UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shamrock fires back at White over fighter pay

3/20/12 12:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mr.Negative
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol helio created BJJ, not the UFC. he has zero business in the UFC HOF. are you telling me Helio is more deserving of a spot than Rorion? if not for Rorion how does anyone in the US outside of LA find out about BJJ? Helio sure as shit wasn't doing anything down in Brazil to push BJJ past the gyms he tought out of. his sons are responsible for the rise of BJJ, not him imo.

and yeah, a strong case could be made that the current UFC HOF is more of a "fan club" than a HOF, but then again, the same could be said of the current HOF's for MLB, NBA and the NFL.
3/20/12 12:49 PM
Mr.Negative
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

valetudosuperfight - Negative has a point until he starts to spout off stupid shit about shamrock.

lol thanks, i think. but what "stupid shit" do you think i'm saying about shamrock?
3/20/12 12:50 PM
Jack Skellington
794 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ken Shamrock is kinda sad these days.

He reminds me of the wizard in the Wizard of Oz. Just wheel him out & he'll say anything just to get your attention. He's never seen a camera he didn't like and thats NOT a good thing.
3/20/12 1:35 PM
valetudosuperfight
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched and listened to the whole segment. What he said about TRT resonated with me pretty well. I think hormone therapy should be regulated for people who need it. If Dan Marino could have kept playing well till he was 50 I would have been fine with that.

He's also right that we've had 30 years to try and do something about steroids in sports but we have not.

Shamrock seems to make a distinction between testosterone and natural hormones and things like dbol or deca. I think he should probably learn more about hormone balance before he assumes that it is harmless. Age therapy is also an odd field and likely requires scrutiny and regulation.

The rest he said about dana is spot on. DW is not the UFC he just helps promote it. Tito v. shamrock was one of the greatest rivalries ever even if some of the fighting was a little disappointing as the years went on. Facts are facts: before Shamrock came back the UFC was close to shutting its doors. What the fuck does Shamrock owe Dana?
3/20/12 2:11 PM
BzGrappla

mma is a freakshow sport.. there is a reason why it will never be taken seriously or be as big as NFL.

People who run it.. its like the monster truck rally of sports
3/20/12 2:23 PM
Attila
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ken is a good guy, a pioneer, and has done more the sport than almost anybody on the planet. If not for the huge surge in popularity that followed his first fight with Tito, who knows what would have happened to the UFC. I don't understand why so many people like to bash him.
3/20/12 2:38 PM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Skellington -  Ken Shamrock is kinda sad these days.

He reminds me of the wizard in the Wizard of Oz. Just wheel him out & he'll say anything just to get your attention. He's never seen a camera he didn't like and thats NOT a good thing.

That is not the Ken Shamrock I watched on the MMA Hour yesterday. He was cautious about not just saying anything, and his stories about growing up in group homes and overcoming adversity were inspirational, not sad at all.

How many times must he preface his comments with "my opinion" before you realize he's entitled to one as much as Dana White is entitled to his.
3/20/12 2:46 PM
notsobigmike
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand what Shamrock wants.

UFC fronted him money when he needed it.

He got slot coaching on TUF.

He made MILLIONS of dollars off the two Tito rematches, neither of which were really warranted.

He's in the Hall of Fame.

Fighters are making rock-star money, now. What exactly is his big beef?
3/20/12 2:59 PM
Silverball
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsobigmike - I don't understand what Shamrock wants.

He made MILLIONS of dollars off the two Tito rematches, neither of which were really warranted.

Which rock stars would those be? Ozzy Osbourne? Metallica? There's no way. How about hip hop stars, like Jay Z? Kanye? Is it possible that the UFC is paying fighters THAT much more behind closed doors? There's no way of knowing for sure, but it seems as likely as M1 negotiating a 50/50 split with Zuffa.

3/20/12 3:57 PM
TheKidAintMine
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good points.

What exactly does Shammy want out of all this? Does he want one more fight?
3/20/12 5:11 PM
CindyO

valetudosuperfight - I watched and listened to the whole segment. What he said about TRT resonated with me pretty well. I think hormone therapy should be regulated for people who need it. If Dan Marino could have kept playing well till he was 50 I would have been fine with that.

He's also right that we've had 30 years to try and do something about steroids in sports but we have not.

Shamrock seems to make a distinction between testosterone and natural hormones and things like dbol or deca. I think he should probably learn more about hormone balance before he assumes that it is harmless. Age therapy is also an odd field and likely requires scrutiny and regulation.

The rest he said about dana is spot on. DW is not the UFC he just helps promote it. Tito v. shamrock was one of the greatest rivalries ever even if some of the fighting was a little disappointing as the years went on. Facts are facts: before Shamrock came back the UFC was close to shutting its doors. What the fuck does Shamrock owe Dana?

Close to $200,000=) And retarded interviews like this one are a sure-fire way to make sure DW remembers to collect it.

Cindy
3/20/12 6:40 PM
notsobigmike
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silverball - 

Which rock stars would those be? Ozzy Osbourne? Metallica? There's no way. How about hip hop stars, like Jay Z? Kanye? Is it possible that the UFC is paying fighters THAT much more behind closed doors? There's no way of knowing for sure, but it seems as likely as M1 negotiating a 50/50 split with Zuffa.

If you have any friends trying to make it as a band, ask them how they would feel about making 8 figures a year.

That's close enough to "rock star" money.
3/20/12 7:55 PM
Silverball

notsobigmike - 
Silverball - 

If you have any friends trying to make it as a band, ask them how they would feel about making 8 figures a year.

That's close enough to "rock star" money.

Who's making 8 figures in MMA?
3/20/12 8:00 PM
Calhoon

JohnnyChrist - 
UGCTT_LnPninja - 
RyannVonDoom - 
JohnnyChrist - Whatever happens, I hope this thread doesn't become too disrespectful to a man who has done more for this sport than most.

It will. Anyone who goes against Zuffa will feel their wrath.

Funny how you cannot know who J.Christ was talking about, but assume it was Shammy not Dana. ;-)

OOPS hahaha I meant Ken Shamrock, but I assume most people figured that ;)

lol, Ninja does not have common sense. Most people who read your comment understood perfectly.
3/20/12 8:01 PM
Calhoon

Nice posts Onepunch!
3/20/12 8:05 PM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PJ Benn Fan -

But at the end of the day dana really has done more good than bad and he openly admits he was against TUF so there is at least some ownership and accountability from Dana's standpoint.
Plus dana will admit when hes wrong about certain fighters

Ken on the other hand?
When has ken ever owned up to anything?

His relationship with frank?
Franks fault

His fued with tito?
Tito is a punk

Lol @ Dana owning up to anything.

On Firing jon Fitch for a day? Fitch's fault
On Dana's relationship with Frank Shamrock? Frank is a punk
On Dana's relationship with Tito? Tito is a punk
On not signing certain fighters? They don't want to fight the best
On Bad judging? Don't leave it in the hands of the judges
etc..

The list goes on and on, aside from TUF, I've never seen Dana say he was wrong about anything.
He has done a lot of good for the UFC and for MMA, but he is also an arrogant, cock bastard who most UFC fighters who cut down if they could.

3/20/12 8:08 PM
valetudosuperfight

Makes you sound like an ungrateful bitch. Shamrock would crush you in an interview, but go ahead: keep lobbing your harmless cinder blocks.
3/20/12 8:18 PM
Calhoon

mrwhipple - Dave Meltzer once criticized a documentary on Pro wrestling for rewriting history by saying:

"imagine a documentary on the NBA where the name of Wilt Chamberlain was not even mentioned and where history was recreated to where Michael Jordan claimed to have invented the slam dunk and where the recent commissioner was credited with the idea of putting the NBA on prime-time television."

There is something very unreal about MMA and how so many of its fans seem to actively take part in the rewriting of its history.

It's not only the fans who are rewriting history.
3/20/12 8:19 PM
Marauder28

I don't understand why this continues to be an argument. Ken played a large role in helping to bring the UFC to what it is today. I don't believe anyone will disagree with that. So what does Ken want?

Does he want to fight in the UFC? Sorry, no. I don't care to see that. It would be cruel and inhumane.

Does he want a piece of the action? Sorry, no. It works like every business ever created. If you work for a company and want a piece of future earnings that you feel you will help create, you take an equity stake in lieu of cash payment. He clearly did not.

Open up the books for the world to see? Sorry, no. It is a private company. Only shareholders, and the government, should be allowed to see that. Also, as I understand it, fighters are allowed to bring in auditors to check all the numbers for any event they fight in. So, every fighter has the opportunity to make sure they get their fair share, if a percentage of sales is part of their contract that is.

I respect Ken Shamrock for what he did in the early days. But now, everything he is doing and saying is without merit and class, and very unprofessional.
3/20/12 8:37 PM
valetudosuperfight

Shamrock mentioned that fighters are not allowed to see the numbers and if you had watched the video you would not make the mocking claim that Shamrock is unprofessional.
3/20/12 9:52 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Poor little Ken. Phone Post
3/20/12 10:11 PM
onepunchJD
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
valetudosuperfight - I watched and listened to the whole segment. What he said about TRT resonated with me pretty well. I think hormone therapy should be regulated for people who need it. If Dan Marino could have kept playing well till he was 50 I would have been fine with that.

Close to $200,000=) And retarded interviews like this one are a sure-fire way to make sure DW remembers to collect it.

Cindy

What was retarded about it?

Ken qualified everything he said. He was respectful, and pretty much on the money.
3/20/12 10:16 PM
onepunchJD
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr.Negative -  get this through your head.

helio did not create the UFC.

helio did not create vale tudo.

royce is in the UFC HOF.

Rorion, Art Davie and John Milius, the creators of the UFC, are not in the UFC HOF. Helio has ZERO business in the UFC HOF.

hell, getting back to the focus of the thread, a case could be made that ken has no business in the UFC. considering that he left when things got tough (for more money of course) and didn't return until the money got better and then proceded to suck horribly imo doesn't guarantee oneself a spot in said HOF.

for example, not everyone who was on the 1927 yankees world series team is in the basball HOF. i mean, look at kens last 10-15 years in the sport:

1-4 in the UFC with his only win over a washed up Kimo.
since 2000 (when he came back from the WWF) he's 5-10 with the 5 victories over fighters with a W/L record of 57-96-3. here's the breakdown.

ivey- 30-46
clifton- 6-10
kimo- 10-7-1
adkins- 7-20-1
otsuka- 4-13

so, how again is guy deserving of a spot in the UFC? just because he was one of the original fighters? like i said, if we're going to apply the same logic to all sports, then why isn't the kicker from the 85 bears superbowl team in the NFL HOF? why isn't the 2nd baseman from the 86 mets in the HOF? they all helped their team get to and win the championship, why aren't they given the same honor as some of their teammates?

Ken is not some kicker or second baseman...

He is realistically one of the most important fighters/trainers/ and overall personalities in MMA history.

I think Ken wants a little more credit from Zuffa. They pretty much slapped him in the face in the encyclopedia.

And BTW.. Ken got old, injured, and he is stubborn. But he was kicking Fujitas ass.. and he arguably should have won the Frye fight, or at least a draw. So talking about his record the past few years, is really a low blow.
3/20/12 10:32 PM
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_LnPninja -  This thread is amazing. Anyone who offers anything that does not 100% agree with Ken's stance gets called a n00b and a shill. Pathetic that you "old skool" wannabe fucks cannot even have an intelligent discussion about it, or see BOTH sides of the situation. 

As expected everything has to be taken to the extreme, and everyone who even slightly defends Dana gets attacked. Sad. 

Ken Shamrock (and Frank) said and did some shitty things too  guys. There is a reasson they got blackballed in the encyclopedia (who the fuck really cares about a damn book anyhow). 

LMAO@ the guy who wrote the FRAT. NOt for the FRAT because it was actually very nice, but for claiming that Shammy/Severn should get royalties for every UFC PPV. That is some funny shit.

lol,the shill comments r dana fault.he paid  guys to come on here and speak up for  the ufc and him.
no one would be called a shill if the dumb fuck didnt get caught
3/20/12 10:39 PM
onepunchJD

Calhoon - 
mrwhipple - Dave Meltzer once criticized a documentary on Pro wrestling for rewriting history by saying:

"imagine a documentary on the NBA where the name of Wilt Chamberlain was not even mentioned and where history was recreated to where Michael Jordan claimed to have invented the slam dunk and where the recent commissioner was credited with the idea of putting the NBA on prime-time television."

There is something very unreal about MMA and how so many of its fans seem to actively take part in the rewriting of its history.

It's not only the fans who are rewriting history.

This and This.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.