UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> New promotion in Belleville, ON; Discipline MMA?

3/5/12 12:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hmeboy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this here yet?

There's a new promotion making it's debut in April, the owner/promoter is Dave Mair. Anybody know anything about him?
3/5/12 12:12 AM
hmeboy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Be sure to read the comments at the bottom, plenty of gladiator and bloodsport references. (Belleville is always a decade behind the rest of the world)

Lets get ready to Rumble

Lets get ready to rumble

MMA coming to Belleville

By Emily Mountney, QMI Agency

Posted 4 days ago

The fastest growing sport in the world is making a stop in the Quinte region.

The popularity of mixed martial arts has grown exponentially over the past few years and now Quinte will benefit from the sport.

Discipline Management announced Wednesday afternoon that they would be bringing an MMA event to Belleville to benefit the Afghanistan Repatriation Memorial Campaign.

This April, a seven-bout card will take place at the Yardmen Arena with some of the funds going to the memorial campaign.

"This sport was legalized here just more than a year ago, and we are excited to showcase these great athletes in front of their family and friends," said Dave Mair, owner of Discipline Management and former Canadian Olympic wrestling coach.

MMA combines techniques of several different fighting techniques including Boxing, Jujitsu, Wrestling, Judo, Karate, Kickboxing, Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Do.

"Discipline is proud to introduce the very best athletes in Ontario who have been matched with world-class athletes from across North America," Mair said.

The main event will feature well-known fighter Rich Clementi.

"Rich is a UFC veteran with more than 60 fights and a US Naval veteran," said Mair.

Mair was unable to say who would be fighting against Clementi, as the details are subject to approval by the Athletic Commission.

Ticket will start at $58.50 per person, with $5 from each ticket going toward the memorial campaign. Organizers are expecting thousands of people to attend.

"Hopefully the funds raised from the event will help us get one step closer to the memorial," said 8 Wing Commander Col. Sean Friday.

Ryan Williams, president of the Bay of Quinte Tourism Council, said the economic spinoff from this event will be a huge benefit to the region.

"We're estimating about one million dollars in economic impact for the area," said Williams. "We are really honoured that this event is happening in the Bay of Quinte area."

Other local establishments such as hotels and restaurants are expected to benefit from the event as organizers expect people to travel to the area to watch the fights.

"It's very rare that a community has so much enthusiasm for an event like this," said Mair.

The event will take place April 27 at the Yardmen Arena in Belleville and tickets are now available at the arena, or online at www.disciplinemma.com and www.bellevillebulls.com.

Preliminary bouts will being at 5:30 p.m. and the main events will start at 8 p.m
3/5/12 6:57 PM
hmeboy

man, this forum seems like a ghost town any more, I thought I would have had more comments/views than this
3/5/12 8:33 PM
Dougie
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hmeboy - man, this forum seems like a ghost town any more,

Back in the day this place used to be like the old west.
3/5/12 9:16 PM
bbomber
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is a huge post about this on topmmanews.com Tonnes of discussion, definitely worth the read.
3/5/12 10:20 PM
hmeboy

Dougie - 
hmeboy - man, this forum seems like a ghost town any more,

Back in the day this place used to be like the old west.

Dougie, it was like the gold rush, now it's a one horse town (tumbleweeds)

bbomber, I had no idea, I'm going to go search it out. I remember the good old days when THIS was the place to go for discussion, news, upcoming event and rumors :-(
3/5/12 11:36 PM
hmeboy

Well...that was quite the clusterfuck! It didn't seem like the comments were posted in any sort of order at all, just at random intervals, so it made absolutely no sense as you couldn't tell who was responding to who or wtf was going on. In the end, I read all 113 posts, to get 3 relevant comments.

The whole reason I'm curious about this, is that I teach at an MMA school in Belleville, we have guys fighting all over ON and Quebec and this is the first either of us coaches have heard of this event. Not that I'm the be-all, end-all of MMA, but I know a few people here and there, as does Jay, and we literally havent heard a single thing about it. Zero advertising, no facebook group or announcement and the homepage has minimal info on it.

so I reached out to my frens on the Canadian Underground!
3/6/12 5:16 PM
hmeboy

13/f/oshawa
3/6/12 5:27 PM
hmeboy

MMA Discipline Coming to Bay of Quinte

"In Addition: MMA Discipline will be filmed for a 26 episode tv program that will be aired in over 250 million homes and 46 countries and hosted by Rachelle Wilde and Dave Mair."

er..what?
3/7/12 12:27 PM
BALEIA
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj86eQphry0&feature=email
3/7/12 12:30 PM
BALEIA
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWw88T5OsY&feature=youtu.be
3/7/12 1:00 PM
hmeboy

3/25/12 3:38 PM
guardbr8kr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave is a very accomplished freestyle wrestler and coach.

Robin Black has some issues with him but won't take it to the mats.
3/25/12 6:10 PM
hmeboy

guardbr8kr - Dave is a very accomplished freestyle wrestler and coach.

After I started this, I read that thread

Anyways, there has been zero updates since I first started this thread, 5 weeks out and no card, no commercials, no advertising, no articles, no updates on the website, nothing.

speaking of the card, there have been fighters named that are committed to other promotions (Bellator) a week before or after. Color me skeptical.
3/26/12 10:50 AM
Robin Black
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They have told politicians in the area that they project this event to have an economic impact of a million dollars on the Quinte region.

When you combine that with the fact that they say they have a reality show in 250 million homes in 46 countries (The Ultimate Fighter is in half that many homes so this is the biggest MMA television program in tv history) you can clearly see that this is one of the hugest MMA organizations in the world.
3/26/12 2:00 PM
Phil999

just curious? If Robin can't beat him on the mat then anything Robin says about him is irrelevant?

3/26/12 4:32 PM
hmeboy

Phil999 - 

just curious? If Robin can't beat him on the mat then anything Robin says about him is irrelevant?

I hope that's how it works now. I would have such an advantage in a debate!
3/27/12 6:36 PM
guardbr8kr

Phil999 - 

Pretty much. Mr. Black has a narcissistic personality disorder much the same as Mark Pavelich. Actually if you look at the stats most people like Robin Black and Pavebitch they are very narcissistic and nearly always in a psychosis state of mind. I often find myself pondering on how these gentlemen, with so much ambition and perseverance, look at themselves in the mirror each morning , knowing they are fake as shit on the inside.

Hope this helps,
Randy
3/28/12 12:30 AM
lachlan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guardbr8kr - 
Phil999 - 

Pretty much. Mr. Black has a narcissistic personality disorder much the same as Mark Pavelich. Actually if you look at the stats most people like Robin Black and Pavebitch they are very narcissistic and nearly always in a psychosis state of mind. I often find myself pondering on how these gentlemen, with so much ambition and perseverance, look at themselves in the mirror each morning , knowing they are fake as shit on the inside.

Hope this helps,
Randy

"in a psychosis state of mind"
If you are going to be tossing around psychological terms in the future it would is better if you space the words farther apart. Doing this would help hide that you don't actually know what the terms mean and if you got caught you could always fake tourette's.
3/28/12 11:25 AM
Dougie
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lachlan has DSM4ed the correct.
3/28/12 11:27 AM
moemar
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robin Black is a sonofa bitch. Big Rig Phone Post
3/28/12 3:31 PM
Phil999

guardbr8kr - 
Phil999 - 

Hope this helps,
Randy

Clearly your not biased.

If I recall, basically Robin spoke up saying he didn't agree with some of Dave's business practices.

So then you think that Robin should take it up with Dave on the mat. (Isn't Robin allowed to have someone champion for him? I'm not sure of the rules from previous centuries).

I hadn't heard that Robin was diagnosed with a narcissistic personality disorder by a Psychiatrist.

3/30/12 6:29 PM
Hardstaff

Whats the word, is this event happening?
3/30/12 10:14 PM
Robin Black
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No line up posted anywhere yet. Word I'm hearing is Clementi is out tho (just hearing that last 2 days).

I hear Eric Attard vs Ainsley Robinson may be confirmed. Which is a cool fight. Couple other ones being talked about. Both Powells are on it.

To be honest, and to be fair (I've had documented issues with the promoter but I swear I'm trying to look at this impartially), there are a ton of insane challenges in front of anyone doing a show in April.

For one, there is a very legitimate shortage of fighters. Like, actual fighters fit to fight, ready to fight, with their meds in place. There's not enough supply for the demand.

And, because there was just a Score show and there's 2 Bellator shows coming up and another Score show around the corner, bigger opportunity fights are available for the fighters that are out there.
And there's even lots of excellent non-televised opportunities out there in the 8 week period around this show as well. Wreck and Freedom Fight the week before, Instinct 2 weeks before, UGC, Halifax, Moncton and, with the fighter shortage, there's opportunities for these fighters in Edmonton and the states too.

Honestly, its almost impossible for matchmakers with 6 or 8 years of MMA matchmaking experience to pull these cards together in this environment. These promoters only started in this in the last year and have only successfully matched 14 MMA fights ever in the 3 shows they've attempted.

And they have been involved in 2 one-and-dones and a never-happened. And rustled a few feathers along the way.

So even if these guys had a decade of real MMA matchmaking experience and all the reputation and contacts and banked credibility that comes with that, they would have an almost impossible time matching this in 4 weeks in the challenging environment out there in the industry right now.
No disrespect intended, but they don't have any of that. They may have drive and they may have good intentions, but they don't have the experience and contacts and history and credibility and favors owed and reputation required to make this happen. If it does happen, there just isn't much left out there in terms of viable fighters that would make a quality card.

I'm looking at this as fairly as possible, and I'm honestly trying to say don't come down too hard on these guys if this doesn't happen or if it does happen to any low level of quality. Its rough out there. There just isn't the fighters, and there's a crazy glut of shows being put on by promoters with quality reputable shows with a proven history who are scooping up all of the available fighters.

Now, I just read that back before posting it and, although I might come off as a bit of a know-it-all, I'm pretty confident that its not rude or out-of-line. Its just the obsessive Ontario mma business analysis of a guy who spends all of his time and energy on this kinda stuff. For whatever that's worth.

Randy the wrestler may not like it but, hey, he's got a phd in psychology so he's probably living pretty good regardless.
3/30/12 10:27 PM
Robin Black

And if there's something here I've written that is fundamentally wrong or I'm ill-informed about it I am totally hoping to get educated about it. Trying to keep learning the big picture of the Ontario MMA business, and trying to be able to quantifiably analyze this business, is still a work-in-progress.

But maybe we should give these guys a break and recognize the challenges they face. Its a crazy tough environment to try to run a show in right now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.