UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fact: Mike Dolce can get Roy Nelson to 205

3/20/12 10:08 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Though he first landed on our radars as a competitor on TUF 7, fighter/trainer Mike Dolce has become much more famous for The Dolce Diet — the health and nutrition system he employs to help MMA stars like Thiago Alves, Chael Sonnen, and Vitor Belfort hit their weight limits while retaining peak performance on fight-day. Fresh off his wizard-like guidance of Thiago Alves earlier this month, we decided to get the Living Lean author on the phone to find out exactly how he does it.

Jonathan Shrager: Following his fight with Frank Mir, Dana White suggested that Roy Nelson should try to make 205 lbs in an attempt to rejuvenate himself and his career. Roy subsequently claimed that this would require him to lose a limb, but now he says he’ll try to do it if he gets enough Facebook fans. Would you be the man to help Roy shed the belly?

Mike Dolce: Well, I don’t want to use Roy’s name specifically, but when I worked with Rampage, he began his training camp at 255 pounds, and he made 205 pretty easily. Quinton is shorter than Roy, and Roy, at his heaviest, weighs 260 pounds. So, if Rampage can achieve it, and he probably has more muscle, then I think it’s safe to predict that Roy could make 205.

JS: What’s the most drastic cut that you’ve had to help a fighter achieve?

MD: I helped Duane “BANG” Ludwig lose over 40 pounds in less than two weeks to take a short-notice fight against Jim Miller in January 2010. What made that cut even harder is that Duane fought in early December, went on vacation with his family and fully embraced the typical holiday menu. But, Duane is such a strong individual, it is doubtful any other athlete could have done that. I have had other guys lose nearly 60 pounds in less than eight weeks. Of course, health is always the most important factor and we strive to accomplish such goals in the healthiest manner possible.

JS: Would you relish the challenge of working with fighters who are notorious for missing weight such as Paul Daley?

MD: I don’t necessarily relish the challenge of “who can drop the most weight,” but instead embrace the duty to help these guys achieve their goals while maintaining a vibrant state of health. I am first and foremost a longevity advocate and my number one priority is to keep these guys healthy. In my view, the healthier an athlete is, the better the athlete will be able to perform. This is why I employ a whole-foods method combined with intelligent periodization and restorative methods to produce world-class performances. This, I believe, is the future of peak performance.

JS: You work with a lot of Brazilian fighters, and Chael Sonnen. What are your Brazilian clients’ opinions on Chael and his recent remarks about their country? Is Chael as funny behind the scenes when you are working with him on a daily basis as he appears to be on camera?

MD: Chael is a polarizing character, but most of the people I talk to love what he is doing for the sport. He creates excitement outside of the cage and certainly backs it up when he steps inside. Of course, some people don’t like a few of the things he says, but the general consensus is that he is hilarious. In my own experiences with him, Chael has a great sense of humor, a warm heart, and actually, a brilliant mind. I would put him on stage with Howard Stern, John Stewart, and Bill Maher, and have full confidence that Chael would talk circles around those guys.

Read entire interview...
Buy Living Lean book...

3/20/12 10:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BLACK and BLUE Comic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Comic Book, Creator
 Dolce is the most successful post-fighter fighter in MMA history. Fighters need to take note. Smart guy.
3/20/12 10:17 AM
CagePotato
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt, thanks for the link!
3/20/12 10:48 AM
Kirik
1933 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
 Great interview
3/20/12 10:51 AM
The Mouth

Mix6APlix -  Lol at people who didnt know who Roy Nelson was before TUF. Phone Post

3/20/12 10:55 AM
3rdLion
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dolce is great but he can get himself to 205. He needs to cut to 230 himself and then cut from there for fights possibly with the help of Mr Dolce. Phone Post
3/20/12 10:58 AM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

He obviously exaggerates about some of his stories, any dietician or health nut would say it is impossible to lose 40 pounds in 2 weeks unless you are over 400 pounds
3/20/12 11:00 AM
Elrond Hubbard

FACT: india or liberia can get roy nelson to 205.
3/20/12 11:56 AM
superbradman
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More interesting headline would've been "FACT: Mike Dolce will get Roy Nelson to 205 lbs" Phone Post
3/20/12 11:57 AM
12SixElbow
625 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FACT: Roy Nelson can get Roy Nelson to 205.

He chooses not to
3/20/12 12:28 PM
DABJJ BEN

Dolce is nothing special. His talent is really as a marketer and motivator. Any diet will work that has 3 things:

1) Discipline (you don't even need this if you have 2 and 3, but you usually need it to get accomplish 2 and 3).
2) Proper caloric intake.
3) Proper nutrient ratios.

That's it, all the other stuff is pretty much based upon unscientific evidence and anecdotal claims, or is just a tool to fight the hunger of it all (see #1 above). Of course this all assumes you live in a place where you have access to high quality foods (any place in the U.S. and Europe and most other places). Phone Post
3/20/12 12:32 PM
Wovito

BLACK and BLUE Comic -  Dolce is the most successful post-fighter fighter in MMA history.

What about Coture? I think he has been more successful.
3/20/12 12:39 PM
MMAxNate
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DABJJ BEN -
Dolce is nothing special. His talent is really as a marketer and motivator. Any diet will work that has 3 things:

1) Discipline (you don't even need this if you have 2 and 3, but you usually need it to get accomplish 2 and 3).
2) Proper caloric intake.
3) Proper nutrient ratios.

That's it, all the other stuff is pretty much based upon unscientific evidence and anecdotal claims, or is just a tool to fight the hunger of it all (see #1 above). Of course this all assumes you live in a place where you have access to high quality foods (any place in the U.S. and Europe and most other places).

Alves making weight is special.
3/20/12 12:52 PM
DABJJ BEN

Let me rephrase. The Dolce Diet is nothing special. Alves making weight time with Dolce proves absolutely nothing. He has missed weight a lot, but has made weight much more than he has missed even without dolce. This is purely anecdotal, it says nothing about whether the dolce diet is actually the cause. Correlation does not equal causation. Phone Post
3/20/12 1:53 PM
Kirik
1933 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun - He obviously exaggerates about some of his stories, any dietician or health nut would say it is impossible to lose 40 pounds in 2 weeks unless you are over 400 pounds

No disrespect but it is not impossible to cut 40 pounds in two weeks.
3/20/12 1:59 PM
crowbar
821 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/20/12 2:00 PM
"The Dolce Diet is nothing special"

What you might fail to realize is what Mike does after the cut to prepare you for war.The way he replenishes your body back together. 
3/20/12 2:39 PM
dannyglover

I posted this exact interview about 20 hours before this was. Glad to see my post got recognized.
3/20/12 3:29 PM
Leghound
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With as much extra fat that Roy carries around he could do damn near any fad diet and get to 205. Of course til Roy gives a shit it'll never happen
3/20/12 3:33 PM
relow

BLACK and BLUE Comic -  Dolce is the most successful post-fighter fighter in MMA history. Fighters need to take note. Smart guy.

Really? Hyperbole much dude?

I'll give you 10 just off the top of my head:
Couture
Gina
Miletich
Pederneiras
Tompkins (RIP)
Wallid (owns Jungle Fight)
Rafael Cordeiro
Jimmy Smith
Nobuhiko Takada
Tsuyoshi Kosaka
3/20/12 3:38 PM
The Mammoth
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pride Rules -
Kirik - 

No disrespect but it is not impossible to cut 40 pounds in two weeks.

this

anyone can go on an atkins style diet and cut carbs out and lose 10lbs a week for 2 weeks, then cut 20lbs water for weigh in
And then you'll be about as strong as a new born kitten, cramping, disorientated and in absolutely no shape to fight.

Cutting weight is a sport unto it's own.

Dolce is a genius with his 'diet' (to call it a diet is to do it a massive disservice) and making sure the fighters walk in feeling replenished and full of energy with no side effects from the cut.

So yes, any clown can get you to achieve the weight, not many have got the science down like Dolce has. Phone Post
3/20/12 3:44 PM
Synado
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DABJJ BEN - Let me rephrase. The Dolce Diet is nothing special. Alves making weight time with Dolce proves absolutely nothing. He has missed weight a lot, but has made weight much more than he has missed even without dolce. This is purely anecdotal, it says nothing about whether the dolce diet is actually the cause. Correlation does not equal causation. Phone Post

Don't hate.
3/20/12 3:54 PM
fryabusa
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What does Mike Dolce charge?  Does he take a percentage of a fighters winnings or does he just have a flat fee?
3/20/12 4:05 PM
unique_devil
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dolce can get Nelson down to a size he'd be able to fit into the Olsen twins dresses and have breathing room. Phone Post
3/20/12 7:33 PM
swany

This dude is a genius , I remember one fight cut for alves and he said the night before the cut he was still well over the limit ( can't remember the exact number off the top of my head ) and alves was freakin out and , but dolce was actin calm and still getting alves to eat , he dropped most of the weight in his sleep and just had a bit of water to cut stress free on weigh in day
3/20/12 7:36 PM
Calhoon

I wonder how light Roy could realistically get.

I'd say he could make 170 if he really wanted too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.