UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> old CACC bouts that were real?

3/6/12 9:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jw234
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/12 10:17 AM

Is there any footage on the Net of old Catch Wrestling matches that were real contests with full competitive resistance? I love Billy Robinson and Karl Gotch and even the new CACC guys, but I can't find any actual footage of old, real bouts.
3/19/12 10:11 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im reading Lou Thesz's book Hooker right now.  He has a really cool chapter on the history of catch or hook wrestling and professional wrestling.  He says all the matches by the 1900's were works with the exception of the carnival matches.  In those matches the carnival wrestler would take on all comers from the towns they visited.  If the local turned out to be pretty tough thats when the carnival wrestler would "hook" the local.  Basically use a submission hold to injure the guy enough so he could pin him. 

He did say in the early days that all the professional wrestlers were actually really good grapplers and when they trained they really wrestled but it was all for show once it went in front of the crowds.  Sometimes the wrestlers would have a real match before the fake one to decide the winner. 

Probably not much footage out there of the practices. 
3/19/12 10:17 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not what you were looking for but interesting.  1937 ncaa tournament
3/19/12 10:21 PM
ChipW

earliest pro match out there. probably a work though.
3/23/12 10:17 AM
jw234
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/12 10:18 AM
This is perfect! Thanks! And even if this match is a work, the competitive movements are legit in the way I was hoping. It's not as if they are choreographing (which was all I could find previously).
4/15/12 5:48 PM
Victor Parlati
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What Thesz also said in his book is that sporadically throughout his ENTIRE career guys would try to shoot on him - while in the ring - and especially so when he wrestled overseas (which was quite a bit).

So he always stayed in the best of shape.

He also said that there was a lot of real shoots behind closed doors in gym workouts through the years - and not just in his own experience - but a number of guys would do it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.