of the drums, I was kind of embarrassed about it.... it was just so... so different at that time...":

10/20/13 2:04 PM
soundoff71

Ronald Shannon Jackson At Cuyahoga Community College In 1983 Being Interviewed During The Tri-C Jazz Festival About "Rhythmic Concepts".

10/20/13 2:10 PM
soundoff71

"Tuesday People".

10/20/13 2:17 PM
soundoff71

Encryption live at Moers Festival 2011 - Take 1

10/20/13 2:32 PM
soundoff71

From pianist Onaje Allan Gumbs's Facebook page:

Bloodlife by Onaje Allan Gumbs. Another performance from the solo piano interpretations of the melodies of Ron Shannon Jackson. This interpretation varies greatly from Ron's original vision of this song.Having only his melodies as a guide, I tackled his music as honestly as I could. He gave me his blessing after hearing the project so with that stamp of approval, I'm good.

http://www.reverbnation.com/onajeallangumbs/song/18936987-bloodlife?1336410755

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.