Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LiveFromThe7x7
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting Phone Post
3/28/12 8:56 AM
fraserme

Hey Taku, do you have him do any kind of warm up sets or anything; or do you just have him start with his working weight and go for broke?

thanks
3/28/12 12:41 PM
Taku
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/28/12 12:41 PM
 Hey fraserme,

Most of my current clients work with me for brief sessions (average 30 minutes). Most often they will perform their own general warm-up for as long as they feel is required to be ready for action.

If I have folks warm-up it is usually a combination of bodyweight and or med-ball movements. This is typically about 3-minutes of work. Then I may* have them complete 1-2 warm-ups with the first movmement of the day (Deadlift for example). The warm-ups would be 50% of work weight for6-8 reps, and 75% work weight for 3-5 reps.

Then get into it.

I do my best to have all of the stations set up in advance with the weights for the day. In this way I can smoothly transition from exercise to exercise with minimal set-up required.

I prefer to rest as little as possible between sets but allow up to two minutes.

Hope all that helps.

TAKU

P.S. * I sometimes skip the specific warm-up and dive right in to the work sets. 
4/2/12 5:50 AM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TAKU, 

How come you only have him lifting once a week? Is it because of his bike work or do you feel once a week is enough?
4/2/12 12:02 PM
Taku
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cdueck,

Primarily due to his extreme training schedule. Although I have many clients that get great results training once per week. I most often work with people twice per week (strength training) and give "Home Work" for the rest of their training.

TAKU
4/2/12 1:00 PM
GaydarBlane

Good stuff, Taku. As I get older, I've really started embracing the less is more philosophy and have made better improvements than my "do everything every week" approach of my younger years. I wish I had started sooner.
4/5/12 12:07 PM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would interest me is seeing this approach applied to sprinting for distance.

You could do either thinks like 15m-20m sprints in 2:00 or simply the amount of distance he's able to cover in 2:00. I wonder if those numbers would also increase and what that would mean for overall running performance.

Paul

http://AdventureRun.Net
4/12/12 9:31 AM
Taku

Hey Adventure Runner,

I like that idea. I know some Sprinting coaches use a similar concept for the L.S.D. portion of their support training. They have their sprinters do fast walking for 15 minutes and attempt to increase the distance that they cover in that time.

I am going to try this with myself and a few of my guys. I'll let you know what occurs.

TAKU

P.S. We are in the middle of a week straight of rain out here so as soon as the sun comes out, I will give this a try.
4/12/12 12:26 PM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please do! I'd be very curious to hear the results.
4/13/12 11:31 AM
Taku

I am on it!

TAKU
4/13/12 12:58 PM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This isn't that important but how big is your client? just curious.
6/13/12 11:30 PM
cdueck

Taku, would doing this three times a week be too much.
I am coming back from a surgery and have the ok to start working harder but I find I am really weak. I am 5 weeks out from a bowel surgery that split my abs up the middle. My cardio is pretty good but my strength is down a fair bit.

Thanks
Chad
6/14/12 6:35 PM
Taku

If you are training to failure on every set of each workout, it wont be long before 3 tomes per week is just too much. You can either alternate Not to failure workouts with to failure workouts to keep volume up a bit higher, or just take more days off. I most often train about 3 x every 2 weeks (taking 3-4 days off betwee hard strength sessions.

TAKU
6/14/12 8:53 PM
cdueck

Thanks, 
I will give it a go 3 times a week for a couple of weeks until my strength starts to come back then I will likely go to one really hard session a week with some body weight stuff thrown in on my off days. 
10/10/12 4:20 PM
Adventure Runner

How is he doing now?
10/11/12 9:35 AM
Taku

Hey Adventure runner,

thanks for checking in. Unfortunately I do not know how he is doing. I was working at another facility when he was my client. I left there due to them not being able to honor my contract. I am now working at another place and have temporarily lost touch with this client.

My guess is that he is not working nearly as hard or effectively as it is difficult to do without supervision.

TAKU

10/11/12 11:35 AM
Adventure Runner

Bummer. Sorry to hear about the drama, Taku. Thanks for the response.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.