UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> Crooked Baton?

3/5/12 10:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FJJ828
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.sidewinderbaton.com/

Anyone seen or worked with this device? Designed like Shepard's Crook and used excusively to facilitate armlocks. Interesting applications.
3/6/12 1:01 AM
BshMstr
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

huh....i watched the video, and it seems interesting, but i can't imagine carrying it. unfortuantely, it's weirdly shaped, and i think carrying it would suck (in fact, i could see it getting hung up on my seat belt when getting out of the squad car). i don't have a lot of experience with a PR-24 (i've always used the ASP), but i don't see this being much better at locks, but being way less useful in striking.

one thing i saw in those videos is the guy using it for takedowns or armlocks that are just as easy to do hands-on, IMO.... i generally believe that training should precede more stuff, though.

maybe good for specific jail/bouncer type scenarios, though....

what do you think about it?
3/6/12 11:28 PM
FJJ828
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting device for a specific purpose... the armlock, with secondary use as an ankle hook to apply direct pressure on the achilles tendon and the shin. What I thought was strange is that it is totally not designed for impact use other than for a short jab. It's "loaded" weight gives it enough kinetic energy to be quite a bit more significant than the straight or side andle batons.

I went through an end user course given by the inventor. He came across as a complete flake so I would have a hard time getting past his personality to really embrace his product.
3/8/12 10:17 PM
effinggoof
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Based on that video, it looks like the kind of weird bullshit that happens when someone invents a proprietary weapon and martial art to go with it.

It's bulky, impractical and would be a nightmare to carry around, and it apparently works on pressure points, which are notoriously unreliable.

3/13/12 3:09 PM
KidJustice
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too bulky!!!

Interesting application, but I have a hard enough time getting my guys to at least carry collapsible batons. This thing would always be getting left behind.

Might be better in a correctional setting.
5/12/12 4:37 AM
Shire
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too damn iffy. Besides, you can do most applications with a straight baton if trained properly. Like previous posts, it will mosty likely be in the car when needed, and the cop trying to use it will not have enough skill or practice time, and then get sued for using it causing pain and damage.
10/3/12 11:01 PM
Shire
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have an idea...how can we get together for a conference?
10/4/12 9:30 AM
KidJustice
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shire - I have an idea...how can we get together for a conference?

I tried to get to the ILEETA conference this year, but work got in the way. I would love to have a training conference where we all get together and talk concepts.

10/4/12 7:54 PM
Shire

I just retired from my PD, now chief at another...so I can get away if we figure out how to meet, and where. What if we set up a date and place, and a few of us could meet?
10/4/12 9:14 PM
KidJustice

Shire - I just retired from my PD, now chief at another...so I can get away if we figure out how to meet, and where. What if we set up a date and place, and a few of us could meet?

That would be cool!

10/17/12 12:11 AM
LeftBench
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be in for that if I was available.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.