UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Training through a broken toe

3/7/12 12:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HoldYerGround
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the toe next to the big toe got jammed backwards yesterday morning during practice. As the day went on it swelled up like a motherfucker and turned black and blue, so I'm going to assume its broken.

I have a big tournament on sunday and will have to train through the injury. Have any of you done the same with a toe? What did you do for recovery/taping/etc?
3/13/12 3:29 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

honestly, as much as I hate to say this but you gotta take some anti-inflammatory stuff or the throbbing pain will kill you...taping it is good but don't do it yourself have someone with experience do it. 

needless to say your performance will suffer but not as much as if it as the hallux (big toe) 
5/8/12 8:41 AM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've broken that toe many times over the years, always between the 2nd & 3rd knuckles (I'm considering the 1st knuckle the one where your toe joins your foot).

Here's what I do:

Use thin strips of athletic tape (1/4-1/3 of the width of a roll) to wrap the toe alone over the break.

Place bits of folded up paper towel or cotton balls or whatever between the broken toe and the next one to keep them in natural alignment. It will hurt like hell if your toes are just mashed together without any spacing.

Then, starting on the supportive toe, use more thin strips of athletic tape to splint the broken toe to the supportive toe.

If you start on the broken toe, it will be more painful when you remove the tape later.

Only tape in between the knuckles, not over the knuckles themselves or your toes won't be able to flex. Also, I've never found taping between the 1st and 2nd knuckles to be very useful, only between the 2nd & 3rd.

If necessary, add in the third toe but make sure you space them all out with the paper towel or cotton.

When your done with that, decide if its enough support. If not, wrap over the whole thing with wider pieces of tape.
5/16/12 11:49 PM
HoldYerGround
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still have problems with my toe BTW. I never stopped training on it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.