UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Lets discuss disc issue's and treatments -

4/12/12 3:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FatFrenchFry
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mentioned sarno's book because you said the MRI showed no physical signs of damage, and it addresses pain that arises from that.
Didn't help me much, but it's cheap and others on here say it's made them pain free Phone Post
4/15/12 6:39 PM
Horus2001
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheAssMurderer -  Ok, so today I went to a surgical group (supposedly one of the best in my state). This just keeps getting more interesting - Now, apparently, none of the discs are causing my problems. He ordered another cervical and lumbar MRI to make sure. WTF? I've seen multiple doctors about my neck and it's all the same - disc bulge. 

I can speak frankly with you guys because there's nothing to gain here except for knowledge - I dunno what in the hell these guys think about me. I've never been one to run to the doctor until back problems -  my quality of life is being greatly reduced. I dunno if they even believe me - I dunno what to think. Obviously MY doctor believes me because it's impossible to fake having back problems. My back does not feel like a normal back - Cervical and Lumbar muscles are guarding all of the time. Whatever the case it's moderate to severe pain. Both of my hands go numb and my left foot goes numb. I dunno how it cannot be the disc - Being treated for pain is the most difficult thing I've ever had to go through. I'm being nickled and dimed to death by medical bills, but if I do not deal with the ASAP, I may as well roll over and die.

I'm just dumbfounded at this entire situation. There must be an underlying cause - Especially with the lumbar problems. I've had it for too long. So, once again, I leave a Dr. visit with more questions than answers. If someone can ever figure out what in the hell is wrong with me, I swear I'm buying them a whore lol. It's unbelieveable that in 2012, it's so hard to diagnose a back problem. I can guaran-fucking-tee you if it were them they'd be finding a cause. This is no way to live...

The cervical issues are the disc - There's no doubt in my mind. I don't care what some fucking film says, it's classic disc bulge - I would bet a paycheck that when they finally figure out what's wrong with my low back, it's going to be some bone disorder or nerve problem. It hurts to bad 24/7 to be anything else. Cheers to good backs guys. <br type="_moz" />

i understand your feeling of frustration. i extruded the l5-s1 disc, it jacked up my s1 nerve to the point i could not walk. i had surgery to get the ruptured disc off of the nerve.

its been almost 6 years, my left calf is visibly smaller than the right due to the lack of nerve stimulation in the muscle. i also have constant lower back pain as well as pain, numbness and tingling in the left leg that has the s1 enervation.

some months is pretty tolerable, some months i don't know what to do, i can't sleep, the leg cramps up and can charlie-horse for up to an hour. i am in tears from the pain from those episodes.

it sucks because the doctors all want to give me tramadol but are not willing to give anything stronger. even the doctors who have access to the surgical records and can see there was damage, they want to punt me to a pain doc.

pain docs all are shot docs. i have had shots in the elbow,i don't mind that but i am willing to have someone stick a needle in my spine (mostly because post-surgery i got a really bad staph infection at the surgery location that fucked me up for 2 weeks).

unless you have chronic pain, you can't understand it. it can be very depressing because there is no solution to resolve the pain, you will spend your entire life in a state of pain. if you look, there are increased rates of suicide with those with chronic pain.

those fuckers who abused the system have made it so damn difficult to get even norco. i always feel that the doctors think i am drug seeking... and i am, i am addicted, but addicted to not being in pain, not the drugs but i like the feeling of not being in constant pain.

i have a tens unit, it helps but i have to wear it constantly to it to be effective and that is not always possible.

i don't really see a positive solution for this type of situation: either you suck it up and accept the pain which is not very reasonable or you accept you need the pain killers to deal with the pain.

i don't know of anyway to banish back pain completely. i take the good days and bad together and accept both.

i truly hope you find a way to life with the pain.
4/17/12 8:56 PM
traneufcisback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone know how to treat spondylolysis, pars fracture 3mm of L5S1? chronic stiff/achy/pain.
4/18/12 7:43 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivated Penn - Well that book is like 10$, so it sounds like a great idea. You have issues with your neck and your lower back. Numbness in both arms and a leg. That's bad times indeed. Especially when you've been messing around with so many drugs and procedures and nothing seems to work.

Are you speaking to experts who have "seen it all"? Might be worth trying to get in touch with a true top tier neurologist, considering you've just about tried everything else.

You say your hands go numb, do you mean hands, or the entire arms? Any pain in the arms? What about the leg, do you have sciatic pain? Radiating to the shin, inner thigh, buttock, perhaps the instep or big toe..?

I have radiating pain that stops in the middle of my shin. I walked to the store today to pick up my prescription and some groceries. Carried two rather light bags home. Sweat was pouring off me by the time I got back, from tensing up so much to try and minimize the pain. I feel almost fine leaving the house, and it just gradually goes to shit.

So that's why I am having surgery.

Your problem seems more complex, because (sorry I might have missed it), your MRI didn't conclusively show the cause of the problem? Plus you have issues at several locations.

I listened to Loveline with dr. Drew for YEARS, and he mentioned quite often that patients with vague back issues with no immediately identifiable cause could be opiate addicts. You've touched on that many times, but... have you used opiates prior to the onset of the pain?

He went on to say, and this is interesting, that with opiates, often times even after the true cause of the pain has gone away, the brain has been rewired by the drugs to cause pain itself, to cause need for more drugs. I'm sure you have reflected on this.

Just seems so odd.. have surgery even been discussed for you?
 To answer a few of your questions, 

1. No, other than a couple of surgeries, I had never touched an opiate in my life. I dealt with low back pain for 4 years until one day, leaned over to pick something up, then wham, crick in my neck. That crick never went away so then I'm stuck with back and neck problems. 

2. No, I havent taken progressive drug doses - I'm taking the same thing now that I started with. I only started taking opiates when sleep issues developed. That makes things 10x worse. I take 10mg Norco 3x daily. When I develope a tolerance, I wean down, they magically work again. Progressive drug use is how people get in to trouble. Most days I feel under medicated, but I do my best to make it through. Believe me I wouldnt be taking any of this shit if I were not hurting. 

3. Pain from my back radiates in to my t-spine and buttocks. Sciatica down my left buttocks and in to my leg. Some weakness occasionally, but not often. 

I touched on the drug use because even you seem suspicious of me. I never used any form of narcotic (other than after hernia and dental surgeries) in my life. Now, the closest way I can feel normal is by taking narcotics - sad to say, eh? I didnt ask for any of this shit, and believe me, my pocket book is hurting from all of these Dr. visits. I'll touch on my visit today later (if I have time tonight - maybe this weekend). 

The good news is this - I have a Dr. who believes me. I saw an orthopedic surgeon today who spent more time with me than all other Dr. visits combined. Had 2 MRI's yesterday and they both came back relatively clean - c6/c7 is looking bad and I have degeneration in my discs (cerv).  The bad news is I'm being sent to a Neurologist which can't be good. It could end up that I actually have MS or something. I'll let you guys know.... 
4/18/12 7:45 PM
TheAssMurderer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Horus2001 - 
TheAssMurderer -  Ok, so today I went to a surgical group (supposedly one of the best in my state). This just keeps getting more interesting - Now, apparently, none of the discs are causing my problems. He ordered another cervical and lumbar MRI to make sure. WTF? I've seen multiple doctors about my neck and it's all the same - disc bulge. 

I can speak frankly with you guys because there's nothing to gain here except for knowledge - I dunno what in the hell these guys think about me. I've never been one to run to the doctor until back problems -  my quality of life is being greatly reduced. I dunno if they even believe me - I dunno what to think. Obviously MY doctor believes me because it's impossible to fake having back problems. My back does not feel like a normal back - Cervical and Lumbar muscles are guarding all of the time. Whatever the case it's moderate to severe pain. Both of my hands go numb and my left foot goes numb. I dunno how it cannot be the disc - Being treated for pain is the most difficult thing I've ever had to go through. I'm being nickled and dimed to death by medical bills, but if I do not deal with the ASAP, I may as well roll over and die.

I'm just dumbfounded at this entire situation. There must be an underlying cause - Especially with the lumbar problems. I've had it for too long. So, once again, I leave a Dr. visit with more questions than answers. If someone can ever figure out what in the hell is wrong with me, I swear I'm buying them a whore lol. It's unbelieveable that in 2012, it's so hard to diagnose a back problem. I can guaran-fucking-tee you if it were them they'd be finding a cause. This is no way to live...

The cervical issues are the disc - There's no doubt in my mind. I don't care what some fucking film says, it's classic disc bulge - I would bet a paycheck that when they finally figure out what's wrong with my low back, it's going to be some bone disorder or nerve problem. It hurts to bad 24/7 to be anything else. Cheers to good backs guys. <br type="_moz" />

i understand your feeling of frustration. i extruded the l5-s1 disc, it jacked up my s1 nerve to the point i could not walk. i had surgery to get the ruptured disc off of the nerve.

its been almost 6 years, my left calf is visibly smaller than the right due to the lack of nerve stimulation in the muscle. i also have constant lower back pain as well as pain, numbness and tingling in the left leg that has the s1 enervation.

some months is pretty tolerable, some months i don't know what to do, i can't sleep, the leg cramps up and can charlie-horse for up to an hour. i am in tears from the pain from those episodes.

it sucks because the doctors all want to give me tramadol but are not willing to give anything stronger. even the doctors who have access to the surgical records and can see there was damage, they want to punt me to a pain doc.

pain docs all are shot docs. i have had shots in the elbow,i don't mind that but i am willing to have someone stick a needle in my spine (mostly because post-surgery i got a really bad staph infection at the surgery location that fucked me up for 2 weeks).

unless you have chronic pain, you can't understand it. it can be very depressing because there is no solution to resolve the pain, you will spend your entire life in a state of pain. if you look, there are increased rates of suicide with those with chronic pain.

those fuckers who abused the system have made it so damn difficult to get even norco. i always feel that the doctors think i am drug seeking... and i am, i am addicted, but addicted to not being in pain, not the drugs but i like the feeling of not being in constant pain.

i have a tens unit, it helps but i have to wear it constantly to it to be effective and that is not always possible.

i don't really see a positive solution for this type of situation: either you suck it up and accept the pain which is not very reasonable or you accept you need the pain killers to deal with the pain.

i don't know of anyway to banish back pain completely. i take the good days and bad together and accept both.

i truly hope you find a way to life with the pain.

I'll touch on this when I have more time. I 100% know where you're coming from. People who have not dealt with CHRONIC pain do not have a clue. I feel for you buddy, best wishes and thanks for the post. 
6/23/12 4:18 PM
FatFrenchFry
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
8/10/12 9:05 PM
FatFrenchFry

Anyone else heard of this? Seems like a BIG breakthrough?

JUPITER, Fla., April 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --BioRestorative Therapies, Inc. ("BRT" or the "Company") (OTCQB: BRTX), a life sciences company focused on cellular therapies for various personal medical applications, announced today it has closed on the previously announced license agreement with Regenerative Sciences, LLC for the licensing of a technique used for the treatment of bulging and herniated discs. This treatment encompasses a novel way of cell culturing and includes a medical device designed for the re-transplantation of an individual's own stem cells into the disc area for repair.

The license agreement provides the Company with three new potential revenue streams: the sale or licensing of the specialized medical device, the laboratory work needed to prepare the cells, and sublicense royalties. The closing of the license agreement also enables the Company to significantly expand upon its intellectual property database. This license will allow BRT to begin furthering the science, preparing it for clinical trials in the U.S., and ultimately developing improved, minimally invasive treatments for individuals with severe pain due to herniated or bulging discs.

Pursuant to the agreement, BRT has obtained an exclusive license to utilize or sublicense a specific method for culturing cells for use in repairing damaged areas. BRT has also obtained an exclusive license to utilize or sub-license a specialized needle that will be used by physicians to deliver the cells to the precise region of the disc that requires repair.

"This technology and procedure addresses an important gap in the treatment of degenerative disc disease, providing an alternative to surgery in many cases. With so many people in the U.S., and throughout the world who suffer from bulging or herniated discs, we hope that BRT will quickly emerge as a market leader in providing a minimally invasive treatment for disc repair," commented Mark Weinreb, Chairman and CEO of BRT. "The procedure represents a potential breakthrough alternative for patients who might require back surgery or even spinal fusions – which can often fail or be unsuccessful. We believe that someday our treatment will become the standard of care for certain disc and spine related diseases."
8/26/12 2:18 PM
TheAssMurderer

^^ First time I've heard of this. Sounds like exciting news!

Been a while since I've been on this thread, but I'm certain I know what's wrong with my lumbar spine now. While I do have a bulge, it's good 'ole fucking arthritis. Surprisingly I had never had an x-ray. I've had several MRI's now, but I dealt with a spine surgeon who suspected it. It's not horrible, but just a little bit can be bad news. The suspect symptoms are from inflammation which mimic disc issues (touch nerves).

There's not much that can be done about it. My old doctor switched jobs in May so it's off to see a new guy in September. I'm crossing my fingers that I'm not blown any shit about meds. I've invested enough in to this that I shouldnt be second guessed (but you never know).

11/1/12 9:38 PM
FatFrenchFry

Up
12/6/12 9:47 PM
ruggerbouy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twisted my lumber approx. 45 degrees on the veritcal axis, imagine two cans sitting on top of each other and now twist the top one 45 degrees lol was not a happy couple hours for me i can tell you the most excruciating pain i have ever felt in my life, my wife actually threw up from how much I screamed because i saw some crazy hippy doctor in the ER who believed in no pain meds unless the patient demanded them and just went ahead and reset my back without consulting me on what she was about to do, needless to say i could move for a day but there were many colourful words thrown at the bitch, I told you that dude so you understand I can relate.

I then went through 11 months of intense physio, doctors, chiropractors massage therapists and lots of drugs. I'm going to both agree and desagree with motivated penn, surgery in my opinion is the ONLY option when your left with NO OTHER options!

now as for physio I personally think their all fucking retarded pardon my language but after 11 months and no relief I told them to get fucked. I also did research and found the primary role of a physio therapist in the general field is to "try" and get the person to a point of living a comfortable life again that doesn't even say 100, 90, or 80 %.

what worked for me is researching myself and breaking my balls by bearing with the pain and doing my own physio regime that just worked for "me". it included LOTS of positive imagery I imagined my body healing itself everytime I moved, swimming this I belive was a key just treading water breast stroke style with my arms doing the work allowed my lower back muscles to warm up properly and relax, which provided insane pain relief in and of itself. I didnt touch weight for about a year and half I went back to basics and did regular calesthetics push-up starting against a wall, pull-ups starting on my back and using a table to pull-up, a suggestion I'll make is check out the work-out guide "convict conditioning" not telling you to buy it, but /i found this invaluable.

I am happy to report that three years later I'm again playing full contact rugby, I deadlifting and squatting like I'm 18 again, and have resently begun seeking a MMA lifestyle, and have taken up wrestling and muay thai and all the hip toss's and twisting kicks dont even cause tightness anymore.

Now just know your not alone dude lots of guys go through back pain and yes it scares the shit out of them because it such a debilating injury that seems silly, stay positive stay the course and no mater which direction you decide to go, you can always come back to the UG for advice and some bro's to vent to I feel your pain man in body and spirit you'll be in my prayers I hate seeing anyone go through anything close to what I had to.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.