UnderGround Forums

MMA Memorabilia UnderGround >> When do fakes start getting made?

3/13/12 4:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grkblood
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Show Radio, Owner

I'm VERY new to collecting and I wanted to know how old a card typically has to be to where you should be cautious about what you buy. I'm guessing that if someone is going to make a fake theyre not going to waste their time doing it on an event thats fairly recent. 

How long has to pass to where the fakes start popping up on ebay? Also, what about foreign UFC cards? Would you be cautious about purchasing a UFC RIO portuguese poster even though the card is pretty recent?
3/13/12 5:18 PM
iSsUEs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not really on how old sumin is, it's about price. If there's money in sumin they will make fakes plain and simple. Goes for anything not just mma. Phone Post
3/13/12 9:02 PM
Malcolmdogg
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tap In -  When canada gets involved apparently
You should see my printer eh........... Phone Post
3/13/12 9:09 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, Owner
 I don't get it. What's this about Canada?
3/13/12 9:15 PM
the chip guy

Kult_Komel made some fake UFC 112's, that's the newest one i've seen so far. He's been selling his fake Colosseum 2000 and Pride "US version" posters for awhlie now.

Movie poster bootleggers have been faking the Black "there are no rules" Vidmark for a long time, there are several version of this one to look out for.

The list of "Cam specials" has not been finalized yet... I think we are going to be adding a few more event posters to that list once it's all said and done.

so far I think it's,

Colosseum 2000

UFC 5, 11, 22 "no rules" vidmark

Pride 3, 6, 2000 Gp "worlds #1 warrior"

If I missed any please let me know.

I suspect most of the UFC 26, 28 Brazil portuguese version posters Cam sold are fake too but I can't prove it.
3/13/12 9:40 PM
SamboReigns
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Kult Komel is also selling fake Ufc 79's also.
3/13/12 11:34 PM
FerrozzoFan

the chip guy - Kult_Komel made some fake UFC 112's, that's the newest one i've seen so far. He's been selling his fake Colosseum 2000 and Pride "US version" posters for awhlie now.

Movie poster bootleggers have been faking the Black "there are no rules" Vidmark for a long time, there are several version of this one to look out for.

The list of "Cam specials" has not been finalized yet... I think we are going to be adding a few more event posters to that list once it's all said and done.

so far I think it's,

Colosseum 2000

UFC 5, 11, 22 "no rules" vidmark

Pride 3, 6, 2000 Gp "worlds #1 warrior"

If I missed any please let me know.

I suspect most of the UFC 26, 28 Brazil portuguese version posters Cam sold are fake too but I can't prove it.
I agree with Chip. I think there are alot more fakes out there than we know of. The problem with fakes is that if they are good they are hard to spot, especially if it's a rare poster.

3/14/12 10:50 AM
SamboReigns
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian Peppers - You can add Pride 2 (the Gracie vs "Keer" one) and Pride GP 03 red boxes. Both are slightly smaller than B2s and obviously fakes when you look closely at the print quality.

Wow, and the list grows.
3/14/12 12:20 PM
fightpimp

I think we should clarify here... there was an individual (roland) that had a few fakes in japan and tried to push them off as real. The number of fakes was EXTREMELY limited though and not every Pride 2 and GP03 red boxes out there is a fake, in fact the number of real ones are almost all of them... unless you bought one from roland in japan, about 3-4 years ago. also those pridefc sweatsuits were "made" and not by pridefc... awesome quality but not made by pride... they were made by "somebody" that had access to the files... in japan.
3/14/12 4:32 PM
yumaslim
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Brazil i got from Cam is the same as the one i got from a UFC employee from that show. I think there would be a ton of them out there if they were reproduced.

The Pride 2 posters may have been faked, BUT! There are real ones out there. One of the promoters for pride 2 has them still and varified that they were made and at the press conference only.

Dont know anything about the red boxes posters.
3/14/12 4:46 PM
kingbisping

whats this cam fellas ebay username? i want to avoid Phone Post
3/16/12 8:54 AM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, Owner
FYI for ebay buyers, Kult's username is actually kult_kloemel

store: http://www.ebay.com/sch/kult_kloemel/m.html?hash=item2a12802ea2&item=180699016866&pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_ET&_trksid=p4340.l2562
3/16/12 10:27 AM
FerrozzoFan

kingbisping -  whats this cam fellas ebay username? i want to avoid Phone Post

fight figures. he doesn't sell posters anymore. just programs, cards, toys etc.
3/16/12 2:51 PM
the chip guy

yumaslim - The Brazil i got from Cam is the same as the one i got from a UFC employee from that show. I think there would be a ton of them out there if they were reproduced.

well it's confirmed that Cam sold fake and real posters from the same event, would you be willing to compare your real one to a suspected "Cam special"?

3/18/12 3:18 AM
the chip guy

the chip guy - 
yumaslim - The Brazil i got from Cam is the same as the one i got from a UFC employee from that show. I think there would be a ton of them out there if they were reproduced.

well it's confirmed that Cam sold fake and real posters from the same event, would you be willing to compare your real one to a suspected "Cam special"?

Slim are you ever going to get back to me on this? Yes or no it's easy to answer....

3/18/12 4:25 PM
yumaslim

yes
3/18/12 4:42 PM
yumaslim

"When do fakes start getting made?"

In 2000 a friend of mine showed me this place online called ebay. The first poster i bought through my friend on his computer was a ufc vdeo poster(5 bucks). When i wanted to get more my fiend did the search for 'ufc poster'. 4 or 5 items came up. UFC 5,11,22, and no rules were there. I couldnt believe i was seeing these for sale and cheap(15 bucks each). I got 3 of each one. So Cam specials were made before or around 2000.
3/18/12 7:25 PM
fightpimp

I have ALL records from Ebay from 2001 - 2007+/-. Every sale.
3/19/12 11:58 AM
yumaslim

fightpimp -  I have ALL records from Ebay from 2001 - 2007+/-. Every sale.

How many fakes did you buy?
3/19/12 12:28 PM
fightpimp

when the ufc 5 belt went up for sale i did a "wholesale" transaction of like $750 for maybe 50 or so posters and they all ended up being brand-new looking mint reproductions. At that same time 3 or 4 other "buyers" bought large amounts for short money. Before that I purchased 2 or 3 of each poster and didnt even think to look if they were real or not... it was when the huge order cam in and as soon as the tube opened it smelled like INK... if a poster smells like ink it was printed in hte last year or so, most likely less.
3/19/12 12:32 PM
fightpimp

The newer ufc posters smell like ink on a regular basis especially if you get them off of ebay from PrizePig or one of the guys that get them right away... so if you buy a UFC 79 etc... and it smell like ink... you have a situation. The only exception to this would be if somebody was storing older posters in a tube with new ones... it is possible (but not likely) that the older poster could smell like ink. bottom line: if an older poster smell like INK, you need to look closer...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.