UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> OJKD

3/17/12 4:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
aries45
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is this all about? The only JKD school around me is OJKD. Does that mean they don't do Filipino stuff or ground work? Phone Post
3/22/12 3:03 PM
jrrrrr
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you go to the school and see what their syllabus was? Check their website if they have one?
A litle bit research goes along way...
4/4/12 1:32 PM
aries45
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finally talked to the guy. Said they only do what BL did to a certain year. Seems counterintuitive to jkd. No ground no Filipino stuff. Anyone train like this? Experiences? I'm not a jkd guy btw. Phone Post
4/5/12 1:24 AM
cprevost
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds logical. Freeze your training in time and don't innovate because some fast talking movie star did it this way. Why would you want to lock out 40ish years of innovation? Cult of personality junk. I'd stay far away.
4/5/12 12:55 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

C,

C'mon. Nothing good has happened since Bruce passed. The epitome of all martial arts is contined within the first portion of Game of Death. All down hill from there.

Good to see you at PDX:)
4/5/12 2:47 PM
aries45

Thanks. Basically what I thought. Phone Post
4/5/12 4:01 PM
lloydmtz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yet people still long onto a "JKD" forum.
4/5/12 8:25 PM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They?
4/6/12 7:06 AM
fivegates
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi aeries,

You have to remember that BL and his JKD was a philosophy and concepts for the development of a fighting system.

Sadly he passed away, but handed the mantel to Inosanto his trusted training partner and friend. I personally think that Inosanto has directed the concepts of JKD in the same direction that BL Would have done himself and the JKD we see today will continue to develop and evolve with modern techniques and who knows where a 'concept' will go. You have to remember that it is a concept and a fighting system not necessarily a structured martial art... Yes there is a syllabus to follow but that is where BL got to before he passed... And Inosanto developed.

Sorry for the huge thread, what I'm trying to advise is to research the instructor find out his history and who has trained him in the concepts and if you feel it's honest and authentic then start from the bottom, learn BL's concepts then take that and develop and adapt your own martial arts background... Then you'll have truly created your own Jeet Kune Do.

I hope this has help and again sorry for the history lesson ?? Phone Post
4/15/12 12:19 AM
jcblass

cprevost - Sounds logical. Freeze your training in time and don't innovate because some fast talking movie star did it this way. Why would you want to lock out 40ish years of innovation? Cult of personality junk. I'd stay far away.

There should be nothing wrong with sticking to what you know and what you can teach. Why do they have to incorporate silat and kali just to be relevant? There is nothing wrong with learning a solid blend of boxing, Jun Fan kickboxing, and some wing chun (early JKD). This is like discouraging someone from taking boxing classes in the late 70's because it failed to incorporate the "innovative" kickboxing techniques that were all the craze back then. To each their own.

4/26/12 10:10 AM
Majic Sam
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bang-on,jcblass.Probably some great OJKD info/training happening,as Bruce spent a few years there.James Lee's son,Greglon,comes to mind.

4/26/12 10:22 PM
lloydmtz

40 years of innovation? How so? Everyone today is just doing what the "fast talking movie star" did? There's nothing new under the sun. And to take credit for re-doing something that has ALWAYS existed is just some "fast talking marketing".
5/25/12 2:41 PM
WidespreadPanic

Consider that in reality, the only 'future' for a martial artist is either to teach his stuff (usually watered-down) or get into movies.

For BL to quit teaching and get into movies was brilliant. In essence he realized that fighting and MA was a waste of time except as a fake way to pump up your ego.

When people who are big on martial arts and the whole 'masters this and that' go to a BJJ class and are humiliated by a female blue belt and never go back. Their whole art is their ego. And yet despite all their 'philosophizing' they never get that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.