UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Kampmann: It's harder to forgive yourself

3/2/12 12:26 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"It took a longer time for me to get over the Shields fight, honestly. It’s harder to forgive yourself than the judges," Kampmann said. "The Diego fight, I think I won that. Everybody who saw it thought I won. I got a lot of support from people after that. But the Shields fight, I was mad at myself."

Mad, Kampmann said, because in his view he "fought a terrible fight," and at the worst possible time. When they met at UFC 121 in October of 2010, Shields was making his UFC debut after a 14-fight winning streak that saw him capture the Strikeforce middleweight title before defecting to the UFC. A victory over him then might have been the biggest of Kampmann’s career, and possibly vaulted him into a title shot against UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre.

Instead, Shields got the nod from two of the three judges that night, and went on the face GSP for the belt the following spring. Kampmann, meanwhile, had plenty of time to beat himself up over what might have been.

"I didn’t fight smart at all," he said. "I was more disappointed with myself than anything, even though you could make an argument for me winning the fight because he was just humping my leg."

read entire article...

3/2/12 12:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ that last part. Kampmann is awesome. Phone Post
3/2/12 1:08 AM
Bipolar
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was close, but I had Kampmann winning that fight. Despite all the hype from Dana, Shields didn't impress at all.
3/2/12 3:08 AM
Poopyface TomatoNose

I had Shields winning 2 of 3 which gives him the win since last time I checked they score fights round by round here in America. Phone Post
3/2/12 5:45 AM
dizzguzztn

Shields is horrible to watch. Takes the piss out of the "Mixed" in MMA. Toss up between him and Mayhem for most awkward/appalling stand-up in the UFC

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.