UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> MMA Piracy

3/21/12 12:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Got MMAlk
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is just a quick thought i had. For a decent while now (I'm not counting) I feel like there have been a lot of news on stealing/pirating ufc events and so on and so forth. My question is does this raise eyebrows to the possibility that you can get events for "free" or is the news actually raising eyebrows at the fact that it is possible to get caught?

I personally feel like the majority of people in this forum wouldn't have a clue as to how to stream a UFC or download torrents of the events after the fact (myself possibly included). I think it's a bit harder than people realize and in my opinion any mention of it makes people want to research the possibilities.

All in all, i think the "if you steal our stuff we will sue you and make an example of you" attitude is hurting the UFC instead of scaring people from continuing the same behavior. More people will try to figure out how to get events for free than the will ever be able to sue. Even this post doesn't help them as I'm sure some people will try to research streaming and torrents that haven't ever done so in their lives. Is there anyone else that has an opinion on this. Disagreements are cool too. I just can't see it any other way at the moment. Phone Post
3/21/12 11:47 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The strategy isn't to sue every pirate, it's to sue one pirate and win an award large enough to deter future piracy. That said, there are plenty of underemployed lawyers out there, so the UFC could hire them and sue every pirate if they wanted.
3/21/12 4:16 PM
jbapk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I personally feel like the majority of people in this forum wouldn't have a clue as to how to stream a UFC or download torrents of the events after the fact (myself possibly included). I think it's a bit harder than people realize and in my opinion any mention of it makes people want to research the possibilities."

The actual process is pretty easy once you find a reliable source though I agree there are a lot of people not plugged into internet culture who may not know it's a possibility. News stories are just one way the "meme" of online piracy spreads and would probably spread anyways.

In general I think everybody in the know realizes that old media business plans are going to die but nobody is exactly sure what's going to replace them and how to make money off it and some companies are trying to cling on to the old ways as long as possible. I also think IP laws in general are pretty badly outdated and serve a very small segment of the population. Imho.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.