UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Griffin tested positive for marijuana at UFC 123

3/9/12 9:38 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
915 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On November 20, 2010 the UFC returned to Michigan for the first time in almost 15 years.

Regulation of MMA by the Michigan Unarmed Combat Commission has been under extraordinary criticism by the Association of Boxing Commissions, which recently took the unprecedented step of asking its member commissions to no longer recognize MMA fights taking place in Michigan.

Perhaps unsurprizingly, regulation of UFC 123 was not flawless. Time was not kept properly in the Gerald Harris vs. Maiquel Falcao fight, and the first round was ended prematurely, robbing Falcao of the opportunity to finish a choke he had applied.

Further controversy ensued when Nick Lentz was announced as the winner over Tyson Griffin by Split Decision. The vast majority of fans and professionals alike, including UFC President Dana White, thought Griffin was the winner.

Now BloodyElbow's Brent Brookhouse has discovered that Tyson Griffin was disciplined for testing positive for Marijuana, and that it was never made public.

PDF on the State of Michigan website details what happened:

2. TYSON LEE GRIFFIN - Complaint No. 316174
The Commission reviewed the Stipulation and complaint. The respondent admits to violation of Sections MCL 338.3648(6)(a) and R 339.269(3). The Stipulation, in part, provides for the following:
a. At the next unarmed combat or boxing contest Respondent participates in as a contestant, within the State of Michigan, Respondent may be specifically selected for a post-contest urine screening to measure the presence of alcohol or drugs.
b. Respondent shall pay a fine in the amount of $250 within 60 days from the mailing date of the Final Order.
c. Failure to comply with the terms and conditions within 60 days from the mailing date of the Final Order shall result in a suspension of all licenses or registration renewals and denial of future applications for licensure until compliance is made.
d. Respondent license was summarily suspended for at least 100 days.
It was moved by Mr. Mueller and supported by Mr. Packer to accept the Stipulation. The motion passed unanimously.

A call (was made) to the Michigan Unarmed Combat Commission to determine why this information was never made public as well as to find out exactly what Griffin tested positive for. Carol Moultine of the commission informed me that the state followed their procedures exactly in this case and that if I wanted to know what Tyson tested positive for, I would have to file a Freedom of Information Act request to obtain the file.

That's exactly what I did and a week later I received the disciplinary action report for Griffin and found out that he had tested positive for Cannabinoids.

Why did Michigan not make this information public? The public pays for the government commission to operate and pays for tickets/pay-per-views for the events, anything the commission does should be made easily accessible for the public.

In the end we're left with a lot of questionable behavior around a simple 100 day license suspension during a time when drug testing is at the forefront of the media with Diaz's marijuana conviction and the continued presence of testosterone replacement therapy in the headlines.

Read entire article...

3/9/12 9:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_ZJJitsu705
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for a second i thought of Forrest.. which would be ironic considering he was one of the fighters to make a hilarious tweet about not using drugs post diaz v condit.

No one likes tyson anyways. 
3/9/12 9:42 AM
Skeletor68
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Tyson.

kungfugrip
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you want to be a professional fighter, start acting like a professional!
mizunopro
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hmmmm
3/9/12 9:55 AM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skeletor68 -

I like Tyson.

Yeah, me too. If anything, I don't like Forrest. Phone Post
3/9/12 10:01 AM
Roy Batty
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He needed it to numb the pain from eating a Fireball hook. Gomi breaks everyone he beats, even if he doesn't beat as many guys these days.
3/9/12 10:01 AM
Zamiel
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Article is silly for making such a big deal about it not being made public. Why is it on the UFC to go out of their way to publicize a guy being suspended for less time than he'd probably have between fights anyway?
3/9/12 10:05 AM
jjmarine1

HMMM...I DIDN'T FIGURE TYSON FOR A POTHEAD.
3/9/12 10:11 AM
jjj2121

Zamiel - Article is silly for making such a big deal about it not being made public. Why is it on the UFC to go out of their way to publicize a guy being suspended for less time than he'd probably have between fights anyway?

It is kind of a big deal when your fighter has a banned substance in his system and nobody knew about it for a year and a half. 
3/9/12 10:16 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Because he is a gatekeeper and nobody cares? Nobody looks at a card and says oh shit Tyson Griffin is fighting, I will buy that card!
3/9/12 10:17 AM
PINNN

GET HIGH BROTHA
GET HIGH BROTHA
GET HIGH BROTHA
3/9/12 10:37 AM
Brigham
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh Phone Post
3/9/12 10:38 AM
Chris Power
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand the difference, and there is one, but it does still kind of suck that Zuffa seems so able to sweep pot suspensions under the rug for some guys (Sanchez, Griffin) but Nick gets blasted for it.

Like I said though, the situations are QUITE different and I'm not trying to defend or attack anybody - it just sucks.
3/9/12 10:39 AM
EBM
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This happened at UFC 123.

He's fought twice, since then.

No license suspension/punnishment handed down from Zuffa?

Something doesn't seem to be adding up...
3/9/12 10:41 AM
EBM
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder how Nick Diaz feels about this?
3/9/12 10:45 AM
vigilance

Zuffa doesn't suspend licences.

And they didn't punish Diaz either.
3/9/12 10:45 AM
Godmode

Marijuana is not a performance enchancement drug
3/9/12 10:47 AM

EBM - This happened at UFC 123.

Diaz was given a gift to fight for the title after only having to win once in the UFC ww division as stacked as it is, then he was offered an immediate rematch for the title. I highly doubt these actions would be consistant with Zuffa trying to hold him back. He already tested positive before this so he was punished based on being a repeat offender
3/9/12 10:48 AM

plebad0 - so the fight will be ruled as no contest now?

If he won they would have, he lost at 123
3/9/12 10:48 AM
EBM

vigilance - Zuffa doesn't suspend licences.

And they didn't punish Diaz either.

Those were two separate ideas, which is why there was a "/" mark...

Diaz was punnished, not by Zuffa.
3/9/12 10:56 AM
BigEyedFish
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what - Marijuana the fight enhancer

This is more about the big herd needing to know your business than enhancing performance

America, Land of the incarcerated pot smokers

lame

+1
3/9/12 10:57 AM
EBM

Edited: 03/10/12 3:32 PM

3/9/12 10:59 AM

RyannVonDoom - 
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun -
EBM - This happened at UFC 123.

Diaz was given a gift to fight for the title after only having to win once in the UFC ww division as stacked as it is, then he was offered an immediate rematch for the title. I highly doubt these actions would be consistant with Zuffa trying to hold him back. He already tested positive before this so he was punished based on being a repeat offender
Anderson ko'd leben and got a title shot for his 2nd fight in the ufc. Phone Post

MW division was never deep though. There have been nonstop challengers at ww since GSP won the title. People knocked Franklin because he fought crap competition lol at people not having the same objectivity when it is a fighter they like fighting shit competition. Aka the Boise State of MMA, Anderson Silva.
3/9/12 11:09 AM
Furyan

plebad0 -
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - 
plebad0 - so the fight will be ruled as no contest now?

If he won they would have, he lost at 123

they should still make it a no contest as a matter of principle
And punish Gomi for Tyson's mistake? You don't take away a W from someone if the loser (person they beat) fucks up. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.