UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> ko uchi gari to koshi guruma ?

2/28/12 11:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Judo Scott
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm no rocket scientist (and my judo sensei is gone) so please bear with my dumb question.

At any rate I was playing with koshi guruma at bjj tonight. I noticed if I try a ko uchi gari and they step back to avoid it they are in a perfect position to go for the koshi guruma. It seemed to work a few times.

Is this dumb? common? thoughts?

thanks
2/29/12 12:24 AM
nowaydo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think almost any forward throw would work after the Kouchi.
2/29/12 6:56 PM
judoblackbelt
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Usually Kouchi is followed up with ouchi gari especially in BJJ where taking the opponent backwards doesn't open you up to a counter and the opening for ouchi gari is right there. Turning your hips in like Koshi requires can set you up for a counter easily since your back is facing the opponent with this forward throw. NOw if you are attacking kouchi moving sideways or moving the opponetns lead foot forward maybe. But it is not a combination I have seen. I don't see too many koshi garuma's in judo unless maybe a counter throw.
2/29/12 7:04 PM
Judo Scott
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do my kouchi pretty much in a t position with uki with standard grip I don't know if it matters but I'm a lefty. I find a lot of the common combinations don't work for me the way they are taught by right handed people. Phone Post
2/29/12 7:28 PM
nowaydo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Koga's version of Koshi.
3/1/12 6:46 AM
judoblackbelt
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a lefty and I attack a righty with ouchi gari. Then step forward in for saesae/sweep (if I can catch the foot moving backwads) to my collar hand (left) side. For a lefty to do kouchi to a righty I would have do pull the sleeve hand forward to get uki to step forward to do a kouchi gari. I think you are better off with ouchi gari attack for lefty vs righty.
3/1/12 9:04 AM
Judo Scott

3/1/12 12:12 PM
JuDoK@
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uchi mata is good w ko uchi too Phone Post
3/1/12 1:11 PM
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I first learned hane goshi, it was set up by kouchi.

When uke steps back, you are in perfect position to apply the kozushi (pull and twist). The planting foot is "stomping", not just placed or slid, at the apex of the triangle. At practice, sometimes it feels like a hip check hit me.

Sorry, if it sounds confusing. A video may be better.
3/1/12 1:18 PM
khd29
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kouchi to Koshiguruma seems difficult for me. I was never confident with my Koshi to begin with, even durinig uchikomi. Training partners were way taller and I feel like there is too much room to get inside.
3/1/12 2:25 PM
Judo Scott

what really got me thinking about it was watching Ronda head and arm throw everyone. So I started trying it during active ichikomi's and got stuffed then I noticed that what I posted about.
3/4/12 10:58 PM
JoshuaResnick
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any possible combination is plausible... the question is only if you can do it.
3/6/12 8:00 AM
judoblackbelt

Ronda can throw throw equally gi/no gi. My comments are for gi only. In BJJ I have only seen drop seionage work for a throw when you turn your back into your opponent to throw forward. Most other forward throws are risky for BJJ.
3/7/12 12:13 AM
JoshuaResnick
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jbb, that is silly as all get out...

no throw or technique is inherently bad for bjj... or freestyle or greco or folkstyle... the question is only how the person adapts the technique to fit the rules.
3/7/12 8:33 AM
judoblackbelt

In BJJ I think you are better off attacking your opponent moving him backwards(ouchi,osoto,kosoto/sideways (saesae)or under him like yoko tomenage then turning into him to throw him forward.
3/7/12 9:01 AM
27CrazyFeet
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a bad o uchi gari can get you countered just as bad as a bad koshi guruma

actually most people have crappy ouchis and can be countered easily

josh resnick has a great ouchi vid out there somewhere.. especially for lefties
4/26/12 1:59 PM
Outkaster
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the combination personally but you really have to pull that person to you and not reach for their head.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.