UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Redman or Bulletman Gear?

3/4/12 3:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
scrnm
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello,

I was wondering if the JKD groups use any of these types of padded attackers in their classes?

If so what are the pros and cons of using it?

I am considering getting a suit, but they are very pricey and I was hoping to hear some feedback before I buy one.

Thanks,
Joe
3/6/12 10:30 AM
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe...why would YOU get one? It's more for people that want to go APEshit on the suit.
3/6/12 11:47 PM
scrnm
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am an instructor at a self defense club. I want to try and give the students the most realistic training they can get, but without getting my head caved in.

It isn't something I would do every week, but at test time, every couple of months, that kind of thing.
3/7/12 10:21 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NOT BULLETMAN!!! Totatally unrealistic.

We used RedMan and FIST for years. You can see it in the clips on this page.

http://www.demibarbito.com/clips.html
3/7/12 10:57 AM
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Redman suit lacks mobility and really is nothing more than a mix of TKD foam gears. When I taught self defense concept I would wear a chest protector, face cage headgear, mouthpiece, MMA striking gloves with heavy padding, a CUP, and shin pads.

Check Craigslist!

I found quality MMA/boxing gloves, chest protector and shin pads. Cup and face cage headgear I purchased off proforce.
3/7/12 5:38 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We actually created "franken suits" outta various gear.

BUT the bulletman stuff was never even considered.

Eventually it was just boxing/MMA gloves and expensive mouth guards (dental molds and all).
3/19/12 12:34 AM
shen
886 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/19/12 1:13 PM

The question is a little "off" if you understand the very specific purpose of Bulletman gear vs. the others.

It's not supposed to be like Tony Blauer High Gear suit.

Bulletman gear is designed for A-symmetrical training where ONE person is fighting --with no gloves on (the student) and the other person (in the suit) is simulating being an attacker. It is "industrial"; meaning you can take a class of 50 people hitting you 100% FULL FORCE in the groin & head (literally hundreds and hundreds of strikes). FIST & Redman will NOT allow you to take that abuse. Not even close.

Bulletman Gear is not gear designed for sparring and should not be used for sparring. For SPARRING it is highly unrealistic, obviously.

But, let me ask you, are Thai Pads "unrealistic"? A Bulletman is essentially a super dynamic talking version of Thai Pads. That's what he is.

The person in the suit should never be a true opponent. That doesn't work well, just like the coach holding your Thai pads shouldn't be sparring with you. Make sense...? It's for a "trainer" and a "trainee" to use, not for two equals to spar in.

But, if it is used how it's intended, it's pretty amazing --especially the newer style gear which is a helmet attached to the shoulder pads. ZERO head impact.
3/21/12 1:16 PM
traneufcisback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^
Also keep in mind insurance for liability for using equipment not desinged for the purpose intended. Simply throwing on some pads might not hold ground in court if someone gets injured. Using a product for its specific purpose will most likely be easier to defend.
A lot of these suits are designed, as Shen stated, for direct attack, not sparring.
3/23/12 7:15 PM
scrnm

That is a good point about the Bulletman. Thanks!

I am looking to mug people with it, not spar them.
4/3/12 11:57 AM
HEMAN

Go to Craigslist. Should sale tons of TKD gear there.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.