UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Anyone here make their own Bourbon or Dark Rum?

3/12/12 7:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
the venerable dr wu
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just wondered who here distills and what ingredients people use in their wash's.

I do a sour mash ferment with 30% backset, a corn / barley mix but cheat some by adding sugar, boil it down a bit, small amounts..I struggle to get a wash past 9% for 25L drum. oak on toasted american oak, shits over Jim B.

My dark Rum fairs not as well, i'm using stock feed mollasses 3L and white sugar 3KG for 30 L wash. The ferment is often slow, I fear the stock feed mollasses has some impurities affecting fermentation. best i've had is 9% wash.

would anyone here who distills like to share their recipes and equipment they use, advise their best method of clarifying mollasses if you do that..

cheers
3/12/12 4:34 PM
MichaelVronsky
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm interested in this. I've only made brandy so far.
3/12/12 10:20 PM
the venerable dr wu
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice Michael, how'd it turn out? would you like to describe your ferment/distillation process?
3/13/12 11:54 AM
MichaelVronsky
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it came out kinda.. eh.

got my brother a mini still for xmas. kettle is a pressure cooker with a thermometer in it. copper tube out to a small copper slobber box then onto a coil in a large coffee can.

ran some red and white wine at about 200 degrees. pitched the first 200ml of each run and combined the rest in a jar and threw a vanilla bean in there. hasnt blinded us yet!

basically we justb wanted to learn how to use the equipment before we made a mash.

pretty fun stuff.

if you have any tips or tricks for a beginner they'd be greatly appreciated!
3/13/12 12:05 PM
temp226208
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where does one start? I'm interested in learning.
3/15/12 12:47 PM
PJ Dive
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't even know where to begin with such an ambitious project. But if you ever need someone to test it...
3/15/12 9:54 PM
the venerable dr wu

http://homedistiller.org/forum/index.php?sid=64f51022b5e3c69d074eb7110d60f701

is the best place to start, lot's of great advice there. Biggest thing i'd say is don't get sucked in by brew shops and buy a whole heap of stuff you don't need.

Michael, the spirit probally needs time to age, and your cuts were probally too large, after 200ml your still probally getting heads, depending on the wash volume and ABV. If you haven't heard of this term check this link for a explanation,

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13261

If your interested in just making a clear spirit to make liqueurs and stuff, i highly recomend the "Tomato paste wash"
for 25 L i use
200gms tomato paste (reduced salt)
5kg white sugar
80gms bakers yeast
1/4 teaspoon citric acid

should get you up around 10-12 ABV, depending on climate. costs next to nothing. Then you have to filter through charcoal of course..

I personally like my lemon peel liqueur and vanilla liqueur..then there's the homemade baileys.. mmm

3/25/12 2:45 PM
WalrusTitty
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't distilled at home, but I work for a craft brewery/distillery. Have you looked in to the yeast that you are using? If you are looking for a stronger mash, that could be an easy place to start. Another thing you could do is look at some yeast nutrient to ensure that you are fermenting all the way to 0 and getting all of your sugars converted. I would like to start distilling at home, but the wife doesn't seem to think it's such a great idea. I would also be nervous to make my head/tail cuts.
4/6/12 6:02 AM
the venerable dr wu

Overlooked this thread sorry, good point about the yeast, I'm using reg bakers yeast..some nutrient might help. I did try a turbo yeast but there were off smells..don't trust the shit they use to make bio fuel..

I've found making spirit very rewarding.. But it's time consuming in the beginning..
I smell regular rum now and it just smells like tails..since making this thread I've got a sauce of molasses straight from the mill.. Fucking beaut I'd put it on my toast..And the ferments are much more vigorous.

Working out your cuts isn't that hard.. I use beer bottles taking small 250ml cuts.. Get around 15 bottles.. Starting to taste in the middle and working my way out. The heads are where the hangovers are.. Tails just affect taste, as your prolly aware..

What's your job involve at the distillery? Sounds like fun.. And a awesome source for a hombrew setup... Phone Post
4/21/12 11:06 PM
WalrusTitty
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My job is shipping and receiving. I order most of the raw materials, packaging, etc. and process all the orders going out. They definetly make homebrewing easy - you can use all the grain/hops you want for the most part. To be honest, I only do about one batch a year - when I get done with work I don't really want to spend my free time making beer.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.