UnderGround Forums

NFLGround >> Peyton Manning Picks The Denver Broncos!!!

3/23/12 4:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Slydawg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm betting that The Cheifs DO NOT win the divison. I say the Broncos will win it. If the Bolts or Raiders win it then we call it a draw.

And we bet a blue name? I'm in....

This is a bit risky to make a bet before the season has begun. So many things change and we are months away from pre-season. But I will still make the bet.

3/23/12 7:47 PM
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SiftMyMind -
Waylay - Superbowl contender? They will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. Last year they had a cupcake schedule. They have a much tougher schedule this year. Manning will no doubt upgrade the offense, but their defense was woeful last year. They have done nothing to upgrade it. 9-7 at best.

What's that you say?
Lucky to make the playoffs this year?

Wanna wager a blue name that they don't make the playoffs?

You have got yourself a bet. Phone Post
3/23/12 11:22 PM
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last year we won in spite of Tim Tebow. We have the best running attack in the NFL, and considering our defense was on the field for the whole game I think we played very well. How did Romeo Crennels teams do against the Colts. You all do understand that now, most times Denver will be playing with the lead rather than coming from behind. This means Doom (the best defense end in the division by FAR) and Von Miller (the best OLB in the division BY FAR) will be coming after the QBs more. Denver has a tough schedule on paper right now, but the funny thing about the NFL is 60% of the players switch teams every year so there really is no good way to tell who will do what.

As far as KC, them holding out that Romeo Crennel will be any kind of savior to that city is a joke.
3/23/12 11:38 PM
Doomsday

For KC, it isn't one or two guys. Pioli has built a team. We finally have starters at every position. Granted not all are the "best", but they are starting caliber or better. On top of that, we now have depth at a lot of positions.

We have defense, we have special teams. Getting back Jamaal and Moeaki and adding Winston, Boss, and Hillis, plus a second year for Baldwin, and i'm hopeful for the offense. We haven't done it all in one splash either. This team was built from scratch over the last 6 years.

Tamba Hali absolute owns Ryan Clady, and to say Von Miller or Dumervil is WAY better is a joke. Your forgetting DJ made the pro bowl and Justin Houstin is quickly becoming a solid OLB. Plus Eric Berry will return and that guy is just scary. Toss in Flowers, and think about how good Colquitt is. These guys were all drafted by KC and have good chemistry.

I don't know how you can create an entirely new offense and gel overnight, but we will see how well that works out. Maybe better than it did for Philly's defense? Everybody expects Peyton Manning to come back in top form. Maybe he will, but I doubt it. Should be a fun season.
3/25/12 6:40 AM
Slapnutz
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

peyton going to the bronco's only proves he did it for the money. 96 million for 5 years.

If he would have wanted more superbowl rings, he would have went to the 49ers. they had arguably a top 3 defense last year, resigned all 11 defensive starters and added a couple of young cb's too.

They also signed randy moss, and mario manningham to upgrade their wr core and brought back one of the most explosive kr and pr men in the game in tedd ginn.

I think that the niners could have contended for at least 3 of the next 5 superbowls with manning under center.

now....it proves he's a money grubbing cunt, and I hope he gets his neck broken and ends up wheel chair racing as a cripple against steven hawking
3/25/12 11:40 PM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 03/25/12 11:45 PM
Doomsday - Chiefs win division, one month for each win ahead of Denver. Same deal I had with 303.

Huh?

I don't understand the terms (and I don't know what bet you had with 303).
Please state the terms clearly so I know what they are and I will agree to them.

P.S. You are my buddy but you are going down, bro...lol

3/25/12 11:44 PM
SiftMyMind

Waylay - 
SiftMyMind -
Waylay - Superbowl contender? They will be lucky to make the playoffs this year. Last year they had a cupcake schedule. They have a much tougher schedule this year. Manning will no doubt upgrade the offense, but their defense was woeful last year. They have done nothing to upgrade it. 9-7 at best.

What's that you say?
Lucky to make the playoffs this year?

Wanna wager a blue name that they don't make the playoffs?

You have got yourself a bet.

Just so we are clear:

If Dever wins the division, you buy me a blue name,
If Denver doesn't win the division, I buy you a blue name.

If this is your understanding, then the bet is on!!!!!!!!!!

3/26/12 1:31 AM
Waylay
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SMM, I agree to those terms. I wlll start collecting pics to upload next January with my new blue name. Phone Post
3/26/12 9:32 AM
Slydawg

303 is correct on all but 1 account. I fail to see Denver having the best running attack. The rest fo his words are gold.

Manning may not have had the control or chemistry in San Fran. You have diva's galore there and a controlling coach. Harbough is great but he may not submit to Peyton who is used to running the offense.
3/26/12 11:26 PM
Doomsday

SiftMyMind - 
Doomsday - Chiefs win division, one month for each win ahead of Denver. Same deal I had with 303.

Huh?

Please state the terms clearly so I know what they are and I will agree to them.

What don't you understand?
I say KC wins division. For each win ahead of Denver, you owe me one month of a screen name of my choice. You say Denver wins. So if another 4 Chiefs superstars go down to ACL tears again, then I owe you one month of a screen name of your choice for every game Denver wins more than KC. Comprende?
3/27/12 12:02 PM
SiftMyMind

Doomsday - 
SiftMyMind - 

Huh?

What don't you understand?
I say KC wins division. For each win ahead of Denver, you owe me one month of a screen name of my choice. You say Denver wins. So if another 4 Chiefs superstars go down to ACL tears again, then I owe you one month of a screen name of your choice for every game Denver wins more than KC. Comprende?

One thing I do 'comprende' is that you won't be wearing your regular screen name for a quite a while after next year.

5/22/12 5:30 PM
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doomsday - SMM, The Chiefs win the division. Better team, easier schedule. Cassel is not great, but as a whole the team is.
Denver cannot say the same. Plus Romeo has Mannings number.
He puts up almost Tebow like numbers against RAC. With Hillis, Boss and Winston to add to our Offense, thats trouble for everybody but KC. Gonna be a fun year.

Denver cannot say the same? Really. Keep in mind these are the opinions of the NFL experts, not just me. Obviously Manning is leaps and bounds above Cassel. Our rushing attack is better, though Charles is a better RB, our overall game is better. Our Oline is better. Our receiving corps is better (though Bowe is a stud, but I think DT will have a break out year this year), our TE's are better.

Defensively I think our Dline is better simply because Doom is a better pass rusher than anyone on your team. Do not even come at me with Hali, he is VERY good, but Doom has done it for years at multiple positions. At DE Hali was a non factor. Our LB's I will say are a wash as I would put Miller on the same level as Hali, DJ Williams is, and has been one of the most underrated LBs in the game. Wesley Woodyard is a stud, and Joe Mays is below average but the other guys make it work.

Our corners are better, yes Champ, Tracey Porter, Drayton Florence, and Chris Harris are better than your corners.

You have us at safety.

Our punter and kicker are both better as well.

Javier Arenas is in my opinion on the brink of being one of the best return men in the NFL. So you are better there. It is laughable to say you are better than Denver.

As far as Romeo having Mannings number, I think you are forgetting he was the DC of a New England team that was stacked. And even then Manning gave as good as he got. Your defense has no where NEAR the talent the Pats did. Richard Seymour, Bruschi, Wilfork, Warren, Harrison, Asante Samuel, etc. Ot didn't have much to do with Romeo. How was Romeos record against Manning when he was the coach in Cleveland?

You excitement for the season is good, but I don't see the Chiefs competing with Denver at all this year.
5/22/12 6:38 PM

Slydawg - 303 is correct on all but 1 account. I fail to see Denver having the best running attack. The rest fo his words are gold.

Manning may not have had the control or chemistry in San Fran. You have diva's galore there and a controlling coach. Harbough is great but he may not submit to Peyton who is used to running the offense.

Statictically Denver had the best rushing attack in the NFL last year and EVERy team knew what we were going to do. That makes me say we are the best rushing team in the game.
5/22/12 7:34 PM

Doomsday - For KC, it isn't one or two guys. Pioli has built a team. We finally have starters at every position. Granted not all are the "best", but they are starting caliber or better. On top of that, we now have depth at a lot of positions.

We have defense, we have special teams. Getting back Jamaal and Moeaki and adding Winston, Boss, and Hillis, plus a second year for Baldwin, and i'm hopeful for the offense. We haven't done it all in one splash either. This team was built from scratch over the last 6 years.

Tamba Hali absolute owns Ryan Clady, and to say Von Miller or Dumervil is WAY better is a joke. Your forgetting DJ made the pro bowl and Justin Houstin is quickly becoming a solid OLB. Plus Eric Berry will return and that guy is just scary. Toss in Flowers, and think about how good Colquitt is. These guys were all drafted by KC and have good chemistry.

I don't know how you can create an entirely new offense and gel overnight, but we will see how well that works out. Maybe better than it did for Philly's defense? Everybody expects Peyton Manning to come back in top form. Maybe he will, but I doubt it. Should be a fun season.

Your Hali love is CRAZY, over the last 2 years he has TWO sacks against Denver. Impossible to say they were both on Clady, but ok. 2 sacks, ya he owns him. Lets not forget in 09, or 10, Clady had a major leg injury, but he played through it. Only a fool wouldn't consider Ryan Clady one of the top LTs in the game. Lets not forget the rest of the Oline. The job they did last year with a QB he couldn't consistently complete a pass was nothing short of amazing.

Comparing Hali and Doom, you sure you want to do that. Hali has played 6 years, in 95 games, and has 53.5 sacks. His best 2 seasons were 12, and 14.5 sacks. Doom on the other hand has played for 5 years, in 75 games and has 52.5 sacks. His best 2 years were 17, and 12.5 sacks respectively. Wonderful try on your part to try and make a point, but again, you lose. Give Doom another 20 games and I bet he gets more than one sack. Just for fun, if you take each respective players sacks and divide it by games played, Elvis averages a sack in 70% of the games played, Hali comes in at 56%. Do the math fren, Doom is the better DE. If you add 20 games to Doom and use the 70% average he would have 14 more sacks. So that would put him 13 ahead of Hali at the same point in his career.

Charles is one of the best backs in the league no doubt. But our rushing attack last year was better. Add Manning, Hill, Tamme, Dressen, Stokely and Hillman, to Decker, DT, McGahee, and Moreno and we have more weapons than you. Even if you call it equal, Manning is so far and above better than Cassel our average players will look like stars (see Blair White, Austin Collie, and Jacob Tamme for proof).

As I have mentioned defensively we added Tracey Porter, who isn't the best tackler but I would put him in the top echelon of corners as far as coverage. We also added Drayton Florence who is known for being able to cover the slot as good as anyone. Mix them with Syd'quad Thompson, Cassius Vaughn, and especially Chris Harris and suddenly our corners are deeper than yours.

You have better safties no doubt. Berry is a stud.

Jack Del Rio is one of the best defensive minded coaches in the game. After Dennis Allen got hired to be the HC of Oakland (it was impressive what he did with our defense last year so much so he earned a HC spot), to bring Del Rio in I believe we actually upgraded.

As far as your comment about creating a new offense over night, please study history and look at what Denver did last year. 1-4 with Orton and then McCoy literally put in a new offense overnight with Tebow. In fact McCoy did such a good job creating a new offense he too was interviewing for multiple HC jobs this past year. You really think he is going to have a hard time with Manning if he did it with Tebow? Not to mention Manning is essentially a coach on the field, really this is something I wouldn't be concerned about. Well, if I was you I would be concerned about it, but me on the other hand, this is the furthest worry from my mind.

As far as your Colquitt, we have one too! They are both phenoms. However we have this guy named Prater who can hit FGs on a regular basis from 50+ yards.

Basically what I am saying is your love for your team is messing with any logical thinking you may have.

Couple questions I would be interested in your answer to:

1) There is no doubt Denver is going to score a lot of points this year. Do you really think that KC will be able to play catch up against a Denver defense coached by Jack Del Rio, who has guys like Doom and Miller who will be able to get after Cassel without worrying about the run?

2) How do you plan on stopping Manning? Keep in mind if you don't put enough guys in the box as proof of last year we will run all over you. Bring to many into the box to stop us and Manning will shred you.

3) Do you believe you are a better coached team? John Fox is a legit head coach and led a team to the super bowl. Mike McCoy transformed an offense in one week to match Tim Tebow and lead us to the playoffs. Jack Del Rio as our new DC is not only one of the best defensive minds in the game, but led his team to multiple playoff appearences. Romeo has not had much success as a HC. I believe this year, Denver will be able to out coach any team they come across outside of New England and I think that will be a wash.

I will be waiting for your responses.
5/23/12 2:55 AM
Waylay

Edited: 05/23/12 3:19 AM
Denver may have been 1st in total yards, but total yards is meaningless. It just means you ran a lot. The Broncos were sixth in yards per attempt, which is still excellent, but not the best.

5/23/12 1:35 PM

Waylay - Denver may have been 1st in total yards, but total yards is meaningless. It just means you ran a lot. The Broncos were sixth in yards per attempt, which is still excellent, but not the best.

This is a serious question, but how is being first in total rushing yards meaningless? I think by definition it means that we had the most yards rushing in the NFL, and yes we ran a lot, but every team we played knew we were going to run a lot. It was no secret. So we had the most total rushing yards, and we were playing against defenses that specifically game planned to stop our running game. Now you add Manning to that mix and you have yourself a pretty scary offense.

We all saw how well Manning did in Indy with the likes of Austin Collie, Blair White, Jacob Tamme, Garcon, and Anthony Gonzalez. He was throwing to Marvin Harrison, a prime Stokely, and prime Wayne his whole career. He makes average players look like stars. I think Decker and DT are far better than Collie and Blair White, and we have the other weapons around him to make give him plenty of opportunity to put up huge numbers. Then, when we have the lead, we have McGahee, Moreno, and Hillman to close out the game. Denver is going to be tough to beat.
5/23/12 5:34 PM
Waylay

303 - 
Waylay - Denver may have been 1st in total yards, but total yards is meaningless. It just means you ran a lot. The Broncos were sixth in yards per attempt, which is still excellent, but not the best.

This is a serious question, but how is being first in total rushing yards meaningless? I think by definition it means that we had the most yards rushing in the NFL, and yes we ran a lot, but every team we played knew we were going to run a lot. It was no secret. So we had the most total rushing yards, and we were playing against defenses that specifically game planned to stop our running game. Now you add Manning to that mix and you have yourself a pretty scary offense.

We all saw how well Manning did in Indy with the likes of Austin Collie, Blair White, Jacob Tamme, Garcon, and Anthony Gonzalez. He was throwing to Marvin Harrison, a prime Stokely, and prime Wayne his whole career. He makes average players look like stars. I think Decker and DT are far better than Collie and Blair White, and we have the other weapons around him to make give him plenty of opportunity to put up huge numbers. Then, when we have the lead, we have McGahee, Moreno, and Hillman to close out the game. Denver is going to be tough to beat.

It is meaningless for two reasons

Gross yardage stats are meaningless because they do not tell you how well a team did something, only that they did it an awful lot. Yards per attempt is a better indicator because it shows you how efficient a team was at rushing. The Broncos are still a good rushing team, finishing 6th in that statistic. But not necessarily the best.

It is also meaningless because it is now a passing league. Seven of the top 12 teams in total rush yards missed the playoffs. Two of those teams went 0-1 in the playoffs, and none of them advanced to the Superbowl.

On the flip side, the Patriots finished 2nd in passing and the Giants were 5th. They were 20th and 32nd in rushing respectively. And this is not an anomaly. Of the last ten Superbowl winners, only 3 teams were better rushing teams than passing teams. And those three were backed by much better defenses than the Broncos will be fielding (07 Giants, 05 Steelers, 04 Patriots).

When Manning was throwing to Collie, White, Tamme, Garcon and Gonzalez, he also had Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark on the field. Those guys drew coverage away from the other players. The Broncos do not have any player as good as Harrison, Wayne or Clark was.

It is a passing league. The Broncos will live and die on Manning. Has he recovered fully from his injury? Can he develop the same rapport he had with this Colts superstars? Are the Broncos receivers good enough?

Time will tell. It will sure be exciting to watch either way.
5/24/12 1:45 PM

I think we are agreeing in principle on the rushing discussion however we are looking at it in different ways. Gross yardage in my opinion isn't the end all be all, but in this situation it has to be looked at from a different perspective. In the case of the Broncos last year gross yardage and the fact we were 6th in YPA means a lot. Why? Because every team we played knew what we were going to do. They knew that Tebow wasn't going to torch them going 27-40 for 300+. Every team we played knew what we were going to do. So the fact we were able to accumulate that many yards, and have that good of average says something more than we were simply just a good running team. All the teams basically knew what we were going to do, and we dared them to stop it. Some did, others didn't.

Bottom line, you take a team that is that good at rushing the ball, and then put one of the premier QB's to ever play the game in the mix and that has the potential to be pretty special.

The NFL is now a passing league, but you still have to be able to run the ball, and if you are good at rushing it will only make your air attack that much better.

In another thread I said that Denver does not have a Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, or Dallas Clark. However I would say that our receiving corps as a unit is deeper than what Indy had, and our running game, as we have discussed is superior to what Manning had in Indy. And for Mannings last couple years he really only had Reggie Wayne and Clark, and they were often both injured so he made use of guys like Collie, White, Garcon, etc. I think in Denver he will find throwing to a budding star in DT who is 6'3 and 225lbs and can fly, a 6'3 Decker who catches just about everything pretty nice.
5/24/12 5:10 PM
east
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Peyton's setup in Denver. He has a big vertical threat in Demaryius and a good underneath guy in Decker. Julius Thomas is supposedly on the rise as well.

How's he been slinging the ball in OTA's?
5/24/12 11:26 PM
Waylay

east - I like Peyton's setup in Denver. He has a big vertical threat in Demaryius and a good underneath guy in Decker. Julius Thomas is supposedly on the rise as well.

How's he been slinging the ball in OTA's?

First reports are positive for Bronco fans.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iyqKz2xB31dJaVgVhVy8RTU_J6wQ?docId=616afb20837744909c200c19298e69b3
5/25/12 4:26 PM

Barring any set backs in OTA's or TC Demaryius Thomas will be 100% going into the season and with Manning throwing him the ball he could turn out to be one of the biggest surprises of the upcoming season. I don't think Manning has ever thrown to a WR with his skill set. He has elite speed, size, and leaping ability.

east, you bring up Julius Thomas, and I will tell you he is being talked about here as having the potential to also be pretty special. He is similar to Jimmy Graham in New Orleans in that Thomas was a good college basketball player before making the switch to football. He is fast for a TE, ran a low 4.6, has a 35 inch verticle, and is a great all around athlete. He got injured last year, and Tebow's lack of throwing ability didn't help him, but he has been one of the main guys working with Manning this offseason. He could have a breakout year as well.

For Denver it isn't a matter of IF guys like DT, Decker, Caldwell, Hill, Thomas, Green, Stokely, etc will have a break out year, its a matter of WHICH guys will have a breakout year.
5/28/12 9:37 PM
TheRealJoker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Peyton will fold when faced with Wade's Bulls on Parade.
5/31/12 3:10 AM

TheRealJoker - Peyton will fold when faced with Wade's Bulls on Parade.

Curious as to why you mention that considering that Manning has routinely beaten you guys, With DT, Decker, Bubba Cladwell, Stokelym and Jason Hill we are going to give people real match up problems. The Texans do not have the number of corners its going to take to beat Denver, and say they do make Mannings life tough, that means our rushing attack will have a lot of success. Not to mention our Oline is one of the best in the NFL so if a team is going to get to Manning they are going to have to bring a lot of pressure. Ya you may get to him, but we all know he is capable of seeing the blitz and making teams pay for it.
5/31/12 6:40 AM
TheRealJoker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

303 -
TheRealJoker - Peyton will fold when faced with Wade's Bulls on Parade.

Curious as to why you mention that considering that Manning has routinely beaten you guys, With DT, Decker, Bubba Cladwell, Stokelym and Jason Hill we are going to give people real match up problems. The Texans do not have the number of corners its going to take to beat Denver, and say they do make Mannings life tough, that means our rushing attack will have a lot of success. Not to mention our Oline is one of the best in the NFL so if a team is going to get to Manning they are going to have to bring a lot of pressure. Ya you may get to him, but we all know he is capable of seeing the blitz and making teams pay for it.
Funny how you refuse to acknowledge Peyton hasn't faced the Bulls on Parade. Even a 303 level homer could spot the difference between Wade's defense and previous Texan's defenses... or so I thought Phone Post
8/16/12 12:09 PM

You are just as big of a 'homer' as I am! And no Manning hasn't faced Phillips defense in Houston, but Houston has not faced Manning with our offense either. Should be a good game this year. I know you will deny it, but losing Ryans and Mario will be a huge loss. Regardless of what you believe as a Texan fan you simply do not replace one of the best DE/OLB's in the NFL with anyone and not expect a drop off. Also, Ryans is one of the better MLB/ILBs in the NFL and again, you can say it won't, but that will also affect the Texan defense.

That isn't to say that the Texans will not be good on defense this year because I firmly believe they will.

Another thing people are either forgetting or do not know yet is that Denver is going to run a LOT of no huddle this year especially at home where we are a Mile High and will be able to wear down defenses quickly. We are going to give teams big problems this year because teas are going to have to keep up with us. I do not see very many defenses, if any, that can line up and go punch for punch with us for 4 quarters at a mile above sea level. Add that into the fact that our running game should be even more efficient under Manning as teams will not be able to bring 8 or 9 guys into the box to try to stop us.

I think the Texans are a playoff team, and not just because they play in the worst division in the NFL right now, but because they have done a great job of building a team down there. You have the best 1-2 punch in your RBs in the league, AJ is a top 3 WR in the NFL, and JJ and Cushing are two budding stars in the league without a doubt. The problem is Elway has built this team to win as much as they can over the next 3-4 years in order to get Manning another SB or two.

Offensively you have us a RB, and I will say TE even though I think we are deeper at TE than Houston. Our oline is better, our QB is better, and our receiving corps is better as a whole even though you have one of the top 3 guys in the game.

Defensively it will be hard to compare since we play a hybrid 4-3 and you guys play a 3-4. I would say our defensive line is better with Doom, Ayers, a healthy Ty Warren, the rookie Derek Wolfe, and we are deeper there as well. Houston is better at LB. Von Miller is a star, but DJ is suspended for at least 6 games, and Joe Mays is an average at best MLB. As far as the secondary goes Denver is better. Both Champ and Porter are better than either Joseph or Jackson. Add in Drayton Florence, Chris Harris, and Omar Bolden and DB is one of the deepest positions we have. Safety wise with Mike Adams, Raheem Moore, Jim Leonard, and Quinton Carter we are deeper there as well.

Houston has us in the return game, but Prater and Colquitt are the best kicker/punter combo in the NFL.

We play in early September in Denver so we will see. I can tell you that Schaub's health and toughness will be tested because Von is healthy now, Doom is playing like his normal self, and Derek Wolfe is going to be a absolute stud, in fact Wolfe reminds me of JJ Watt.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.