UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> 1/2 nl strategy?

3/9/12 2:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
moabwarrior
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is your best strategy for 1/2 nl holdem?
3/9/12 3:37 PM
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you mean live, just play ABC poker (play in position, good hand ranges, raise big hands preflop) and don't bluff (or choose your bluff spots wisely).
3/9/12 3:38 PM
VectorWega

BTW, when you have a big hand, overbet pots and make your opponents pay to draw because they will.
3/9/12 6:23 PM
Pikes
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, 1/2 live at Foxwoods is hardly even poker. You can sit and fold 100 hands and wait for a big one, raise raise raise, and take a huge pot. Most of the time no one realizes you've been folding all night and plays at you anyway.
3/9/12 7:37 PM
moabwarrior
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent Thanks guys
3/12/12 3:23 PM
moabwarrior

What would be the major difference between a 1/2 and 2/5 table Besides the blinds ?
3/12/12 3:49 PM
VectorWega

Most of the 1/2 tables I have played limping is pretty standard.  At 2/5 entering the pot with a raise is more standard.  Preflop 1/2 raises tend to be greater.  For instance, when I play 1/2 I will raise a minimum of 6x the big blind ($12).  Where as in 2/5 I will raise a minimum of 4x ($20) and a maximum of 7x ($35).  At 2/5 there are more preflop re-raises (still not that many).

Also, the skill level is higher at 2/5.  There are more pro/semi-pro regulars at 2/5 than 1/2.  To me, 2/5 is more like "real poker" and 1/2 plays similiarly to play money stakes online.  That being said, don't underestimate your opponents because there are some decent players at 1/2 and whether you consider someone good/bad is really subjective.
3/18/12 11:25 AM
moabwarrior

I have been playing 1/2 this weekend in Biloxi , I'm breaking even but my question is I find my self tripled up really often but then I play my stack down shld I set a limit for my self and when I hit it leave?
3/18/12 5:16 PM
VectorWega

In theory, if all things are equal it shouldn't matter because variance happens regardless and you could cash out $600 then buy back in and get felted twice (or simply leak chips) and be back to even.  However, there are some possible differences:

1)  Your play - does it change when you are deepstacked?  Players will often play looser when they are deep and this can lead to a significant leakage of chips.  Do you play "scared" in big hands ?

2)  Your opponents play - do they play you differently when you are deep?  Perhaps they are gunning for you.  In fact, good players may transfer to your table simply because they see a big stack and that is not good for you.

3)  Decision making - Decisions become much more difficult when deep.  There are more opportunities for good opponents to bluff you and if you are playing a bit scared you could lose a lot of chips in these hands.

4)  Risk/Reward - When you are a deep stack you are taking greater risk for a possible greater return (ie you may cooler someone in a $1,200 pot or vice versa)

Also, the length of play is important.  The longer you play, the better you will know your opponents (which is good) and the better they will know your play.  Also, after 4 to 5 hrs you may begin to fatigue and make decisions that you wouldn't otherwise make.
3/18/12 5:19 PM
VectorWega

Since you are relatively inexperienced, I would recommend changing tables when you are deepstacked and buying in at the other table for the amount your originally brought.  There is no guarrantee that will solve your problem though.
3/18/12 11:59 PM
moabwarrior

Thank you
3/20/12 7:13 PM
moabwarrior

I really tried to evaluate my play this weekend and I believe the more money I have the looser I get and the more straights and flushes I chase. I'm really goina try to. Stop this mentality when I get a head.
3/28/12 3:53 PM
UGCTT_ATLien
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tim we have a bad-ass 2/5 game 3 nights per week down in Macon GA if you ever wanna head down
3/28/12 4:12 PM
moabwarrior

good idea new guy asking begginer questions get him at your home game and break him lol what nights?
3/28/12 4:12 PM
moabwarrior

good idea new guy asking begginer questions get him at your home game and break him lol what nights?
3/30/12 12:25 AM
UGCTT_ATLien
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sat, sun, wed...baaaaaaad play i swear...saturdays is 1/2 night we watch the fights more friendly
3/30/12 7:42 AM
moabwarrior

Email me. Moabstout@gmail.com Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.