UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Ronald Shannon Jackson

10/20/13 2:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
soundoff71
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From pianist Onaje Allan Gumbs's Facebook page:

Lullaby For Mothers by Onaje Allan Gumbs. This solo piano project from 1985 started when Ronald Shannon Jackson asked me if I would take his melodies and come up with my interpretation of them. Another version of this song was recorded on his concept album called "Pulse" and later re-issued as "Taboo". It then grew into an entire project of interpreting more of his melodies that were originally composed by him on flute. It lay dormant in the home of the Producer David Breskin for over 20 years when I finally decided to purchase the masters. Over the past 3 years, I and engineer James P. Nichols have been re-mastering the material which I discovered contained some original improvisations of my own as well. What started as only 9 songs grew to 14. In his honor and with his blessing, I will be releasing what is possibly my best solo piano work to date. Stay tuned.

http://www.reverbnation.com/onajeallangumbs/song/18936512-lullaby-for-mothers?1336410755

10/21/13 2:26 AM
soundoff71
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Comedy"

10/25/13 12:01 AM
Majic Sam
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello,guys.Very sad news...We lost one of the greats.Ronald was a brave musician.One of the most original drummers/composers around.Wow...
10/25/13 1:09 AM
Ali
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/25/13 7:59 AM
Thanks for stopping in to comment, Majic Sam -- you are one of the few guys who I knew would care and was hoping would see the thread after the announcement that Shannon died....

I was just about to start a new "R.I.P." thread. Still might, here or on the OG. But might not... There are only a few folks anyway to whom the name means anything, I'm afraid.

RSj was a LEGEND to coterie of people. And just an unfamiliar name to the rest.

I knew he went from Ft Worth Texas to NYC to get treatment. And that the move couldn't have been good news. But I knew nothing else until... he's gone. Can't call him on the phone.... can't tell him how sad that it is the world couldn't find a way to pay him enough to rehearse a band... can't do anythimg but be sad for those who knew him, and be sad the rest of us won't get to hear a note of him performng any but the smallest fraction of all the music he's written for the past couple decades....

Undersung genius, composer, drums of THUNDER, a great one, a weather system unto himself..... gone. R.I.P. Ronald Shannon Jackson.
10/25/13 10:56 AM
soundoff71

Edited: 10/25/13 11:26 AM
Sam, I feel very fortunate that I got to know him. Ali turned me on to his music, & everything changed. It quickly went from "wow, this is different & really cool" to "OH MY GOD, THIS GUY'S AS GREAT AS MILES & TRANE! HOW DID I EVER MISS OUT ON HIM?!?" I was particularly shocked when I hear the recent Kessler show, because most musicians his age live off past accomplishments. Here was this vital 70-something writing & performing as well as ever. 

I found Shannon & Facebook & sent him a message. We hit it off & he asked me to help write his Wiki page. He also gave me his phone number. We talked just about every week and got close. Here's his Wiki page, if yo wanna check it out: 

We wanted to have a "Style & Influence" section, but thought a drummer would be the best one to write it. If you're game Sam, I'm sure Shannon's fans, friends, & loved ones would appreciate it.

Ali & I were supposed to help him write his autobiography. He was gonna talk into a Mac program called Dragon, & we would guide him with questions, fill in blanks & edit it. I always told him that if he found a real writer like Greg Tate or Gary Giddins, we'd be more than happy to let them lead the way. You know what he said?  "No one's a real writer till they write something." Unbelievable. 

Either way, it was never about Ali or I being writers.  It was about getting Shannon's name out there.  It's criminal that the was so unappreciated.  All we wanted to do was to help get him more exposure.

I miss Shannon & wish he was still here. I've reached out to lots of Shannon's fans & friends. The loss is so great. Only people that knew him & his music would understand.
10/25/13 11:28 PM
Majic Sam
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soundoff,unbelievable...Thank you for helping him out.It is more confusing than unfortunate that Shannon and his kind are/were not accepted by more people,but that is the way of our distracted and placid musical tastes,as a whole society.Mc D's over the ma and pa diner.

Looking as an outsider at the mass entertainment based medium,I try not to let rejection of "outside/extreme" music become a personal bone of contension.I see what they did to Kenny G....What untapped potential!How they got to him,I will never gue$$$-PEACE and LUV!
10/25/13 11:39 PM
Majic Sam

Speaking of which,one of my favorite Johnny Rotten quotes goes something along the lines of,"Just do what you do and stick with it.If the people like it,GREAT...If nobody likes it,EVEN BETTER!"

Not that I would ever be so crass as to purposely create offensive music.Disturbing?Absolutely.I found RSJ and Last Exit very confrontational when I first heard them in '91,but also very beautiful and honest upon repeated listening.
10/26/13 12:05 AM
Ali
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/26/13 12:09 AM
Right on Mr. Lydon, I say. Thanks for that quote, Majic Sam.

I was talking to my sister about "Dragon", the computer program to turn voice into text, just a week before forum bro Soundoff71 told me Shannon had said he wanted us to write his bio.... so I knew what he was talking about.

Bums me out to be reminded he wanted to use that, and wanted his bio written. We'll lose all those stories. He told me how when he first got to NY, he moved there from CT where he was working for an aerospace company. But his mother bought him a car... and after he moved to NY, Shannon drove John Coltrane everywhere because he was the only that had a car.

He had no money... Coltrane always gave him money as a (too big) "tip" for driving him.

There's one bit of his story I don't think he's told. Next comes the meeting with Albert Ayler, but ... he has that story on youtube.

We just lost a couple of thousand others is my point.... is what kills me...
and missed at least several more recordings.
10/26/13 12:50 AM
Majic Sam

Man,I had no idea you and SO71 were connected with RSJ.I am amazed...

I could just Google for,but for thread's sake,do you know which recs he played on with Horace Silver and Albert Ayler?Thanks!
10/26/13 10:03 AM
Ali

Edited: 10/26/13 3:22 PM
I was less connected.... really talked to him less than Soundoff71, who sought him out on facebook and then got the phone number, then introduced him to me. (He claimed to remember me from purchasing some things from him, and getting a mixed up order, back when Raven Roc came out; I did go to his website to buy it, and ended up having email exchanges with him, eventually, for a little while. But hadn't talked to him until recently, and as a result of this thread, really. I don't even have a facebook page!) I talked to him a total of maybe six times, myself. And I did tell him I loved him the first time we talked!

The Ayler stuff is "Live at Slug's"; there's a bunch more on the Nessa Box Set, "The Holy Ghost" -- IIRC all of that is also at Slug's, just not all on the original realease of "Live at Slug's".

Horace Silver? No idea. (Did you mean Cecil Taylor?? He was with Taylor in the late 70s for: Cecil Taylor Unit, 3 Phasis, and One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye

I always wished Jimmy Lyons played with RSJ later... guy was an amazing improviser, and horn player in general. Another guy in the grand tradition of jazzers who died too young.
10/27/13 12:20 AM
Ali

And.... here again, with the last ever incarnation of the Decoding Society... the credit to "Talkeye Jackson" (Executive Producer, Director, Camera 1) is Shannon's oldest son:

"Adoration of Sound" part 1:

And more importantly, part 2:

10/27/13 12:34 AM
Ali

And from the same sessions, at Shannon's house in Ft. Worth, here's He Walks in the River:

10/27/13 1:53 PM
soundoff71

Edited: 10/27/13 2:03 PM

Here is a  6 hour Shannon tribute from the Sun Radio show, on LoRa 97.5, on LoRa 97.5FM.  Sun Radio is hosted by Charles Blass, one of Shannon's may friends.  Every show starts with a Sun Ra tune.  This one starts with "Fate in a Pleasent Mood" off of the "Comso Sun Connection", a live Sun Ra album.

http://www.lovevolv.org/2013/10/ronald-shannon-jackson-celebration-in.html

The link has a great pic of Shannon with his Shalmei (the weird horn with the numerous bells sticking out):

SunRadio-20131021-RonaldShannonJackson-Memorial-pt1

10/30/13 1:02 AM
soundoff71

This was just uploaded a few days ago.

10/30/13 1:15 PM
Ali

Edited: 10/30/13 1:20 PM
We've seen other clips from that Montreux show.... now we get 28 minutes... amazing. That to me was "the" classic Decoding Society lineup, too, great as others were. That was the one that got the "Harmolodic" sound into something closer to mainstream ears, and aside from RSJ, just a bunch of young and hungry and brilliant musicians. Vernon Reid and Melvin Gibbs did the most commercially.... because they were most ambitious in the rock world maybe, later, but also because they were such explorative and fiery guys already.

Is that the whole set? I bet there's more.... I hope more video is released one way or another.
10/30/13 1:19 PM
soundoff71

Ali - We've seen other clips from that Montreux show.... now we get 28 minutes... amazing. That to me was "the" classic Decoding Society lineup, too, great as others were. That was the one that got the "Harmolodic" sound into something closer to mainstream ears, and aside from RSJ, jist a bunch of young and hungry and brilliant musicians. Vernon Reid and Melvin Gibbs did the most commercially.... because they were most ambitious in the rock world maybe, later, but also because they were such explorative and fiery guys already.

Is that the whole set? I bet there's more.... I hope more video is released one way or another.

I don't think it's the whole set.  "Zane's Fangs" & "Alice in the Congo" are missing, & at the very end before the video fades away you see Vernon switching guitars.  But I haven't heard the 1st tune before (or at least not that version of it).

10/30/13 1:26 PM
Ali

Edited: 10/30/13 2:10 PM
I haven't heard the whole thing.... but I'm glad Montreux didn't keep them to 30mins or something. I hope we get the whole thing on video some day.
10/30/13 1:30 PM
soundoff71

Me too.  That, & the stuff of Euro TV with Jef Lee & Jack DeSalvo.  Or that quartet with Fuze.

10/30/13 2:13 PM
Ali

soundoff71 - 

Me too.  That, & the stuff of Euro TV with Jef Lee & Jack DeSalvo.  Or that quartet with Fuze.

... and the trio with Blood and Tacuma. All those first generation Ornette electric band alums. If there is a filmed set beyond guest spots on tv. That band was also something amazing.
10/30/13 2:37 PM
soundoff71

Ali - 
soundoff71 - 

... and the trio with Blood and Tacuma. All those first generation Ornette electric band alums. If there is a filmed set beyond guest spots on tv. That band was also something amazing.

While we're at it, let's not for forget that Mitch Goldman, Shannon's manager in the 90's, talked about releasing the Jackson/Reid/Gibbs (aka Encryption) performance he set up for BET.  Those three mutherfuckers were like a trio of wizards together.  

There's that, too...

10/30/13 2:57 PM
Ali

Edited: 10/30/13 3:02 PM
What was broadcast on BET was really special... mostly for Vernon Reid, as far as the broadcast was concerned, IMO. But that was a great trio.... I'd rather the Blood/Tacuma/RSJ stuff saw light of day just for historical significance, and it was the beginning of something, had a lot of that new edgy energy.

But yeah, there's a bunch we've seen on Euro TV with different bands. There's got to be a lot of video out there.
10/30/13 4:09 PM
soundoff71

Ali - What was broadcast on BET was really special... mostly for Vernon Reid, as far as the broadcast was concerned, IMO. But that was a great trio.... I'd rather the Blood/Tacuma/RSJ stuff saw light of day just for historical significance, and it was the beginning of something, had a lot of that new edgy energy.

But yeah, there's a bunch we've seen on Euro TV with different bands. There's got to be a lot of video out there.

I'm a greedy bastard.  I want it all.  But I'm fascinated by Encryption, & would love to hear more with him & Fuze.

1/22/14 1:29 AM
soundoff71

Shannon's last show at the Kessler is now available on I-Tunes.  The sound quality is infinitely better than the clips on YouTube:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ronald-shannon-jackson-decoding/id799470856

1/22/14 2:03 AM
Ali

Thanks for the heads up! Any idea if there's to be a CD release?

I'm all over it either way. Both ways.
1/22/14 2:12 AM
soundoff71

No word about a CD release at this point.  So far, just I-Tunes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.