UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Mindmaps for BJJ Instructionals

3/18/12 3:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StLRPh
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/12 3:19 PM

This is something that I've been working on for a while and thought I'd post here in case anyone is interested:
http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/category/mind-maps-2/
3/18/12 3:29 PM
shen
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/12 3:33 PM

That's cool!

I did a sorta similar thing with my jiu jitsu notes, years ago. I covered an entire wall, floor to ceiling, end to end with all my notes; all techniques I knew layed out so I could literally "see" how the BJJ I knew fit together.

Then one day a friend --who also did BJJ-- came over. The expression on his face when he walked in told me he thought I had gone insane, so I put it all back into my notebook. But it helped me a lot -especially with complicated areas like open Guard, where there are so many variables. Great for memory, IMO.

And hey, if you do it on a computer like you, no one will call you crazy. --So keep on keepin' on!
3/18/12 3:36 PM
StLRPh
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I may have to put together a notebook at some point. I do this kind of thing for my work at times and can geek out even more if I have the time.

BTW, I updated this about twice a week so please subscribe and/or check back often.

I also have a facebook page that I use:
https://www.facebook.com/MappingMyBjjJourney
3/18/12 3:40 PM
Giraffe
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is sweet, I am going to start my own!
3/18/12 3:47 PM
shen
1057 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/12 3:49 PM

FWIW, I think it is most beneficial to map out one's OWN jiu-jitsu.

Making maps of other people games or curricula is interesting, but it's really one's own game, that is important. Saulo's book, is basically a commercial version of his own personal notebook.

You gotta figure out how YOU play.

So, DEFINITIVELY make your own notebook. One of the best pieces of unsolicited advice I could give you. Especially for someone like you who clearly likes to organize material.
3/18/12 3:56 PM
ChipW
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool Phone Post
3/18/12 4:23 PM
JLSteckley
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/18/12 4:30 PM
Sugarfoot
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/18/12 4:38 PM
StLRPh

Edited: 03/18/12 4:39 PM
I'm planning on mapping my own game relatively soon as a well to organize my thoughts and also see what I need to improve on (relatively speaking that is, since I need to work on pretty much everything :))
3/18/12 4:41 PM
StLRPh

thanks for the subs, if you have a chance like my Facebook and/or subscribe to the blog. I'm trying to get enough readers to get some review copies instead of having to rely on MMA Vault.
3/18/12 6:20 PM
traneufcisback

pretty good.
3/18/12 11:55 PM
lazlo

Its a good start, but I think you are missing some of the essential character of a mind map. A mind map should aid you in recall of the information. Right no all I see is a bunch of lines coming together. Really its the same information that is conveyed in the table of contents.

What you need to do is organize it and add some other layer of abstraction to get it into you head. If I asked you to draw that from memory I doubt you could. When you can do that, then you really know it.

My first recommendation would be to organize it with the positional hierarchy in mind. Then group like techniques together. Then create some kind of naming or visual mnemonic to link together the groups of techniques so you can reacall them. Then practice recreating the map from memory.

I hope this make sense. I've been using mind maps to learn things, and to do it takes some effort, but that is the point. You invest some creative abstraction to help you learn faster.
3/19/12 5:18 AM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/19/12 6:20 PM
Gianni Whitesocks
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dub Phone Post
3/19/12 11:33 PM
Shinsplint
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a very cool idea. Although my map would look more like a game of pong.

3/20/12 1:09 PM
mrgoodarmbar
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

woah nice! I've got a friend that created a browser gadget that lets you mind map you tube vids... I'll have to post it when I'm at home.
3/20/12 1:48 PM
Richard_SPBJJ
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
3/20/12 3:02 PM
Kneeblock
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome awesome site.  I think the Saulo book breakdown was amazing. I'd love to see more like that.
3/21/12 11:22 AM
StLRPh

Jeff Glover's Deep Half Guard set is up:
http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/mind-map-for-jeff-glovers-deep-half-guard-dvd-set/
3/23/12 2:14 PM
StLRPh

I'd love to see more like that.

Due to a huge number of hits on that post I'll be putting up a map for The Grappler's Manifesto. It will be made using the same format as the JJ University map.
3/23/12 2:29 PM
Kneeblock
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lazlo - Its a good start, but I think you are missing some of the essential character of a mind map. A mind map should aid you in recall of the information. Right no all I see is a bunch of lines coming together. Really its the same information that is conveyed in the table of contents.

What you need to do is organize it and add some other layer of abstraction to get it into you head. If I asked you to draw that from memory I doubt you could. When you can do that, then you really know it.

My first recommendation would be to organize it with the positional hierarchy in mind. Then group like techniques together. Then create some kind of naming or visual mnemonic to link together the groups of techniques so you can reacall them. Then practice recreating the map from memory.

I hope this make sense. I've been using mind maps to learn things, and to do it takes some effort, but that is the point. You invest some creative abstraction to help you learn faster.
Can you elaborate a bit more on this with some examples?

My primary experience with Mind Maps is using them to brainstorm as opposed to organizing ideas for learning. Im interested in learning more about this. Phone Post
3/25/12 8:54 PM
Renzo's Elbow
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Riskson did something like that years ago. hope this like takes you to one of the places you can find his flow charts 1 and 2!

http://syracusejiujitsu.com/rickson-gracie-flow-charts/
3/27/12 11:08 AM
StLRPh

Just finished up with weeks 5 and 6 of the Gracie Barra Fundamentals DVD set
3/27/12 11:46 AM
paw
1562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for laters
3/27/12 11:59 AM
StLRPh

@ Renzo's Elbow - thanks for that. I'll look it over later

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.