UnderGround Forums

Canada UnderGround >> New promotion in Belleville, ON; Discipline MMA?

3/31/12 7:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Robin Black
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A friend corrected me on some facts-

A really good guy and hard worker named Jim Gentle is also involved in trying to pull this show together.

Jim is legit, comes from the boxing business before, and has a sterling reputation in the boxing world.

He's been involved in MMA this year as well, and was involved in 2 shows outside of the other principals.

That oversight skewed the numbers I gave.

In fact, as a combined group, they have successfully matched 22 MMA fights in the 5 shows they have been involved in.

The 5 shows they attempted were actually 3 one-and-dones and 2 never-happeneds, not the numbers I gave in my original post.

Correction.
3/31/12 8:18 AM
MMA_Live_In_Gym
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

brutal...why bother dealing with these guys?
3/31/12 12:30 PM
xIanx
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

apparently they have sold close to 1500 tickets already. Lofty, I am in Belleville quite frequently and will be doing placement there for 10 weeks starting at the end of April... no one I know in Belleville (who are not in the MMA community) has heard of it, I wonder who is scooping up all those tickets?

My brother lives 5 min walk from the arena and hasn't seen one poster or anything. They do have an ad on a local radio show though.
3/31/12 12:37 PM
Robin Black
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ian if they have sold close to 1500 tickets a month out from the show, then this is the most successful advance ticket sales in Ontario MMA history at the 1 month out mark by far (yes I checked my records) including Bellator (but excluding, of course, the UFC).

Since they have no fights announced it is not because of the card, so one could infer that Belleville just loves fighting and is the new mecca of MMA.

Where did you get that figure?
3/31/12 12:50 PM
xIanx

My man, someone fighting on the card told me that number. I'll drop you a txt!
3/31/12 12:57 PM
Robin Black

So that's the number someone fighting on the card was told by someone involved I guess?

1502 including you and Lofty then.
3/31/12 1:24 PM
Dougie
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have tickets on sale for the fight promotion I am putting on if anyone is looking to advance buy...
3/31/12 1:30 PM
Robin Black

Who's on your card Dougie?
3/31/12 1:35 PM
Dougie
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Canario, for starters...
3/31/12 10:46 PM
hmeboy
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

xIanx  - apparently they have sold close to 1500 tickets already. Lofty, I am in Belleville quite frequently and will be doing placement there for 10 weeks starting at the end of April... no one I know in Belleville (who are not in the MMA community) has heard of it, I wonder who is scooping up all those tickets?

My brother lives 5 min walk from the arena and hasn't seen one poster or anything. They do have an ad on a local radio show though.

I have no idea who is buying them. I have a student who bought tickets yesterday and he got them in the second row, so you might wanna call shenanigans on 1500 tickets

I think Robin, you're spot on about the difficulties that a promoter will face in putting together a card this close to the fight.

on that note, we were actually contacted by the matchmaker earlier this week and we tried to work to get some matches with a couple of our guys. Unfortunately, we couldn't find agreeable matches, but we're still going to work with the guys as best we can to promote local MMA.
4/1/12 1:46 AM
MMA_Live_In_Gym

***I have a student who bought tickets yesterday***

...hope he gets his money back when this thing fails to happen
4/1/12 3:41 PM
hmeboy
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA_Live_In_Gym - ***I have a student who bought tickets yesterday***

...hope he gets his money back when this thing fails to happen

Well hopefully it will go through, because there have been 2 fights announced that I really want to see;

Joel Powell vs Fabio Moraes
Misha Cirkunov vs Caleb Grummett
4/1/12 5:07 PM
featherstone
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So they've allegedly sold 1,500 tix already, just announced the only two bouts on the card and are four weeks out? Get your brooms ready, I smell shenanigans.
4/2/12 9:57 AM
Robin Black

When thinking logically, claiming any ticket sales at all would suggest that, since there were no fights booked whatsoever until yesterday, the tickets were sold just because "MMA is coming to town".

In the last year, advance ticket sales in Windsor, Kingston, Oshawa, Brampton, Hamilton and Mississauga would suggest that, in fact "MMA is coming to town" sells zero tickets in small markets. So far, "MMA" the sport (without intriguing match ups, recognizable names and/or home town heroes) has proven to sell no tickets on its own.

Is it different in Belleville?

Is there anything different at play here that could result in some ticket sales when "MMA is in town" has traditionally resulted in no sales?

Maybe their use of the charity?

I like the Misha fight. Good to see him back in there quick, good match up.
4/2/12 10:32 AM
MMA_Live_In_Gym

translation of above post...

no way this thing happens ahahahahaa
4/2/12 4:49 PM
hmeboy

Robin Black - When thinking logically, claiming any ticket sales at all would suggest that, since there were no fights booked whatsoever until yesterday, the tickets were sold just because "MMA is coming to town".

In the last year, advance ticket sales in Windsor, Kingston, Oshawa, Brampton, Hamilton and Mississauga would suggest that, in fact "MMA is coming to town" sells zero tickets in small markets. So far, "MMA" the sport (without intriguing match ups, recognizable names and/or home town heroes) has proven to sell no tickets on its own.

Is it different in Belleville?

Is there anything different at play here that could result in some ticket sales when "MMA is in town" has traditionally resulted in no sales?

Maybe their use of the charity?

I like the Misha fight. Good to see him back in there quick, good match up.

It could be the use of charity, but more important, the tie to the military because of the base in trenton.

There was a professional boxing card here in belleville a couple of years ago, and they had 2000 in attendance, so it's not an impossible amount to claim 1500 tickets sold, I suppose. The difference is that Harrison McBain was the main event, and he's from belleville. Also, Belleville has always historically been boxing friendly, 50,000 people here and 3 boxing clubs in town.

I don't know, but I guess we'll find out soon enough?
4/2/12 9:03 PM
Dougie

Edited: 04/02/12 9:03 PM
You know, one time I managed to get Terry T from KOTC to talk about KOTC in the early days. They used to get the fighters to sell most of their tickets. That way the fighters got paid by the more tickets they sold. Gyms would take to the streets looking to sell the tix for their fighters.

You have to wonder if trying to just put together a card is enough anymore in this current market.
4/3/12 9:11 AM
MMA_Live_In_Gym

obviously, it's not enough...i'd stay away cuz you're probably not going to get your $60 back when it doesn't happen.

086.sh15.dl
4/3/12 12:25 PM
hmeboy

From their facebook page (oh, btw, I found out they have a facebook page)

Full Main Card for Discipline MMA......

Joel Powell vs Fabio Moraes
Misha Cirkunov vs Caleb Grummet
Ainsley Robinson vs Eric Attard
Anna Barone vs Ashley Sanchez
Daniel Ireland vs Tim Chessel ( Belleville vs North Bay )

In addition to the Main Card will be a 5-6 fight Undercard to be announced at the end of this week. Happy to rekindle that old school Rivalry that is Belleville and North Bay.

Officail Release for the full card today for Media.
4/3/12 1:11 PM
Dougie

...they still don't have Canario on their card...
4/3/12 1:26 PM
Robin Black

Honestly just glad to see it.

Anything north of the show getting canceled is better news for the sport and fighters.
4/6/12 8:46 AM
guardbr8kr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

looks like the card is still a go. They're playing radio ads on Rock 107 more often now.Imma wait and see what happens before I purchase our tickets. Hopefully I'll see you there hmeboy.
4/6/12 4:05 PM
hmeboy

guardbr8kr - looks like the card is still a go. They're playing radio ads on Rock 107 more often now.Imma wait and see what happens before I purchase our tickets. Hopefully I'll see you there hmeboy.

if its a go, i'll be there. i have a guy on the card
4/11/12 5:17 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10 BOUTS SET FOR DISCIPLINE MMA 1 APR. 27 IN BELLEVILLE, ON

Portion of Proceeds to Benefit Memorial in Tribute of Fallen Canadian Soldiers

Stoney Creek, ON (April 11, 2012) – With just over two weeks to go until its inaugural event thunders into Belleville to entertain fight fans at the Yardmen Arena in support of the Highway of Heroes Memorial Fund, Discipline Mixed Martial Arts (DMMA) today announced the packed card for its Friday, April 27 show.

The main card will feature several names familiar to Ontario MMA fans, including Joel Powell and Misha Cirkunov, whose fights will close out the monumental show.

Powell, a heavy-handed Hamilton native who competed at the 2001 world wrestling championships, will headline the event opposite BJJ ace and Team Nogueira product, Fabio Moraes – a Brazil native who will make his North American debut on the card. The fight could easily end early for either man or make for a back-and-forth battle of attrition. Either way, the winner will be the fans in attendance who will get to see these two rising talents before they make it to a bigger stage.

The co-main event will see Toronto-based grappling phenom Cirkunov match mettle with Caleb Grummet – a reputable wrestler with professional boxing experience. Both combatants fight to finish, but can go the distance if necessary.

Rounding out the main card will be up-and-coming star and former Olympian Ainsley Robinson versus durable Eric Attard, Daniel Ireland versus Tim Chessell in a classic Belleville versus North Bay grudge match, a Canada versus USA pairing between Sudbury native Anna Barone and American Ashley Sanchez, and a barnburner in the making between fellow Ontario sluggers Denis Puric and Daryle Pinter.

4/11/12 5:17 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Five dollars from the proceeds from each ticket sold will go to The Repatriation Memorial Highway of Heroes Fund.

Tickets for this historic first event in Southeastern Ontario are on sale now and can be purchased at https://tickets.bellevillebulls.com.

For sponsorship enquiries or to purchase a VIP table for the event, please call Talbot Tesluk at 905-979-5029 / 1-855-945-2345

To Donate to The Repatriation Memorial Highway of Heroes Fund, please visit www.afghanistanmemorial.ca

DMMA 1

Friday April 27, 2012

Yardmen Arena

Belleville, ON

Under card bouts begin at 5:30.

MAIN CARD 

Joel Powell vs. Fabio Moraes (170)

Misha Cirkunov vs. Caleb Grummet (205)

Ainsley Robinson vs. Eric Attard (155)

Anna Barone vs. Ashley Sanchez (145)

Daniel Ireland vs. Tim Chessell (145)

Denis Puric vs. Daryle Pinter (135)

UNDER CARD 

Alan Wilson vs. Derek Macdonald (155)

Jarrod Robb vs. Matt Socolatiuk (185)

Oliver Vadnais vs. Ronnie Phillips (155)

Scott Macovi vs. Ryan Seals (125)

PENDING

Jeff Sharkey vs. TBA

Mike Karkula vs. TBA

*ALL FIGHTS ARE CONDITIONAL, PENDING OAC APPROVAL

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.