UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> aggressiveness…

4/7/03 12:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DaRealSunTzu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Apr-03

had a nice long talk with my caoch about how traininging was going… my place on the team… the strengths and weaknesses of the rest of the team… etc… and apparently he has noticed that I lack the aggressiveness that I once had… he questioned if I had the same desire to fight that i once had... and actually i probably have more desire now as compared to than... i noted to him that our training is not the same as it was and especially the fact that most of the team is not as experienced as i was and that may have 'deprogrammed' my aggressiveness... added to the fact that i have more experience now compared to before and have started to wait for openings(which is not the best option) rather than just go in and 'swing wildly'... which was really what i was doing before... in my mind atleast... for reference i would note thechange in disposition that BJ Penn has gone thru as of late... what else would contribute, in general to a loss of aggressiveness? can it be reprogrammed and how? is it really just the competitive flame burning out? Overthinking?
4/7/03 1:53 PM
Sonnon

Have you considered the possibility that you may be maturing as a fighter? Ask yourself the question, "How can this transformation help me, or lend me advantage over adversity?" Coach Sonnon
4/7/03 2:12 PM
DaRealSunTzu

good question… I'll have to think on that one… but I do know how it has hurt me… I had a fight in which the guy was basically in the corner and I didn't(couldn't ?) finish him off… which resulted in him dropping me on my head… my lack of aggression caused me to lose a fight that i was winning... that and the fact he was my first south paw... I'm going to think on that question tho… Thanks…
4/7/03 2:23 PM
Sonnon

Good fighters critique themselves to ascertain the disad's. Great fighters turn changes into advantage.
4/8/03 7:32 PM
Jimmy23
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Apr-03
"… I had a fight in which the guy was basically in the corner and I didn't(couldn't ?) finish him off" would you have had him in that situation if you had foughtthe way you used to? ANd, did you recognize his vulnerabilty , or are you aware of it in retrospect? My advice (which is worth what youre paying for it-nothing) is to begin to use some drills that prime you to be at full aggression when cued. Find a keyword, have youre coach shout it at odd times, and when he does, go back to your old ways , exert a furious burst of aggresion. Try to even have the "body feel" you had then-the same kinesthtic sense. Agression and "feelingout" are viable tactics , and both have a time and a place. My inout isnt meant to overide Scotts, BTW, its just my perspective.
4/9/03 11:05 AM
DaRealSunTzu

Edited: 09-Apr-03
"would you have had him in that situation if you had foughtthe way you used to?" would i have had him backed up?? cant really comment on what if's… I would like to think that I would have taken the fight to him and thus ending the fight that round or won the round and those after… but than again maybe he would have been a better counter fighter and didn't count on me being a good counter fighter... which it seemed i became THAT fight... *shrug* "ANd, did you recognize his vulnerabilty , or are you aware of it in retrospect?" at the time I recognized his backing up… don’t think I saw it as a vulnerability at the time… I do remember being REALLY aware and cautious and confused by the south paw stance… which I still have trouble with in sparring… thanks for the suggestion...
4/21/03 11:58 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-03
Can I put my 2 cents in? Do you have a tape of your fight? What is your opponent doing? Sometimes it is not what you are doing yourself but maybe what he is doing. Are you aggressive in training?
5/1/03 9:31 AM
Chomycia

Edited: 01-May-03
You are maturing as a fighter like Scott said, and now your arousal is less probably because you are either used to what your team does or you can beat all of them. To find away to bring out your aggressiveness you need simply more difficult situations to rise to the challenge. This could be getting tougher sparring partners or manicuring the environment so that the training is not boring and is challenging such as sparring 2 guys at once or other crazy stuff like that. This world has more challenges than we can face the trick is finding them. Coach Chomycia
5/1/03 10:59 AM
DaRealSunTzu

Edited: 01-May-03
u make a good point Coach Chomycia... thanks... JK... i am... but for some reason it didn't transfer to the ring this time... but i think it was due to my being confused by the south paw and not being able to change my game plan... hindsight... u know?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.