UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Has anyone heard of Denver Judo or Their Coaches?

3/14/12 12:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I did BJJ for a while, some Muay Thai, and am looking to start Judo. My close friend Bryan Baker is a black belt in Judo, and the system seems so practical for MMA as we are seeing that whoever can dominate the scrambles will usually end up in better position. Judo is great in that respect. Plus I am very interested in it. I am hearing the in Denver we have Denver Judo and they have some of the best coaches in the country. Anyone hear familiar with them>

http://www.denverjudo.com/
3/14/12 7:47 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A-1 place to learn judo. My buddy Jim Carmer( retired and moved) who was an instructor there for many years and fellow competitor loved being a part of Denver judo. YOu have experience instructors, good student base. What more can ask for in a local club?
3/15/12 2:37 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Denver Judo has some solid coaches. They are good people who truly love Judo. You should have a very nice experience there.

Another club in the Denver area to check out is http://northglennjudo.org/ Their coaches are world level, easily. I don't know if there are even 5 or 6 people in the USA who I'd rather take my kid to than Jean Luc Moreau and Warren Agena.
3/19/12 11:36 PM
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am really looking for a place where Judo is taught in both a traditional level, but also in a practical sense for MMA. I am fascinated with Judo's throws and think that it is great for MMA.
3/20/12 6:19 AM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My comments are for traditional judo only. Many judo places are not in the judo business for MMA. That is probably why judo in the US (as a whole)is not as popular since it doesn't offer the other forms of grappling. It exists to promote grass roots judo and maybe some Olympic hopefulls in the future.
3/22/12 1:09 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there are guys at either club who will destroy you... dont you dare judge before you go.
3/23/12 11:15 PM

JoshuaResnick - there are guys at either club who will destroy you... dont you dare judge before you go.

WHOA WHOA WHOA, first off I would never just assume anything about something I have little experience with. That is not what my point was. I also was not saying in any way they wouldn't destroy me.

What I was saying is I have probably been to about 2 weeks of judo classes tops and it felt like we were kind of dancing while attempting to get our training partner off balance.

My fear is I will get going in a McDojo type place. I want to learn Judo because I think it incorporates amazing take downs and throws, as well as much of the great things in BJJ.

This is why I said a place where things are taught on a traditional level, but also a practical one. Granted my knowledge of judo is limited so it may be one in the same.
3/24/12 11:58 AM
judo man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is exactly how it is. You are learning proper technique and probably doing a lot of ukemi(breakfalling). I got news for you, learning throws is not easy and takes awhile to learn correctly so be patient. You are probably in a beginner's class that is the normal approach to teaching judo.
3/25/12 2:36 AM
JoshuaResnick

first.. relax.. i was just teasing you a bit. no biggie. i know you didnt mean it "that way.." =)

i teach people to dance all the time in Judo.. especially adults.. want to know why.. becuase adults suck ass. they are horrible students. always afraid of shit, never want to be thrown. always tying to use power eventhough they probably dont have any real power and certainly dont have any any idea what power is in Judo. by their very existance in a judo club, beginning adults are a nightmare to teach...

my 4 year old son is developing better technique and timing than any 25+ year old adult beginner i've ever worked with, and he doesnt even know his right from left or have any power whatsoever... in fact, he lets others throw him just for the fun of it.

give me an adult like that and I can teach some awesome stuff, and fast...

all the same, ive had an adult beginner or two decide to think practice was the damn world championships... i certainly dont have a problem if they want me to go there with them-- but it won't be pretty and they most likely will not want to come back.

if you are in a club with instructors whose credentials are like those of Denver Judo or Northglenn i can promise you that you are in so over your head you cannot even comprehend it. your entire lifetime would not be enough to get even half-way to what some of those guy know.
3/30/12 3:46 PM
PoWdA101
567 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/30/12 3:51 PM
303, I have and still sometimes do train at Denver Judo. Great coaches there all with a lot of experience. If you ahve any questions we can take this to PM but I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have. If you want to check it out I would suggest getting in touch with Heidi or Scott and ask some questions.

I was doing the day classes with Keith a few days a week but got busy at work and couldn't do lunchtime classes anymore but plan on returning. it was cool as I knew Keith from my childhood. When I was about 10 he was a high brown belt, that was 18 years ago. Training under Scott I can say that he definitely knows his stuff as do the other instructors.

I would say be ready for some very traditional stuff, bowing, using Japanese language, and other formalities but make no mistake, they train very hard at Denver Judo. The atmosphere reminds me more of some kind of factory that creates fighters. Very structured with a lot of very intense drills and a lot of randori. We learn a lot of groundwork as well as throws and all technique being taught is A+.

I cannot speak higher of the facility or the instructors at Denver Judo. I HIGHLY recommend you at least call and go in and check it out. Be warned you will spend the first 2 or 3 classes doing nothing but break falls and possibly be shown a throw at the end of class just to try and keep you interested.

I really have enjoyed my time at Denver Judo but ignore the "you are in over your head" talk. While we train hard the atmosphere is not hostile at all. Very down to earth family people with warrior spirits. While the instructors are extremely talented people that have devoted their lives to Judo they have also devoted their lives to teaching Judo and that means teaching from the greenest white belts up to the lower black belts. Basically, yes, these are very high level Judoka but don't ever think that they are not dedicated to teaching the new guy.

So again, if you have any questions let me know. Also, noticed your post about the mouth cancer. Good luck man.
4/1/12 10:16 AM
JoshuaResnick

the "you are in over your head" was a references to how much the instructors at the club know.. perhaps you should've read it. they are two clubs with immense knowledge and any beginner, or even intermediate guy, would in "way over his head" in terms of what they KNOW about judo.

no club in their right mind, not even a place like SJSU, would feed a beginner to the wolves like what you made it seem like.
4/2/12 11:40 AM
PoWdA101
567 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - the "you are in over your head" was a references to how much the instructors at the club know.. perhaps you should've read it. they are two clubs with immense knowledge and any beginner, or even intermediate guy, would in "way over his head" in terms of what they KNOW about judo.

no club in their right mind, not even a place like SJSU, would feed a beginner to the wolves like what you made it seem like.
lol yeah I made it seem like he would be thrown to the wolves. I did. That was me talking, not you. lol okay bro.

JoshuaResnick - there are guys at either club who will destroy you... dont you dare judge before you go.

JoshuaResnick - ive had an adult beginner or two decide to think practice was the damn world championships... i certainly dont have a problem if they want me to go there with them-- but it won't be pretty and they most likely will not want to come back.

Obviously the guy is new to Judo and pretty much any blackbelt will have a ton more experience than him and be able to crush him etc... I don't think that is the point of this thread.

Yes 303, Denver Judo is a great place to train and learn Judo. Although it is absolutley a traditional Judo dojo and you are only going to be learning Judo they did recently have a fighter win his first heavyweight pro MMA fight representing Denver Judo. Now I would not expect to go in there and get a ton of MMA training as they don't even have a stand up program but George won his fight under the Denver Judo banner so that might mean something to you as it seems like you have an interest in Judo for MMA application.

Again, if you have questions about the dojo let me know. I also know a forum where you can get in touch with Heidi(co-operator) online if that is easier for you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.