UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Who are the best striking trainer's in HI.

3/23/12 12:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yakumomutsu
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KyokushinCatch -
yakumomutsu - 
HwnStriker -
KyokushinCatch - Uncle Sam Kanamu (RIP)

Tony Villalon (RIP)

Dana Goodsen (RIP)

Bobby Lowe

Peter Jhun

Charlie Jaiut

KC, i've heard of Jhun, Goodsen, and Lowe...definitely icon insructor's in the striking arts. Not sure who Kanamu, Villalon, and Jaiut are

Jaiut is Uncle Charlie, former Lumpinee champ, used to train guys at Palolo and Kalakaua.

Trained a bunch of fighters, champs, and guys that are coaches today

I thought Jaiut, or "Charlie Jot," was a Rajadamnermn champion. record something like 190 - 10

yak, you're right about him training a bunch of champs and coaches

Sam Kanamu: Kalakaua gym icon. former US Army boxing champion. pure Hawaiian from Moloka'i. honest, in Webster's Dictionary, under 'Aloha,' you could post his picture. well into his 70s, he would take up to a dozen or so young boxers, 2-3 rounds each, on the mitts - often 5 or 6 days a week. then, if you asked him, he would get down on the mat and teach the groundwork of Okazaki (Danzan-Ryu) Jujutsu. old man had skills

Tony Villalon: state cruiser-weight kickboxing champion - trained under Dana Goodsen and Jaiut. blackbelt in Kenpo under Marino Tiwanak, then later the legendary Prof. William Chow. highly-skilled in Eskrima, trained with Frank Mamalias. best kickboxing coach I ever trained with - and I trained with Benny "the Jet" Urquidez

if there's still interest, I'll right about the others later
Your probably right, I just know he was a champ at one of the "big shows" in Thailand lol Phone Post
3/23/12 6:48 PM
The Mat Pimp
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shihan Bobby Lowe passed away September 14, 2011. He was 10th dan Kyokushin-kai.
3/23/12 11:24 PM
FCTV808
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hrm, say i wanted to learn from this bobby lowe legacy, where might one find instruction?

;)
3/23/12 11:33 PM
FCTV808
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol you're still beating everybody's heads in.

the original cro cop high kicker, kyokushincatch.
3/23/12 11:35 PM
jjmtg
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/24/12 12:10 AM
yakumomutsu - 
jahYn808 - Haku Kahoano. Son of Kimo Kahoano. Heard some stories of his Kicking. Beast mode shit. Dude was a little cuckoo though. He single handedly got his brother removed from O-town (Ikaika Kahoano). They sold millions of albums and he should've been part of it.
What's da scoops with the O Town story? Phone Post

Hahahaha, I remember that too.

3/24/12 5:51 AM
FCTV808

it's like the last of the mohicans w/ kc!
3/24/12 6:21 AM
HwnStriker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KC, that was an awesome write-up about LOWE and Kyokushinkai karate.
3/24/12 7:11 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this thread should be titled : "Gracie Waikiki, more than just a mat battle, its a battle of rock hard thrusts to your dome and abdomen."------jimmy knows what im talkin bout

Awesome story and write up btw kc. good chit.

how do some of the new school strikers compare to the older generations? is the level getting higher with the younger generations? we see all the vids of youngsters in highschool fighting on teh webz on teh wesside and i cant help but to think of days of old and far they seems
3/24/12 11:52 AM
DocMason

FCTV808 - Where's the love for Haru Shimanishi?
^This. Phone Post
3/24/12 2:35 PM
HwnStriker

sufferingsuckatash -  this thread should be titled : "Gracie Waikiki, more than just a mat battle, its a battle of rock hard thrusts to your dome and abdomen."------jimmy knows what im talkin bout

Awesome story and write up btw kc. good chit.

how do some of the new school strikers compare to the older generations? is the level getting higher with the younger generations? we see all the vids of youngsters in highschool fighting on teh webz on teh wesside and i cant help but to think of days of old and far they seems

Sufferingsuckatash, I think in comparison between the new striker's and the older generations, lies in their mentality...the new striker's have less respect and loyalty for their teacher's/trainer's, and they train wherever they like. And the older generation striker's are the complete opposite...respectful and more loyal!
3/24/12 2:43 PM
HwnStriker

As far as stand-up technique I personally believe the older generation striker's were way ahead of their time. Because, when your much loyal and respectful to a 'good' striker teacher/trainer, I think your discipline of acquiring techniques, and everything of that striking art is much more appreciated.
3/24/12 9:30 PM
MOB U2
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HwnStriker - As far as stand-up technique I personally believe the older generation striker's were way ahead of their time. Because, when your much loyal and respectful to a 'good' striker teacher/trainer, I think your discipline of acquiring techniques, and everything of that striking art is much more appreciated.

Thread is full of so much win. Don't know where to start commenting here. Aside from KC, the late Tony Villalon also trained BJ Penn's old striking coach Rudy Valentino and O2's Kaleo Kwan. IIRC, Tony was still carrying the Kenpo banner when he started first winning against MT guys. But I'm not sure - that's what Emperado told me (when we asked about Kaju guys fighting MT guys).

As for what you say HwnStriker yeah I agree. They had fewer techniques but I feel they were more craftier with what they had. A lot of younger cats are also about power and offense I notice, instead of having a solid defense and setting things up to avoid being countered post-execution.

Like one thing I don't understand is people's insistence on throwing an outside round kick if the opponent has a solid timing with his step in jab 1-2. A lot of times you'll see a guy throw a power MT round kick only to get fucked up in the face with a standard boxing 1-2 counter. Where was the setup to occupy his line of vision before throwing the round kick? Where's the recovery defense and proper absconding from the counter blow?
3/25/12 1:20 AM
HwnStriker

MOB U2 - 
HwnStriker - As far as stand-up technique I personally believe the older generation striker's were way ahead of their time. Because, when your much loyal and respectful to a 'good' striker teacher/trainer, I think your discipline of acquiring techniques, and everything of that striking art is much more appreciated.

Thread is full of so much win. Don't know where to start commenting here. Aside from KC, the late Tony Villalon also trained BJ Penn's old striking coach Rudy Valentino and O2's Kaleo Kwan. IIRC, Tony was still carrying the Kenpo banner when he started first winning against MT guys. But I'm not sure - that's what Emperado told me (when we asked about Kaju guys fighting MT guys).

As for what you say HwnStriker yeah I agree. They had fewer techniques but I feel they were more craftier with what they had. A lot of younger cats are also about power and offense I notice, instead of having a solid defense and setting things up to avoid being countered post-execution.

Like one thing I don't understand is people's insistence on throwing an outside round kick if the opponent has a solid timing with his step in jab 1-2. A lot of times you'll see a guy throw a power MT round kick only to get fucked up in the face with a standard boxing 1-2 counter. Where was the setup to occupy his line of vision before throwing the round kick? Where's the recovery defense and proper absconding from the counter blow?

Amen MOB U2...also, like I mentioned earlier, I personally believe that the younger generation lack discipline, and that they also lack loyalty to their school and/or instructor's/trainer's. Eventually, it will show in their fighting skills in the ring...not alway's the case and point, it could be also lack of experience.
3/28/12 6:58 AM
MOB U2
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^I guess so. But so much young people think they are a 'FIGHTER' now after they can throw a round kick, do an okay sprawl, and have blue belt jj knowledge. I love it when I see them get eaten up by guys who do simple things to counter them, like a step off stiff jab to counter a superman punch or something like that.

As for Tony, yeah it's too bad I never got to personally meet him and that he died too young.
3/28/12 12:14 PM
JIMMYNAKS
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where's the love for those guys in front of Walgreens on Keeamoku? Those guy have been striking for years! Phone Post
3/28/12 2:22 PM
MOB U2

^Hahaha da TROOF JimmY!

Somebody must've told those guys to straighten their act b/c several years ago, whether it was Kaneohe Walgreens or Kalihi, I used to waive at those guys and they used to be on their fucking cellphones and shit or talking story not paying attention.

Now every morning I pass the same dudes (doesn't matter which Walgreens), or the ones by that Lamborghini dealership on Kapiolani, and they all waive back and stuff.
3/28/12 2:59 PM
HwnStriker

What do these Walgreener's teach?
3/29/12 11:43 PM
JIMMYNAKS
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KyokushinCatch - from the speed I've seen them move, I'd say tai chi...but slower
Haha!! Phone Post
3/30/12 3:17 AM
808dvs
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JIMMYNAKS - Where's the love for those guys in front of Walgreens on Keeamoku? Those guy have been striking for years! Phone Post
Awesome. Phone Post
3/30/12 7:47 PM
HwnStriker

With the mma/ ground game, there are only a few Hawaii striking trainer's who can blend the striking arts with the grappling arts of today. And if you don't have any good knowledge/experience in jujitsu, wrestling, judo, etc. You won't know how toblend the two arts. For example, punching on the ground is another world I think...the different kinds of positional punching: in the guard, side mount, full mount, etc.

That's why, personally, I think Haru Shimanishi, by far is the best there is in Hawaii, when your talking stand-up, and the ground-striking attack!
3/31/12 12:23 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HwnStriker - With the mma/ ground game, there are only a few Hawaii striking trainer's who can blend the striking arts with the grappling arts of today. And if you don't have any good knowledge/experience in jujitsu, wrestling, judo, etc. You won't know how toblend the two arts. For example, punching on the ground is another world I think...the different kinds of positional punching: in the guard, side mount, full mount, etc.

I dunno much about most trainers so I can't opine about who and what, but ^^THIS=TROOFS!

I like the way Relson used to say it...."Dis de spice" Striking on the ground (and for me in the clinch) is about position and pressure, from this the strike done with power and selectivity....if I'm throwing it, it's likely gonna do damage/pain rather than willy-nilly during a grappo. But I'm not a fitah or high-level MMAer/BJJer so JMHO.
4/1/12 10:20 PM
MOB U2

KyokushinCatch - ^ dang auto correct

what teh heck, I'll add 1 more guy:

Timmy Vendetta

kickboxing champion, kenpo blackbelt, and big wave surfer

now, at over 50 years of age, he's taken up extreme skateboarding

Tim is one cool cat. He's the older gen of our kenpo club. I train with his nephew, but his nephew never knew much about his awesome past. And who would know? The guy is a happy cat, not really one you would immediately think of as a fighter. Met him back in like '98-99 at a promotion in Makaha, with GM Adriano Emperado there. Did a demo and whacked my friend in the head with a stick, blood everywhere. Timmy did a demo right after with my teacher, and there was blood as well. Emperado was pleased, saying "Just like the good old days!"

Afterwards when we were just cruising Timmy was like, "Trust me guys. As one haole that lived Waianae all his life this stuff works!"

I run into him now and then, but always in town or at reffing some kickboxing event. Not sure if he actually remembers my name, but all I gotta yell is "MAKAHA!" and he remembers who I am.

As for his martial arts I have no idea! Hahaha! Except that he was a kickboxing champ of his weight class, along with another kickboxing champ of his weight = KyokushinCatch.

4/4/12 8:39 AM
MOB U2

^That would be great man. After I pau some work bs that got me working overtime. The new promo as hefe got people already wanting a mutiny. Hired into preexisting bad situation. But what else is new? Work only gets 'more challenging' b/c I work with more 'challenged' people. At least I get paid what I was supposed to get paid like 4 years ago.

I'll email you. Btw, Timmy's nephew said his skateboarding is pretty damn schaweet.
4/4/12 8:43 AM
MOB U2

Edited: 04/04/12 8:43 AM
^fookin a, site is lagging. thought my post got deleted.
4/13/12 1:29 AM
SesameTako

Can't believe Haru wasn't mentioned Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.