UnderGround Forums

Arizona Underground >> Grappling in the East Valley area...

2/27/12 7:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GregoryLapp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/28/12 9:44 AM

Hey AZUG guys/gals: I'm moving to the East Valley area this June and I'm wondering which gym I should join...

I'm basically just looking for a gym with cool, knowledgeable coaches, and I am only interested in no-gi grappling & wrestling classes.

I've narrowed my search down to:
- American Pankration in Mesa
- Power MMA in Gilbert
- FightReady in Scottsdale (formerly Lion's Den??)

I've wrestled my whole life and began grappling in college. I'm looking for a gym with an adequate amount of intermediate/advanced students.

I'll be visiting mid-May for some job interviews and to sign a lease. I'll most likely check out a few schools at that time and hopefully be able to get around to a few gyms to roll a little so I know what I'm working with.

Any help/guidance/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
2/29/12 12:53 PM
spartancs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should definately check out Power.

No one on your short list has a grappling instructor at the level of Andre Maracaba ( check youtube for video of him tapping out JT Torres ) and Power is stacked with former ASU wrestlers.

Good luck
2/29/12 3:11 PM
GregoryLapp

spartancs - You should definately check out Power.

No one on your short list has a grappling instructor at the level of Andre Maracaba ( check youtube for video of him tapping out JT Torres ) and Power is stacked with former ASU wrestlers.

Good luck

Thank you for your valuable insight, spartan. You sparked my interest to look into Power even further. Andre Maracaba is the real deal, for sure!

I also checked out their current schedule which looks great. I can roll every night Mon-Fri; can't beat it.

Actually booked my mid-May flight this morning. Can't wait! Counting down the days...

Thanks again!
3/1/12 1:22 AM
spartancs
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GregoryLapp - 
spartancs - You should definately check out Power.

Good luck

Thank you for your valuable insight, spartan. You sparked my interest to look into Power even further. Andre Maracaba is the real deal, for sure!

I also checked out their current schedule which looks great. I can roll every night Mon-Fri; can't beat it.

Actually booked my mid-May flight this morning. Can't wait! Counting down the days...

Thanks again!

I think you will find a friendly place where you can train at any level you want, from recreational to some of the best wrestlers in the UFC today who roll every day in the gym.

Cheers
3/1/12 12:51 PM
BradGluckman
609 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's too bad you left out the best school by far in the East Valley check out Gustavo Dantas school for one day hell to a drop in on all the schools and I bet you will come out with the same opinion
3/4/12 1:28 AM
spartancs

BradGluckman -  It's too bad you left out the best school by far in the East Valley check out Gustavo Dantas school for one day hell to a drop in on all the schools and I bet you will come out with the same opinion

I thought that Gustavo just did BJJ. You guys doing No Gi & Wrestling now?
3/7/12 2:51 PM
KnuckleBumps
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Southwest MMA...

Santino Defranco
5/6/12 4:57 PM
Dhuber1

Hey Greg. Definitely swing by American Pankration. Jeff Funicello is a world-class Instructor and we have a good group of guys to roll with. We focus heavily on no-gi grappling and Greco-Roman wrestling. Hope to see ya soon.

Dan Huber
1st Instuctor
American Pankration

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.