UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Strange knee pain

3/16/12 6:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On my left leg i have a history of ITB syndrome that has been recurring for 6 or 7 years now. Over the last few months i've finally got into a good stretching/mobilisation routine that seems to have solved or reduced this issue to a great extent.

However, i've discovered a very strange issue with my left knee when i try and stretch my hamstrings. When stretching my left leg (in general, but especially when lying on my back with my leg straight and elevated) i have a very strong stretching pain over the outside of the fibular head. It's a lot tighter than my hamstrings and prevents me from getting a good stretch on that side sometimes. It's also a very immediate pain. As soon as it's tight, it feels like even a slight stretch will have something popping or tearing. And it doesn't feel at all pleasurable to stretch it, even afterwards when i usually feel a lot better and able to move more freely.

Any ideas what this might be? The closest i could come from my own online searches was it might be a locally trapped nerve.
5/4/12 1:01 AM
snail darter
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The long head of the biceps femoris tendon attaches to the fibular head. So, it can be directly related to tight hamstrings. And, I agree you might have a nerve entrapment.

Try using a foam roller regularly for self-myofascial release.

I'm curious if you've sprained your left ankle a lot.
5/4/12 8:49 AM
martinburke
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.davisandderosa.com/article.php?aid=140

This is the bottom of that Lateral Fascial Line. In the seventh picture titled "Peroneus Longus Tendon", do you see those two blue dots on the bottom of the foot? Step on an umbrella handle, a lacrosse or golf ball or something similar, and just let the ball sink into the tissue at each spot for a minute or two.

Don't worry about finding the exact spots;if it's involved, it'll definitely point itself out to you.:)

Now go back to the third picture called "Retinaculum". Stroke firmly back and forth along the length of those two, to try to put a little more length back into them. They tend to stiffen and adhere to the tendons, restricting their movement and causing the muscle bellies to calcify in self-defense.

And pinch your fingers along the length of the achilles' tendon. Trigger points tend to tack weld the achilles' tendon down to the tissue underneath, and that causes a multitude of reactions elsewhere up and down the chain.

It all hurts, but it works.
5/4/12 9:50 PM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

snail darter - The long head of the biceps femoris tendon attaches to the fibular head. So, it can be directly related to tight hamstrings. And, I agree you might have a nerve entrapment.

Try using a foam roller regularly for self-myofascial release.

I'm curious if you've sprained your left ankle a lot.

I've been using a hockey ball and a foam roller to do self myofascial release, and different types of stretching, over the last few months. Before (looking back at it) i was very tight around the hips and in general. But with everything else loosening up this tightness became more noticeable and has a different feel to it somehow. Getting anywhere near the stretching point is painful and it doesn't "give" at all when i hold it stretched.

For my left ankle, i haven't sprained it a lot, but i did partially tear the ligaments in it years back. My ITB problems only started after that and i've always assumed it had played a part in it.
5/4/12 10:01 PM
HULC

martinburke - http://www.davisandderosa.com/article.php?aid=140

This is the bottom of that Lateral Fascial Line. In the seventh picture titled "Peroneus Longus Tendon", do you see those two blue dots on the bottom of the foot? Step on an umbrella handle, a lacrosse or golf ball or something similar, and just let the ball sink into the tissue at each spot for a minute or two.

Don't worry about finding the exact spots;if it's involved, it'll definitely point itself out to you.:)

Now go back to the third picture called "Retinaculum". Stroke firmly back and forth along the length of those two, to try to put a little more length back into them. They tend to stiffen and adhere to the tendons, restricting their movement and causing the muscle bellies to calcify in self-defense.

And pinch your fingers along the length of the achilles' tendon. Trigger points tend to tack weld the achilles' tendon down to the tissue underneath, and that causes a multitude of reactions elsewhere up and down the chain.

It all hurts, but it works.

Hey thanks.

I tried these out. The Retinaculum didn't really feel like much was happening, the Peroneus longus tendon did feel a bit sensitive near the outside edge of my foot, but not massively painful. The achilles pinching was not pleasant at all.

In general everything i tried was stiffer on my left ankle than my right, but nothing felt massively stiff or painful. Is this in line with what you would expect, or should i continue looking?
5/4/12 10:07 PM
HULC

Just a quick update. A few minutes after i fumbled around with my ankle and it feels more mobile and "good" especially around the tendon. I don't know if it's helped with the knee pain yet, it's 3am here and i don't feel in the mood for sharp pain, but next time i stretched i'll see if it helped.
5/5/12 9:15 AM
martinburke
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for update
6/4/12 4:03 PM
martinburke

Two more things to try. The first is as close to the home version of "I Survived A Session with Martin and Lived To Tell About It(Barely)" as you probably can get:

http://youtu.be/dDWchJ-Td9M

That will let you go on a search-and-destroy mission for anything tacking you down on the lower art of the line we suspect of being the culprit.

For the upper part, check out this vid - it stretches gluteus medius(one of the usual suspects) and that entire fascial mass that incorporates gluteus maximus, the iliotibeal band,the lateral head of the hamstrings and rectus lateralis:

http://youtu.be/1kioUd3ImEA
6/19/12 5:45 PM
HULC

First of all an apology to Martin. I realise you're taking the effort to help me out here and it looks like i've been ignoring it. Unfortunately i was abroad for a little while and had no real access to the web until a few days ago.

I did the stretches you posted above. The second one felt like a decent limbering up, but to be honest it didn't really hit any corners i felt were that tight. I'm following the K-Star stretching program and that seems to be stretching those areas quite nicely.

The first video was a lot more unpleasant, but also left my achilles tendons feeling fantastic. I can now put my fingers around them and get some genuine movement out of them without feeling like i'm going to tear something. :)

I also came across a video analysing running gaits and realised i'm actually an under pronator, especially on my left foot (the leg i have all the troubles with). I'm guessing it's reasonably severe since my last 2 sets of running trainers actually developed small tears where the uppers joined the sole along the outside of the left foot.

The pain in my knee isn't constant, but it's still there when my leg gets into certain positions even with the mobility work i'm doing. So my suspicions about it being a locally trapped nerve are getting stronger.
6/29/12 1:28 PM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FWIW, I'm dealing with the same symptoms/pain you've described with a sprained MCL.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.