UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Have interview for an in-house position tomorrow

2/29/12 1:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fake Pie
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long shot for me for a number of reasons, but I'm going to go after it regardless. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for questions to ask or even answers to the obvious questions they might ask (e.g., why do you want to go in house, etc.).

Thanks.
2/29/12 2:58 PM
salyer36
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck!
2/29/12 3:21 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make sure your shoes match your suit.
2/29/12 4:51 PM
Fake Pie
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL. They will this time.
3/1/12 3:59 AM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why in-house? Tell them it's like semi-retirement in a way
3/1/12 2:40 PM
Fake Pie

So that was weird. Very unlike any firm interview. They spent the whole time spitting hypos at me and asking me for deal anecdotes (e.g., name a deal where you had to advise the client strongly against doing something they really wanted to do but you had to take a stand).
3/9/12 5:19 PM
Cookie Monster
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and... any word?
3/16/12 9:05 AM
Fake Pie

Looks like an offer is coming my way!
3/17/12 5:02 PM
Cookie Monster
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent!

We needs updates, brother. Phone Post
3/18/12 11:48 AM
seg
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not everyone can hack it in private practice
3/22/12 10:18 PM
Fake Pie

Got the written offer yesterday. Talked to them today about comp. Will probably officially accept tomorrow at some point.
3/23/12 2:28 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congratulations
3/24/12 7:54 AM
Cookie Monster

OUTSTANDING!!!

How is the new compensation as compared to the old (current)? Phone Post
4/1/12 7:12 PM
Brabo Fett
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats!
4/1/12 7:18 PM
Xtina

Congrats! Much better than firm life.
4/4/12 10:46 AM
Trust
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any news?

4/5/12 10:43 AM
Fake Pie

Edited: 04/05/12 11:00 AM
I fly out next week to meet folks (no more interviews, just meeting people and seeing the offices) and to look for places to live. Then when I get back (like a week from Monday), I will give my official notice.

It will be interesting to see how the reaction is here since I am going to work for technically a firm client (though I never did work for them in such capacity) vs. when I left my last firm 2 years ago for a different firm. My immediate group (including the partners I do most of my work for) already know, but I am talking about the firm higher up types, though I don't know why they would care.

Xtina, I have no doubt I will like it a lot better, but I have been told by lawyers in the know here and elsewhere that I will likely work more hours there than here. That doesn't bother me though, I don't mind working hard and not worrying about billables and just focusing on doing good work will be interesting.
4/6/12 11:35 AM
Trust
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake Pie - 
It will be interesting to see how the reaction is here since I am going to work for technically a firm client (though I never did work for them in such capacity) vs. when I left my last firm 2 years ago for a different firm. My immediate group (including the partners I do most of my work for) already know, but I am talking about the firm higher up types, though I don't know why they would care.
Congrats!   Most likely your firm will be happy you are leaving - not because they think bad of you but because you are going to a client, and they think that will bias you to sending them (your soon to be ex-employer) more work. 

4/6/12 11:40 AM
Fake Pie

Yeah that's pretty much what I was getting at :) Should be interesting.
4/13/12 1:51 PM
goku

congrats...how comparable is the comp? i went on a few interviews by the pay was so much lower it wasnt worth it...
4/15/12 10:21 AM
Fake Pie

Base is lower for sure. Like almost 25% lower. But with the cash sign on bonus over two years, I will actually make more in the first two years. Then with the stock sign on bonus that vests mostly in years 3 and 4, I will make more in those years as well. The theory is that with year to year stock bonuses (and obviously there are supposed to be base increases as well), I will actually make more or at least close to what I would at my current. Only time will tell long term, but their retention is great so I am not that worried. Plus if my worst case is that I am looking again in year 5, my resume will be so stacked at that point it really is a no brainer for me. It really is a game changer for my career (though obviously that depends on what you were doing before). If you want specifics, PM me.

So I am pretty happy about it. In Seattle now, put in a few applications on houses to rent and will likely be moving out next month. Can't wait to give notice tomorrow :)
4/15/12 10:57 AM
goku

Congrats. I eventually want to move in house. Phone Post
4/15/12 11:13 AM
Fake Pie

It has definitely always been my long term goal.
4/17/12 12:08 PM
Fake Pie

Start date is 5/14. Gave notice yesterday. Feels good man.
5/16/12 5:44 PM
pm1964
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.