UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> "Marjoe" - documentary about a fake evangelist

3/5/12 1:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheHawker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Marjoe is a 1972 American documentary film produced and directed by Howard Smith and Sarah Kernochan about the life of evangelist Marjoe Gortner.

"Marjoe was a precocious child preacher with extraordinary talents, who was immensely popular in the American South. His parents earned large sums of money off him up until the point he outgrew his novelty. Marjoe rejoined the ministry as a young adult solely as a means of earning a living, and not as a believer; he spent the next several years using his fame and status as an evangelist to defraud a small fortune out of individuals both through tent revivals and televangelism."

Eventually, Gortner suffered a crisis of conscience and decided to renounce his ways, offering the documentary film crew unrestricted access to him during his final revival tour, repeatedly admitting on camera that he was a con-artist and revealing the tactics used by himself and other evangelists to swindle money from people.

http://documentarystorm.com/marjoe/
3/5/12 1:37 AM
TheHawker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/05/12 1:38 AM
I grew up around the southern pentecostal culture, and this documentary captured it all perfectly. You have to wonder how many other "Marjoe's" are out there.
3/5/12 8:41 AM
JudOWNED
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought this was a joke, because there is a horror movie called The Last Exorcism that has an identical plot.
3/7/12 9:31 AM
samcarr6
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty sure that all evangelists are fake Phone Post
3/14/12 3:38 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

samcarr6 -  I'm pretty sure that all evangelists are fake Phone Post

evangelists, or televangelists? please specify, lol. i assure you, not all evangelists, (or tele for that matter) are fake. preachers are put on this pedestal that they are somehow expected to be immune to sin or temptation. they are human like us all, and just because they get caught doing something wrong, doesnt mean they were that way from the beginning. we all fall
3/14/12 3:39 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheHawker - I grew up around the southern pentecostal culture, and this documentary captured it all perfectly. You have to wonder how many other "Marjoe's" are out there.

is it your opinion that all penecostals are this way, or was it just something that reminded you of it? not sure where you are coming from
3/14/12 9:09 AM
TheHawker

Did you watch the documentary? The pentecostal culture has changed very little if any since then. The people were sincere, but all too easily fooled by the con evangelist's showmanship.

They were undiscerning and singularly obsessed with "the move of the spirit", such that they were easy prey for someone like Marjoe. All he had to do was jump around, scream a bunch of scriptural -sounding platitudes, babble gibberish (which the congregants assumed was 'speaking in tongues') and they were putty in his hands, showering him with offerings. There is no telling how many Marjoe's are (and were) out there doing the same thing on the revival circuit.

When you have a theology that is based on emotional experiences and perceived outward manifestations of the Holy Spirit's presence, then this is the end result. There is no depth there. It just becomes a carnival routine, and anyone who know the tricks of the trade can take advantage of the good-hearted believers.

Watch the video and you'll see where I'm coming from.
3/14/12 10:23 AM
DyingBreed

Thanks harker Phone Post
3/17/12 2:14 AM
Ridgeback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just watched it.  

In one sense I think that people were "sincere" that fell for hucksters like him, but in other ways they were willing participants in what amounts to a uniquely American form of pietism.  
3/18/12 10:45 PM
DyingBreed

Sad that this stuff happens. Watched most of it, hope I get a chance to finish it Phone Post
7/29/12 11:10 PM
DyingBreed

Subbed again Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.