UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Bros, lets list healthy, cheap foods.

3/9/12 12:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ham and Egger
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Shit dont forget the water for that stew recipe I posted.

Heres another.

1 Bell pepper .60$
1 Onion .50$
1 Bag of lentils .70$
1 LB of ground beef 6$

Brown the meat and season it with salt and pepper. Throw in the veg till soft. Throw in the lentils and fill the big pot with water. Hand full of chili powder, half a handful of cumin. Salt pepper, onion and garlic powder. Cayenne or maybe even a .50$ can of chipotles in adobo.

Simmer for an hour.

This makes a huge pot of lentil chili. You could use any ground meat and if you really need to stretch it serve it over brown rice, white rice, quinoa whatever.
3/9/12 12:26 AM
Ham and Egger
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ and that chili takes a big can of tomatoes as well .70$

I always forget something...
3/9/12 12:52 AM
Deryck Ripley
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd Phone Post
3/9/12 8:25 AM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're not terrified of fat, chicken thighs are much cheaper than breast meat.

Frozen veggies, bulk brown rice, bulk oatmeal, bulk quinoa, etc...
3/12/12 12:55 AM
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
3/12/12 11:36 AM
yakumomutsu
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chicken Breast

Bananas

Tuna

Apples

Eggs

Green Beans

Corn

And I pretty much everything in bulk, including the above, from Sam's or Costco.

Where are u guys getting bell peppers that cheap?!?! Damn! It's $5.99 a pound around here, and 1 pepper is usually around a of 3/4 pound Phone Post
3/12/12 11:37 AM
yakumomutsu
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also like someone else mentioned u can make your own "trail mix". I just buy cashews and raisin in bulk and mix it. Quick, easy, yummy(lol) snack Phone Post
3/12/12 4:12 PM
MarsMan
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
3/14/12 11:07 PM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's trail mix, if i might ask? It sounds like some sort of camping food, but i was wondering if it is anything specific.
3/15/12 12:26 AM
Ham and Egger

HULC - What's trail mix, if i might ask? It sounds like some sort of camping food, but i was wondering if it is anything specific.

Ya its a calorie dense mixture of dried fruit and nuts. Some people put candy and shit in it.

Best way to go is go to the bulk isle in any decent grocery store. Buy bags of various nuts, dried fruit, banana chips, dark chocolate pieces ect. and mix it up yourself.

The premade stuff has all kinds of bullshit in it.
3/15/12 4:12 PM
CWolvie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's another guys, for recipes. I love middle eastern cuisine, especially shawarma. So what i did was i have a giant container of shawarma spice..

Ingredients:

1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

So, what i will do is i like to take a crockpot, add like 4-5 chicken breasts, thigh meat, etc and fill it up with water just below the line. I add about an onion, garlic, whole cloves directly in. Then, put it in for 3 hours.

After, i take it out and when i want to eat it...i take a piece of the pulled chicken, throw that dry rub on it and throw it in my toaster oven.

I usually have hummus, brown or wild rice, steamed broccoli, cucumbers and carrots. And i always have a salad with every meal.

Boom.
3/18/12 1:45 AM
ButterBobby
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
3/18/12 1:46 AM
ButterBobby
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guess that doesn't work, my bad. Bill Starr was a strong ass motherfucker. http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/articles/6406-Big-On-A-Budget.pdf Phone Post
3/18/12 3:55 PM
FatFrenchFry
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SUB
3/19/12 3:10 PM
AlphaSlap
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have an oriental grocery store, they sell frozen Mackeral and Saury for cheap.

Nothing beats red beans and rice. Contains every essential amino acid except Lysine.
3/19/12 6:01 PM
U4EA
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sardines.

Sunflower seeds are pretty fucking cheap.

Coconuts - 60p here in the UK, and they have a fuckload of healthy fats, good calories and electrolytes.
3/20/12 8:36 PM
shadallion
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The flash-frozen albacore from Trader Joe's is about $5-$7, and it's two nice sized fillets.

One is enough for dinner. Thaw it out, sear it quickly on all sides, then season it however you want: AWESOME!
3/21/12 11:40 AM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ham and Egger - 
HULC - What's trail mix, if i might ask? It sounds like some sort of camping food, but i was wondering if it is anything specific.

Ya its a calorie dense mixture of dried fruit and nuts. Some people put candy and shit in it.

Best way to go is go to the bulk isle in any decent grocery store. Buy bags of various nuts, dried fruit, banana chips, dark chocolate pieces ect. and mix it up yourself.

The premade stuff has all kinds of bullshit in it.

Cheers.
3/21/12 1:16 PM
Badmonkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you show up to a farmers market right at the end of the day while they're closing down they will wheel and deal... they dont want to take any of that stuff home with them.

Just picked up what seems like a 15lb bag of potatoes, radishes, onions, and squash for $1.. 10 lbs of oranges for $2 ... and that's in San Frnacisco!
3/28/12 2:59 AM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
4/1/12 12:51 PM
Cheggers
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't eat battery farmed chicken anymore. These days I buy whole organic chickens, roast them with thyme, lemon and onions. The meat will do me for 2-3 days; I boil the carcass for a while to make a nice tasty stock for a tasty casserole later in the week... Pack the casserole with kale spinach and carrots tomatoes lentils and scotch bonnet chillis, and whatever decent meat I find reduced at the end of the day. Grow my own herbs so have loads of thyme, lemongrass and basil. Loads of rocket, grows faster than I can eat it. Phone Post
4/1/12 2:21 PM
HULC

I tried growing some tomatoes and other plants at my old house, but just ended up with a bunch of weed-looking plants with no fruits.
4/2/12 4:43 PM
Sober
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
4/4/12 6:22 AM
DMC
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HULC - I tried growing some tomatoes and other plants at my old house, but just ended up with a bunch of weed-looking plants with no fruits.

lol
4/10/12 3:57 AM
Sigitywop bears
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4later Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.