UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Dog with possible skin cancer

3/12/12 8:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dragon Fire
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a 5 year old American Staffordshire, with possible skin cancer. She has a biopsy tomorrow. She gets these black heads under her skin and she begins to itch so bad that it creates blisters on her belly. The vets have given her a series of allergy shots and medication and it seems to clear up. This has been going on for about two years. Has anybody had a dog with this issue?
3/12/12 4:32 PM
MichaelVronsky
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've had several bully breeds with various dermatitis, allergy issues and skin problems. its fairly common in the breed. I personally have not heard many instances of melanoma in dogs but the one i did hear of was a pit bull whho lived in arizona and was a sun bather.

the biggest factors i've found to effect a dog's skin health is diet and bathing (not too much, not too little).

can you post pictures? also, what color is the dog? dilutes (especially blues) and white dogs are often prone to skin problems.
3/14/12 8:47 PM
Dragon Fire

No I don't have current pictures. They look like black heads on her belly and with the scratching eventually turn into blisters. Vet gave her steroid shot and anti-biotic pills for 5 weeks and that seems to be clearing most of it up. Still waiting on biopsy result. Phone Post
3/21/12 5:13 PM
MichaelVronsky
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best wishes for you and the pup. let us know how it shakes out.
3/25/12 2:45 AM
Dragon Fire

Well, I got the results of the biopsy on Thursday. She has skin cancer (carcinoma). It's such a sad day!!! It's basically stage II (intermediate). She is still the same dog, happy go lucky! She hasn't skipped a beat. Two more lesions need to be removed but I l'm just hoping or the best. Is there any vaccine out there that can help? If so which ones are available and has anybody had experienced this disheartening news? Phone Post
3/25/12 9:47 PM
MichaelVronsky

Ah shit man. Sorry to hear. However, skin cancer is one of the most treatable cancers out there. Good luck. Phone Post
5/28/12 11:06 PM
Fredrico
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If things aren't working out, take a look at Neoplasene

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.