UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lorenzo: Silva/Shelby can develop a WMMA league

3/14/12 7:09 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

While UFC President Dana White has long voiced the concern that there is not enough depth in women's MMA, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta feels that is starting to change.

"I've never been against it," Fertitta recently told MMAFighting.com about Women's MMA. "You know, me and Dana, although we always go on a common front, we don't always agree on everything. The reality is, I'm a fan. I was captivated by the [Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate] fight, blown away by their athleticism and the way they promoted the fight, the whole thing. To me, it was very, very entertaining.

"Dana is right. Historically there has been an issue with the depth of talent in the talent pool, but it seems to me like that is starting to change and the one argument I make when we talk about it, and this might sound a little self-serving, but we've never been in the women's game, so we've never had our matchmakers do this. Let Joe Silva and Sean Shelby develop a women's league. I guarantee you they can do it. They're that good."

"I think (Ronda Rousey) has a tremendous amount of potential. She's got a great personality. She's got the ability to grab the public's attention, how she talks, and then she goes in there and backs it up. I mean, it's almost like Ali when he would go in there and call out the round. It's that kind of aura about her. I'm really positive on her and Miesha. I was very impressed. I'm happy for them."

"I think that there's enough great athletes out there and when you see the stature, the celebrity, the money that these girls are now starting to make, I think you're going to see more women rise to the occasion and want to become professional athletes and compete. So I'm kind of positive on the whole thing."

Read entire article...

3/14/12 7:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FoxNewb11
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva and Shelby should just work with Invictus. Which already is supposed to be in some kind of mutually beneficial relationship with Strikeforce.
3/14/12 7:27 PM
32Hunter

Lorenzo's awesome . he just loves fights.
3/14/12 7:27 PM
JerodR
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Womens league and womens TUF would be a good thing. I think it is at the point where they can make it happen. I wish they would.
3/14/12 7:33 PM
Ocean6
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerodR - Women's TUF would be a good thing. I think it is at the point where they can make it happen. I wish they would.

PANTY RAID!
3/14/12 7:41 PM
MMALOGIC

3/14/12 8:56 PM
QueenCityLurker
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/14/12 8:57 PM
I'll be honest, an all woman TUF would definitely be something I would watch, provided Silva and Shelby scouted for the right talent. I think they could find 12 women across the globe who could potentially have the talent to base the show off of.<br /><br />After gaining exposure I think the WMMA scene would then gain a little momentum and we'd start to see more women training and competing, which would create more depth to the division. It would have to be a single weight class for the time being, probably '35ers. <br /><br />I'd rather watch an episode of TUF with hot chicks throwing down than two dudes.<br /><br />Someone queue DAT ASS pics plz.
3/14/12 8:59 PM
RKing85
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a women's version of TUF is the only way I would watch TUF again.
3/14/12 9:01 PM
Card
2321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A woman's TUF is a great idea.
3/14/12 9:41 PM
Dana Stern

They should make Strikeforce an all womans promotion. Take all the guys that are worth anything move them to the UFC and promote Strikeforce as a WMMA Promotion.
3/14/12 10:19 PM
MMALOGIC

I dont think the female division will transition into the UFC until all relevant territories around the Globe have been opened to UFC shows (new york, germany, melbourne, etc..., etc...) 
3/14/12 10:28 PM
JimmersonzGlove
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Typo in the first word of the article.
3/14/12 10:32 PM
herculestex1

hell yes!
3/14/12 10:38 PM
Kirik
2017 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
 TUF is how the UFC thrived, and is the vehicle they are using to move it internationally. A W TUF makes sense.
3/14/12 11:19 PM
r_o_y

like it's been said already,a female TUF. it's time.

don't even worry about finding just mma women. get the muay thai girls and judo and kickboxing or boxing...whatever. stack the division with as much kick ass talent you can find.
3/15/12 9:35 AM
goku

They should not do an all women's tuf they should do a guy/girl tuf. That is how u create drama. Every successful reality show has guy/girl dynamic Phone Post
3/15/12 9:37 AM
Humphrey

ROFL at comparing ronda fucking rousey with Ali... Just hilarious
3/15/12 2:56 PM
epwar
534 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sign Amanda Lucas and get her to trim down to 135.  That'll get people talking.

3/17/12 8:18 PM
epwar
534 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyannVonDoom - lol @ getting Lucas to 135.. have you seen her? She's like 200lbs easy.
Sherdog has her fighting at 156.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.