UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> sciatica and jiu-jitsu

2/26/12 12:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was thinking about training with mild sciatica from lower back problems? any advice.
2/26/12 10:48 AM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man all I can say is when I first developed lumbar symptoms I was lifting often and hiking like every weekend. The physical training didnt feel good, but actually lessened my back pain. Now I'm softer than I've ever been and actually hurt worse than ever. I dunno what the best route is,  but what I'm saying is I doubt you'll hurt yourself more - It will probably help building up your core.
2/26/12 4:56 PM
alz

thanks. i think you're right, the softer the worse. i noticed that too.
3/3/12 4:22 PM
Bobby Lupo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my father was able to really improve his sciatica problems with lots of Pilates influenced strengthning of the abs and back and serious stretching.
8/6/12 2:07 PM
yomamafool

yoga, massage, and maybe a chiropractor (look for one that performs active release treatment)
4/1/13 12:15 AM
glassman
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know this is an old post, but here is my experience. Had mild to moderate sciatica for 3 years. Went to physio etc nothing helped. Was resigned to living with it so I just avoided positions/things that would make it flare up. Also started stretching more-nothing crazy just 5 minutes after every workout.

3 months later woke up one morning and realized it had been gone for weeks. Find if I avoid sitting on hard chairs/floor, avoid certain exercises in the gym etc. and remember to stretch it does not come back.
10/9/13 3:32 PM
jrrrrr
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pilates..not kidding. good for overall core.
10/10/13 4:37 PM
yomamafool

power yoga
10/11/13 10:14 AM
khd29

Stretch, esp hamstrings. Pilates, yoga or stretching excercises... I prefer doing planks (side or regular) for the core rather than crunches. Activating the deep abdominal muscle, transversus(?) is what my pt recommended.

Have several herniations on lumbar and had a discectomy on L4-L5 in 2007. Stopped weight lifting and began calesthenics instead.
10/13/13 11:09 PM
KC1981

Message me about sciatica. Battling ut twelve years. Now on both sides. I can probe head u in the right direction for a recovery.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.