UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> 44 special vs. 45 ACP revolver ?

2/25/12 10:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
antbrew56
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm interested in buying a new revolver but I wanted the input of this forum. I really like the S&W 45 acp revolver by Jerry Mikulek but that thing is hard to find and very expensive. I held a Bulldog 44 special yesterday and I liked the size, fit and the price but it only held 5 rounds that are hard to find. I also don't know anything about the knockdown power or the recoil of the 44 special. What about the accuracy of a 2.5 inch vs. a 4 inch barrell in a revolver. I am really hoping the collective wisdom of this forum can guide my purchase.

Thanks in Advance,
AntBrew
2/28/12 4:09 PM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I own a 625, shot a 44 snubbie years ago, but not together. From what I remember, the 44 has a lot more recoil. I really love shooting my 625. The ammo (44 special) is a LOT more expensive, so you won't shoot it nearly as much.

2" vs 4" accuracy makes more of a difference the farther out you go. If you practice a lot, 50 yard shots with the snubbie are easily doable.

Either round would work for self defense, but you'll be able to put more rounds on target with the 45 faster than the 44 and you'll find a lot more SD rounds for the 45.

Knockdown power is a myth.
3/1/12 10:36 PM
FJJ828
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knockdown power is a myth.

True. Especially comparing it to another large bore HG.Get something you can shoot well and afford enough bullets to get good with.
3/21/12 11:08 AM
Willybone
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you watch Mikulek shoot, you can see the advantage he enjoys with the 45ACP revolver, moonclip reloads.
He's nearly as fast with those as a mag reload.
So, it's a hassle because it involves extra prep, but if you take that step, reloads are faster than speedloaders.
3/23/12 9:23 PM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jerry Miculek shooting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisHfKj2JiI

To be fair though, he's the god of revolver shooting in combat competitions. The 1st two shooting string he did with a 357 magnum.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.