UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> ABC asks members to bar Michigan fighters

3/1/12 9:57 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The creation of the Association of Boxing Commissions was mandated by Federal law for the purpose of sharing suspension information among the various State Athletic Commissions that regulate combat sports. Although the law names boxing, the spirit of the law has been applied equally to Mixed Martial Arts.

The State of Michigan has so egregiously failed to adequately regulate amateur Mixed Martial Arts that the ABC has taken the unprecedented step of asking the member commissions to bar ammy Michigan fighters, or those who have recently competed in Michigan.

Here's the full letter that was sent out to ABC members:

On October 6, 2011, I sent the attached letter to Dr. James Webber, Chairman of the Michigan Unarmed Combat Commission. The purpose of the letter was to formally provide notice of the concerns which the ABC had with the non-regulation of events in Michigan. After speaking to Dr. Weber, he seems very concerned about the way both professional and amateur sports are being regulated in Michigan, but he realizes the way the law is written in Michigan, the Commission has no power whatsoever to remedy these blatant and obvious health and safety concerns. The Michigan legislature has a great opportunity to make changes for the betterment of the sport and protect the health, safety and welfare of the contestant and ensure fair and equitable contests for all involved. Sadly, HB4295 in its present from fails to remedy the issues at hand in any fashion.

The ABC has failed, through its many and repeated communication attempts, to get the State of Mchigan to amend its policies and practices. However, the ABC cannot sit idly by while Michigan's actions, or lack thereof, constitute threat to the health and safety of mixed martial arts; and the integrity and fairness of mixed martial arts contests.

Michigan has allowed promoters of events to consistently fail to comply regarding the reporting of results and any suspensions from mixed martial arts contests. In addition, Michigan has a repeated record of allowing mixed martial artists to compete regardless of medical or drug suspensions in place. In conclusion, the ABC sees no other option but to ask its over eighty-seven member commissions to bar any fighter with a Michigan address, a Michigan mixed martial arts identification card, or a recent record showing competition in Michigan. Otherwise, member Commissions may not realize the true record of the competitors, the medical status of the competitors, and the suspension history of the competitors.

3/1/12 10:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Darup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even if the Michigan governing body is incompetent that is no reason to blacklist Michigan fighters.
3/1/12 10:12 AM
Kumite4

Someone get a hold of Severn and tell him to go rip off some heads.
3/1/12 10:24 AM
Khillah
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We NEED ammy regulation in Michigan, so many shady "shows" going on, but blackballing the MI athletes that have already suffer due to the State's stance on various issues makes no sense.  I imagine this is political posturing to get MI athletes to put pressure on the State, but I have personally applied to be a board member for the commision, I don't allow my athletes to compete at fly-by-night promotions, I strugle to get them fights in other states, to no avail. Please do not allow Michigan fighters to be harmed due to these issues. 
3/1/12 10:30 AM
Kirik
1599 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
This is a great opportunity for the Michigan legislature to make a difference in the regulation of amateur MMA. Every MMA fighter, trainer, fan etc in Michigan should contact their local legislator, and tell them you want Amateur MMA to be properly regulated.
Find your State Rep
Find your State Senator

Also, MMA is newsworthy, so it would be great to contact your local media, and voice that the lack of regulation of amateur events is dangerous, and needs to be corrected.
3/1/12 12:24 PM
TheMorg826
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree with the new regulations Phone Post
3/1/12 12:29 PM
RockForLight

The spirit of the law is strong.
3/1/12 12:40 PM
Zilla2000

The purpose of the ban is to protect fighters, promoters, and the state they are competing in properly regulated events. Many of these unregulated events provide little to no medical supervision.

Fight doctors are the ones that issue medical suspensions for KO's, TKO's, broken bones, and possible neurological damage for the safety of the fighter. If no one is assessing these fighters after their fights, they could knowingly or unknowlingly participate in a properly regulated fight the very next day and risk a potentially life threatening injury unbeknownst to the promoter & regulatory body.

This puts the people who are properly regulating events at risk as they could be held liable as the injury would seemingly take place while the fighter is covered under their liability.
3/1/12 12:47 PM
Macedawgg
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This couldn't possibly be the result of something else. . .

And the leverage being utilized is the careers of fighters. . .

If the spirit of the law is applied to MMA as well by the ABC, why don't they start by applying the same protections afforded to boxers. . . by THAT VERY SAME LAW? ? ?
3/1/12 12:56 PM
WikiTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Regulations will not change unless the UFC or some other big money spender is willing to lobby for the change. The only reason why the professional MMA bill was passed was because Ratner and the UFC lobbied in Michigan, using trips to UFC events to show the Congressmen and women the sport. WIthout someone spending money like that, there will not be a bill change in favor of MMA. The only change that will happen sans UFC involvement is if there is a rash of horrific injuries in Michigan ammy events, and in that case, I see the change being a ban on ammy MMA. The ABC is overstepping its authority by targeting fighters instead of the regulators.

Any fighter who is blocked from fighting in another state because of their involvement with Michigan will have a slam dunk lawsuit for violations of interstate commerce, due process, discrimination and property rights in licensure. 

3/1/12 1:02 PM
WikiTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABC is setting itself up for a nice class action. If states abide by the ABC request, every fighter in Michigan may have a claim, and every fighter who was barred from competing because of the ABC will have a claim.
3/1/12 1:05 PM
Haulport

So, once again, a FEDERAL body is infringing on state rights and who suffers? The individual. The ABC has no RIGHT to do such a thing and they are simply going to use pressure on their member groups to try and force the States hand. This is a FUCKING JOKE........
3/1/12 1:08 PM
Haulport

Zilla2000 - The purpose of the ban is to protect fighters, promoters, and the state they are competing in properly regulated events. Many of these unregulated events provide little to no medical supervision.

Fight doctors are the ones that issue medical suspensions for KO's, TKO's, broken bones, and possible neurological damage for the safety of the fighter. If no one is assessing these fighters after their fights, they could knowingly or unknowlingly participate in a properly regulated fight the very next day and risk a potentially life threatening injury unbeknownst to the promoter & regulatory body.

This puts the people who are properly regulating events at risk as they could be held liable as the injury would seemingly take place while the fighter is covered under their liability.
Lol. Keep drinking that Kool-Aid.............

Every major sport in the US does fine without the interference of the Federal and Stae gov'ts except boxing and MMA. BUT it's all about fighter safety and not the exercise of power by unelected bureaucrats.....right? right?

They always hide their real intentions behind such admirable efforts as protecting the fighters....Because a handful of douchebags in government offices give a flying FUCK about anyone..............
3/1/12 2:09 PM
Mighty Quinn
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's about control and money.......
3/1/12 3:22 PM
Haulport

Mighty Quinn - It's about control and money.......
That's all these bureaucrats care about.........
3/1/12 3:31 PM
bruins17
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mighty Quinn - It's about control and money.......
That's what the world revolves around. Phone Post
3/1/12 3:50 PM
armbarring
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the way Indiana and New Jersey have it setup. Shooto style.
3/1/12 4:30 PM
glock4life
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's only hurting the fighters. Ridiculously unfair..
3/1/12 4:50 PM
Kirik
1599 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - 
Zilla2000 - The purpose of the ban is to protect fighters, promoters, and the state they are competing in properly regulated events. Many of these unregulated events provide little to no medical supervision.

Every major sport in the US does fine without the interference of the Federal and Stae gov'ts except boxing and MMA. BUT it's all about fighter safety and not the exercise of power by unelected bureaucrats.....right? right?

They always hide their real intentions behind such admirable efforts as protecting the fighters....Because a handful of douchebags in government offices give a flying FUCK about anyone..............

I know personally and work with on a weekly basis dozens of regulators and your statement is factually incorrect. The vast majority of regulators care enormously about fighters, and are the largely unacknowledged backbone of mixed martial arts.

When regulators took over MMA - saving it - the sport was on its last legs. The idea that it was some massive exercise of power is ill thought through. At the time, no one wanted MMA.

Fight sports need regulation (take PRIDE for example which at the time was the best show on Earth, and was destroyed by links to oganized crime that NEVER would have happened with regulation).
3/1/12 4:52 PM
Kirik

That is the smartest thing I have read here in a while. Who are you?

3/1/12 5:12 PM
Zilla2000

Kirik - 

That is the smartest thing I have read here in a while. Who are you?

Thanks Kirik! I am an ABC certified MMA & Boxing judge, currently working in Oklahoma. I was previously the chief editor of OKFIGHTNEWS.com before they closed their doors.
3/1/12 5:39 PM
Haulport

Kirik - 
Haulport - 

I know personally and work with on a weekly basis dozens of regulators and your statement is factually incorrect. The vast majority of regulators care enormously about fighters, and are the largely unacknowledged backbone of mixed martial arts.

When regulators took over MMA - saving it - the sport was on its last legs. The idea that it was some massive exercise of power is ill thought through. At the time, no one wanted MMA.

Fight sports need regulation (take PRIDE for example which at the time was the best show on Earth, and was destroyed by links to oganized crime that NEVER would have happened with regulation).
Unfortauntely, at this point, I can't even take you seriously anymore. You have contradicted yourself and supported so many bad practices (Like Dana never-ending disrespect of fighters) that you backing up a bunch of gov't bureaucrats who have no business being involved with a sport does little to sway me.

MMA was on it's last legs BECAUSE of an elected official (John McCain).

He created a situation where MMA could ONLY be saved by other politicians and bureacrats.

That is nothing but a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If I set a fire to a house and then save everyone in it am I a hero?
3/1/12 5:41 PM
Haulport

And lol at regulation in Japan saving PRIDE from the Yakuza!

EVERY major business in Japan has ties to the Yakuza. They run the entire country (right into the ground btw). So that is a complete apples to oranges comparison...
3/1/12 6:04 PM
WikiTheWalrus

So the purpose of the ban is to protect Michigan fighters from unregulated fights by preventing them from entering regulated fights in other states? That makes absolutely no sense.

That practice actually forces Michigan fighters to fight in unregulated Michigan fights since the ABC letter expressly states that they want commissions to deny licenses to any fighter with a Michigan address. The only place left for the Michigan fighters is to fight in the same promotions the ABC wants shut down. Seriously, this is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard of for any kind of government regulation.

3/1/12 6:07 PM
Tractor
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks for me. I have 19 pro fights, all down south. I live in Michigan now and just began training again. Sounds like its gonna be hard to get a fight with this new law in order.while I think there should be some regulations should be established, making people like me suffer because of my address is stupid.

* heads to the back of the bus* Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.