UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

7/10/12 12:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stryfe
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - 
Hard to believe that Otani's been at it for 20 years. Makes me feel like an old fuck considering his Jr Heavy classics with Liger and company back in New Japan were what got me into puro back in high school

Makes me feel old as well. I remember when guys like Shinjaro Ohtani and Koji Kanemoto were looked at as the future of NJPW jrs. and it's been awhile since Ohtani has been called a jr.
7/10/12 12:53 AM
grizz632
546 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still remember watching all the big Jr tournaments from back then like the Super J Cup and the J Crown, plus a bunch of comp videos of Liger and Sasuke, and the Skydiving J show, and as blown away as I was with guys like Liger, Sasuke, and Benoit, I was just as impressed with the nondescript guy in the plain black tights, who turned out to be Otani. He was really outstanding in his Jr heavy days.

I always thought Otani's match with Saku at the Skydiving J show was pretty underrated

7/27/12 4:55 PM
Stryfe
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Took a little longer to find than I had hoped

7/27/12 6:53 PM
Tom Lawlor
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tried to copy and paste results from NjpW's last big show but it didn't work on the app.

Nakamura is the new IWGP IC champion, Tanahashi stays the IWGP champ.

I guess it is a step up for the IWGP IC title from Goto to Nakamura. Phone Post
7/27/12 7:45 PM
grizz632
546 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been really busy at work lately, but I'll update all the results tonight.

I'm actually hoping New Japan's thinking was to free up Goto for an IWGP title run, I doubt it though. At least it gives Nakamura something to do. He's been kind of directionless lately Phone Post
7/29/12 2:03 PM
grizz632

OK, update time. We'll start with Dragon Gate. Last update was the run up to the biggest show of the year, The World Pro Wrestling Festival in Kobe. World was last week, here are the results courtesy of iheartdg.com

1. Windows vs. Jimmys: K-ness, Kenichiro Arai, Super Shisa{W}, Shisa BOY (10:04 Yoshitonic) Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Jimmy Kanda, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Naoki Tanizaki{L}
2. Chihiro Tominaga, Super Shenlong III{W} (6:37 School Boy) Kotoka{L}, Rich Swann
3. Evil Ways Calling!: Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa, Atsushi Onita{W} (11:29 Thunder Fire Power Bomb onto Barbed Wire Table) Mondai Ryu, Kzy{L}
4. Open the Brave Gate: Dragon Kid (24:13 Dragonrana) Ricochet
*DK succeeds in his 2nd Defense
5. Open the Twin Gate: YAMATO, Shingo Takagi{W}(21:05 Last Falconry) Jimmy Susumu{L}, Jimmy Kagetora
*The Jimmys fail in their 1st Defense, -akatsuki- become the 22nd Champions
6. Open the Triangle Gate 3 Way: Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, PAC vs. BxB Hulk, Naoki Tanisaki, Cyber Kong vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii, Gamma
-Doi (20:50 V9 Clutch) Gamma
-PAC (25:50 360 Shooting Star Press) Hulk
*W1i succeed in their 5th Defense
7. Open the Dream Gate: CIMA (28:45 Meteora) Akira Tozawa
*CIMA succeeds in his 5th Defense

After the main event, CIMA called PAC out to the ring where every member of the roster said their goodbyes it what was said to be a very emotional scene. With PAC gone to WWE, World-1 International now have to vacate the Open the Triangle Gate titles. The titles will be awarded to the winner of the upcoming Summer Adventure Tag League, which was recently made a trios tournament for this summer. The teams for the tag league are as follows:

-A Block-
Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii, Dragon Kid
Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Naoki Tanizaki
Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk, Naoki Tanisaki
Kenichiro Arai, Super Shisa, Shachihoko BOY

-B Block-
CIMA, Gamma, Magnitude Kishiwada
Jimmy Susumu, Jimmy Kagetora, Jimmy Kanda
Mondai Ryu, Kzy, Cyber Kong
Shingo Takagi, YAMATO, winner of 8/2 Tominaga vs. Shenlong match

CIMA also mentioned that the next Open the Dream Gate challenger will be determined on the 8/2 show, with the winner of the fall in the Open the Twin Gate title match between Shingo/YAMATO and Doi/Yoshino getting the title shot.

Also, last night was the first of the Dragon Gate USA shows for this weekend. It was expected that Johnny Gargano would drop the Open the Freedom Gate title to Tozawa since he was leaving for a WWE developmental deal. That didn't happen, as he successfully defended against Tozawa, then it was announced that he had signed a new 2 year contract with Dragon Gate USA. Interesting turn
7/29/12 2:15 PM
grizz632

As for New Japan, they had been running smaller shows building up to their two bigger ones, 7/22 in Yamagata and 7/29 in Korakuen Hall. Here are the results from both courtesy of puroresufan.com

NJPW, 7/22/12

1. Captain New Japan, Tama Tonga, BUSHI & Maximo beat YOSHI-HASHI, Jado, Gedo & Tomohiro Ishii (7:48) when Captain used the Caribbean Death Grip on Gedo.
2. KUSHIDA beat Low Ki (7:10) with a modified Japanese leg roll clutch hold.
3. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov beat Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask (c) (13:44) when Romero used the Contract Killer on Tiger to become the 33rd champions.
4. Special Elimination Match: Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi beat Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata, Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi (16:46). Makabe threw Taichi over the top rope (9:23). Makabe used a King Kong kneedrop on TAKA (9:39). Archer threw Makabe over the top rope (10:41). Suzuki threw Nagata over the top rope (14:15). Archer threw Devitt over the top rope (15:41). Archer used the Blackout on Taguchi (16:46).
5. IWGP Tag Team Title: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima beat Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka (13:43) when Kojima used a lariat on Iizuka to become the 60th champions (decision match).
6. Special Tag Match: Tetsuya Naito & Karl Anderson beat Kazuchika Okada & Yujiro Takahashi (15:30) when Naito used a Stardust press on Takahashi.
7. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura beat Hirooki Goto (c) (16:50) with the Boma Ye to become the 4th champion.
8. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) beat Masato Tanaka ZERO1 (26:15) with the High Fly Flow (2nd defense).

So Tanahashi retains against a fery game Masato Tanaka and will go into the G-1 Climax as champion. Nakamura takes the IWGP Intercontinental title from Goto, giving him his first singles title since he lost the IWGP Heavyweight title over 2 years ago. The title reign of Liger and Tiger Mask 4 was a short one as the gaijin team of Romero/Kozlov capture the Jr Heavy tag titles, and we finally got a decisive finish in a IWGP tag title match as TenKoji regain their titles in the decision match created after Chaos was stripped for their constant DQ/countout shenanigans.

On to today's big "Last Rebellion" show at Korakuen Hall:

1. Captain New Japan & KUSHIDA beat Jado & Gedo (7:22) when KUSHIDA used a Buzzsaw kick on Gedo.
2. Wataru Inoue, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask beat Ryusuke Taguchi, BUSHI & Tama Tonga (9:09) when Inoue used a German suplex hold on BUSHI.
3. Karl Anderson, MVP, Shelton Benjamin & Rush beat Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi (10:15) when Benjamin used the Paydirt on Taichi.
4. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata beat Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Tomohiro Ishii (10:09) when Nagata used a backdrop hold on Ishii.
5. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Hirooki Goto & Tetsuya Naito beat Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI (17:12) when Naito used a Stardust press on YOSHI-HASHI.
6. Double Main Event I – IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi beat Low Ki (c) (19:30) with a Phoenix splash to become the 30th champion.
7. Double Main Event II – NWA World Historic Middleweight Title: Prince Devitt (c) beat Volador Jr. (13:05) with an avalanche-style Bloody Sunday (2nd defense).

This show was very much about the Jr Heavyweights since the Heavys will be taking center stage on the next tour with the G-1 Climax starting up. Kota Ibushi returns to New Japan to regain the IWGP Jr Heavyweight title he never lost (he had to vacate due to injury) from Low Ki. After the match, KUSHIDA came to the ring to challenge Ibushi
7/29/12 2:32 PM
grizz632

A few other notes from the other promotions:

- KENTA was defeated in his return match by Naomichi Marufuji. Great to see KENTA back though, Noah really needs him. On the same show, Takeshi Morishima successfully retained the GHC Heavyweight title against former champ Go Shiozaki, and the team of Jun Akiyama and Akitoshi Saito lost the GHC Tag Team titles to the TNA team of Magnus and Samoa Joe

- All Japan held it's "Jr. Hyper League" tournament. It was severely lacking in star power compared to New Japan's "Best of the Super Juniors", or even the upcoming Michinoku Pro "Fukomen Mask League", so I won't break down every show, but the finals were held today in the matinee show at Korakuen Hall:

1. SUSHI, Gillette & Andy Wu beat Hikaru Sato, MAZADA & Aegyptus Aerial (10:57) SUSHI over MAZADA with the Tekkamaki
2. Jr. Hyper League - Semi Final: Hiroshi Yamato beat Koji Kanemoto (19:18) with a Cross-Arm Suplex Hold.
3. Jr. Hyper League - Semi Final: Shuji Kondo beat KAI (7:25) with an Inside Cradle.
4. KENSO Nomination Match: Taiyo Kea, Masanobu Fuchi & Masao Inoue beat Akebono, KENSO & Ryota Hama (11:07) Inoue over Hama with an Inside Cradle
5. Suwama & Kaz Hayashi vs. Masayuki Kono & Minoru Tanaka - No Contest (13:22).
6. Special Singles Match: Masakatsu Funaki beat Yuji Nagata (9:38) with the Hybrid Blaster.
7. AJPW World Tag Team Title: Takao Omori & Manabu Soya (c) beat Seiya Sanada & Joe Doering (14:28) Soya over Sanada with the Wild Bomber (1st defense).
8. Jr. Hyper League - Final: Hiroshi Yamato beat Shuji Kondo (14:28) with a Cross-Arm Suplex Hold. Yamato wins the 2012 Jr. Hyper League

- The Zero-1 "Fire Festival" has begun as well. The latest show was yesterday:

1. Mitsuhiro Yoshida & Daichi Hashimoto beat Yoshikazu Yokoyama & Jo Kyung-ho (10:42) Hashimoto over Kyung-ho with a Vertical Drop DDT
2. Ikuto Hidaka & Robbie Eagles beat Craig Classic & Johnny Vandal (11:29) EAgles over Vandal with a Firebird Splash
3. Kohei Sato & KAMIKAZE beat Shito Ueda & James Raideen (15:39) KAMIKAZE over Ueda with a Moonsault Press
4. Special Six Man Tag Match: Atsushi Onita, Masato Tanaka & Ichiro Yaguchi beat Takuya Sugawara, Mineo Fujita & S.P.I (16:29) Onita over Fujita with the Thunder Fire Powerbomb
5. Fire Festival - Block A: Shinjiro Otani [4] beat Ryouji Sai [2] (16:01) with the Spiral Bomb.

- Fire Festival Standings

Block A:
1. Shinjiro Otani [4]
2. Ryouji Sai [2]
-. Go Shiozaki [2]
-. Tomoaki Honma [2]
5. Daichi Hashimoto [0]

Block B:
1. KAMIKAZE [2]
2. Masato Tanaka [1]
-. Kohei Sato [1]
-. Mohammed Yone [1]
-. Daisuke Sekimoto [1]
7/29/12 2:43 PM
Stryfe

I appreciate the updates.

I still would like to see Masato and Tanahashi.

Watched the Dragon Gate card last night and I believe the deal with Gargano was last minute because the weekend was set up for him leaving. Some great matches on that card and I was wondering how the Chuck/Gargano match would've went tonight had Gargano and DGUSA had not come to an agreement. With him resigning it doesn't look good for Taylor.
7/29/12 3:53 PM
grizz632

Tana/Tanaka was a very good match from the reports I read, so I'm looking forward to seeing it as well

And I agree, I don't think they'll put the belt on Taylor right now. If Gargano was going to lose it this weekend, Tozawa would have been the one to do it
7/30/12 10:33 PM
Stryfe

Grizz,

Has the Von Erich boys debut in NOAH yet? The promo I seen they looked real nervous before entering the NOAH Dojo. I couldn't remember when they had their in ring
7/31/12 1:04 AM
grizz632

Yeah, they had their debut on the Korakuen Hall show last week, the show where KENTA returned. They lost to Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste. Also on the current tour, they have had some pretty decent opponents.

7/28: lost to Marufuji and Taiji Ishimori
7/29: lost to Super Crazy and Ricky Marvin

They'll get some real high profile matches on the next tour also

8/9: vs Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone
8/12: vs Mohammed Yone & Taiji Ishimori
8/13: vs Naomichi Marufuji & Taiji Ishimori
8/14: vs Jun Akiyama & Atsushi Aoki
8/15: Singles matches - Ricky Marvin vs. Marshall von Erich, Super Crazy vs. Ross von Erich
8/18: vs Super Crazy & Ricky Marvin
8/19: vs Mohammed Yone & Naomichi Marufuji
8/25: vs Tamon Honda & Kentaro Shiga
8/29: Singles matches - Kotaro Suzuki vs. Ross von Erich, Go Shiozaki vs. Marshall von Erich
8/30: vs Takashi Sugiura & Naomichi Marufuji
7/31/12 11:32 PM
grizz632

The two Pro Wrestling Noah reps got both the wins in the only two Fire Festival matches on Zero-1's card yesterday

Fire Festival - Block B: Mohammed Yone [3] beat KAMIKAZE [2] (11:46) with a Muscle Buster.
Fire Festival - Block A: Go Shiozaki [4] beat Ryouji Sai [2] (20:59) with the Go Flasher.

Block A:
1. Shinjiro Otani [4]
-. Go Shiozaki [4]
3. Ryouji Sai [2]
-. Tomoaki Honma [2]
5. Daichi Hashimoto [0]

Block B:
1. Mohammed Yone [3]
2. KAMIKAZE [2]
3. Masato Tanaka [1]
-. Kohei Sato [1]
-. Daisuke Sekimoto [1]
8/2/12 1:08 PM
batman32314
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By Andrew Kessler

Here's some play by play from New Japan's G1 Climax 22 Night 1 at Korakuen Hall. We're 5 minutes to bell time and it's a packed house and it looks like this tour will be a huge success. I got here 45 minutes before bell time and the only tickets left cost 10,000 yen and I'm planning to come back Friday for Night 2 but the only tickets left are the second most expensive (8,000 yen).

1. We started with an upset as Rush pinned Hirooki Goto in 8:02 with a move where he sets it up like a pedigree but lifts you straight up and drops down into a piledriver. Fun opener and crowd was super heated and shocked at the finish. **3/4

2. Minoru Sizuki pinned Yujiro Takahashi in 8:05 with a package piledriver. Very good sequence of reversals over the last 2 minutes and also good and heated from start to finish. **3/4

3. Another surprise as Karl Anderson pinned Yuji Nagata in 11:28 after a diamond cutter. Some really good near falls and Anderson held his own against one of the best. Crowd likes Anderson but was still surprised at the finish. ***1/4

4. Upset night continues as Lance Archer pinned Togi Makabe in 9:55 with another move I don't know the name of, but it starts off as a razor's edge but with the guy on the back facing the other way and then Archer flips him over the top of his head and on to their own back. Maybe the weakest match of the show so far but still entertaining. **1/2

Intermission now but very good first half and the crowd has been super heated and into everyone all night.

5. Naomichi Marufuji pinned Satoshi Kojima after a frankensteiner in 11:37. Much better than I expected and a lot of good near falls before the frankensteiner finish. ***1/4

6. Kazuchika Okada pinned Hiroyoshi Tenzan in 11:20 after he missed the rainmaker lariat and then the finishing sequence was so complicated (and great) that I can't even remember the final move, but I remember the sequence was great and Okada got the pin. ***1/2

7. Tetsuya Naito pinned Shinsuke Nakamura in 13:39 after a suplex on his head and then a moonsault while Nakamura was still face down after the suplex. I expected this to be the match of the night and it was, although I was expecting 20 minutes and 4 stars plus. ***3/4

8. Hiroshi Tanahashi pinned Shelton Benjamin in 13:54 after a slingblade followed immediately by a frog splash. A very good match but I was expecting more to get the G1 off to a great start. ***1/4

Overall a very good show with no bad matches, the worst being **1/2, and a very heated and passionate crowd. I was disappointed that there wasn't a single **** match on opening night, and it has me thinking twice about going to 5 live shows and buying an iPPV as part of this tournament but I do plan to go to night 2 on Friday as long as it doesn't sell out.

There also wasn't a single match that went 15:00 which meant the show clocked in at 2:25 from beginning to end, which was quick for 8 matches.
8/2/12 1:23 PM
grizz632

Rush over Goto and Archer over Makabe??? Bizzaro New Japan... Phone Post
8/2/12 1:41 PM
ArtWanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn girzz is the hardest working man in show business!
8/2/12 11:50 PM
grizz632

Damn right, I'm the James Brown of this shit!

Results from today's Dragon Gate show at Korakuen Hall courtesy of iheartdg.com

0. Super Shisa{W}, Shisa BOY (7:59 Yoshitonic) K-ness{L}, Kotoka
1. Summer Adventure Tag League 2012 B Block: CIMA{W}, Gamma, Magnitude Kishiwada (10:50 Meteora) Mondai Ryu{L}, Kzy, Cyber Kong
2. Summer Adventure Tag League 2012 B Block -akatsuki- Member Decision Match: Super Shenlong III (5:01 Modified La Magistral) Chihiro Tominaga
3. Open the Owarai Gate Decision Match: Hollywood Stalker Ichikawa (11:33 Safety Style Tiger Suplex Hold) Kenichiro Arai
*AraKen becomes the 17th Champion via Fan Decision
4. Jimmy Kagetora (11:23 Kagenui) Dragon Kid
5. Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii{W} (11:59 Top Rope Nodowa Otoshi) Jimmy Susumu{L}, Jimmy Kanda
6. Summer Adventure Tag League 2012 A Block: Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk, Naoki Tanisaki{W} (10:09 Implant) Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Naoki Tanizaki{L}
7. Open the Twin Gate & CIMA Royale 6: YAMATO{W}, Shingo Takagi (21:17 Gallaria) Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino{L}
*-akatsuki- succeed in their 1st Defense

The Summer Adventure Tag League kicks off with wins for the Mad Blankey A team and the trio from Osaka. Also of note, Super Shenlong wins the decision match and will team with fellow Akatsuki members Shingo and YAMATO in the tag league. YAMATO also gets the next shot at CIMA's Open the Dream Gate title by virtue of his pinfall in the main event. The match was scheduled for September, but YAMATO refused to wait that long and challenged CIMA for the next Korakuen Hall show at the end of August instead. Also interesting was the return of the "Open the Owarai Gate" championship. For those unfamiliar, the Owarai Gate is Dragon Gate's comedy championship. In Owarai Gate title matches, the result of the match is insignificant as the title is decided by fan reaction. Whoever gets more laughs from the crowd is awarded the title. It's been out of action since Rich Swann won it at the end of last year, so it's nice to see it back

- Summer Adventure Tag League Standings

Block A:
1. Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk & Fake Naoki Tanizaki [2]
2. Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii & Dragon Kid
-. Kenichiro Arai, Super Shisa & Shachihoko BOY
4- Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! & Naoki Tanizaki [0]

Block B:
1. CIMA, Magnitude Kishiwada & Gamma [2]
2. Jimmy Susumu, Jimmy Kanda & Jimmy Kagetora
-. Shingo Takagi, YAMATO & Super Shenlong III
4. Cyber Kong, Kzy & Mondai Ryu [0]
8/2/12 11:54 PM
grizz632

Also, Zero-1 held shows both yesterday and today with Fire Festival matches

8/1
Fire Festival - Block B: Masato Tanaka [5] beat Mohammed Yone [3] (15:07) with the Standing D.
Fire Festival - Block A: Tomoaki Honma [3] vs. Go Shiozaki [5] - Time Limit Draw (30:00).
Fire Festival - Block A: Shinjiro Otani [6] beat Daichi Hashimoto [0] (21:48) with the Spiral Bomb.

8/2
Fire Festival - Block B: Daisuke Sekimoto [3] beat Kohei Sato [1] (16:06) with a German Suplex Hold.

Block A:
1. Shinjiro Otani [6]
2. Go Shiozaki [5]
3. Tomoaki Honma [3]
4. Ryouji Sai [2]
5. Daichi Hashimoto [0]

Block B:
1. Masato Tanaka [5]
2. Mohammed Yone [3]
-. Daisuke Sekimoto [3]
4. KAMIKAZE [2]
5. Kohei Sato [1]
8/3/12 2:33 PM
batman32314
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

G-1 Climax day two from Korakuen Hall 8-3

Another big crowd but not quite as big as Night 1, maybe 100 less people. There are definitely some expensive seats still available. There also isn't the same buzz in the crowd that I felt on Night 1.
1. Yujiro Takahashi (1-1, 2 points) pinned Satoshi Kojima (0-2, 0 points) in 8:34 after an Olympic Slam followed by the Suisha Otoshi (which is where Takahashi lifts his opponent up in a Jesse Ventura style backbreaker, but then flips them down face first and he does a sit-out with it. Slightly better than average match. **1/4
2. Rush (2-0, 4 points) pinned Lance Archer (1-1, 2 points) in 7:30 of an ok match. The finish saw Archer hit a moonsault which was the highlight. He then walked around the ring celebrating and when he went back to Rush, Rush small packaged him for the win. He kicked the ropes a couple of times when trying to kick out and the crowd noticed but I think it was unintentional and this was supposed to be a clean pin. **
3. Yuji Nagata (1-1, 2 points) pinned Toru Yano (0-1, 0 points) in 10:01 after a German suplex, an enzuigiri, and a bridging back suplex. **1/4
4. Karl Anderson (2-0, 4 points) pinned Minoru Suzuki (1-1, 2 points) in 12:22. The last 2 minutes were good with Suzuki trying the sleeper and the piledriver each several times but then Anderson reversed a sleeper attempt in to an ace crusher for the win. **1/2
It's intermission now and the first half was uneventful. A lot of the empty seats filled in during the last 2 matches.
5. Shelton Benjamin (1-1, 2 points) surprisingly pinned Naomichi Marufuji (1-1, 2 points) in 7:54. Really, under 8 minutes! Why even book Marufuji for that? That was disappointing. The finishing sequence saw Benjamin leap to the top rope and throw Marufuji all the way across the ring, he then charged across and hit a stinger splash, abd then finished him with paydirt. **3/4
6. MVP (1-0, 2 points) beat Togi Makabe (0-2, 0 points) in 9:30 with the play of the day followed immediately by a crippler cross face and Makabe tapped out. **1/4
I came here based on the last 2 matches thinking they can't miss so I hope they deliver or this was a big waste.
7. Hirooki Goto (1-1, 2 points) pinned Shinsuke Nakamura (0-2, 0 points) in 13:31. This was a great match and delivered. It was better than anything so far on either night but was still probably just short of 4 stars. A lot of reversals near the finish before Goto nailed a lariat and Nakamura landed on his head, and then he hit the shouten kai for the pin. A match worth seeing if you can. ***3/4
8. Tetsuya Naito (2-0, 4 points) pinned Kazuchika Okada (1-1, 2 points) in 21:59 of an excellent match. This match was worth it. The crowd was into everything last night but pretty subdued during the first 6 matches tonight, but they really came alive during the previous match and were on fire here. They both hit every finisher and kicked out of everything except Okada never hit the rainmaker. The finish saw him try it 2 or 3 times but Naito reversed the rainmaker into a spin kick and then went to the top rope for a twisting corkscrew moonsault which he hit perfectly for the pin. Excellent match that had the place going wild. ****1/2.

Andrew Kessler
8/3/12 4:06 PM
grizz632

Would not have guessed Kojima, Makabe, and Nakamura would all be 0-2 right now, and lol at Benjamin going over Marufuji. What a joke Phone Post
8/4/12 10:59 AM
grizz632

Results from day 3 of the G-1 Climax

1. G1 Climax – Block A: Yujiro Takahashi [4] beat Karl Anderson [4] (10:16) with the Tokyo Pimps.
2. G1 Climax – Block A: Shelton Benjamin [4] beat Toru Yano [0] (8:11) with the Paydirt.
3. G1 Climax – Block B: Hirooki Goto [4] beat MVP [2] (9:19) with a modified neck lock.
4. G1 Climax – Block B: Kazuchika Okada [4] beat Rush [4] (9:20) with the Rainmaker.
5. G1 Climax – Block B: Shinsuke Nakamura [2] beat Lance Archer [2] (12:11) with the Boma Ye.
6. G1 Climax – Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan [2] beat Togi Makabe [0] (11:58) with a moonsault press.
7. G1 Climax – Block A: Yuji Nagata [4] beat Naomichi Marufuji [2] (13:04) with a backdrop hold.
8. G1 Climax – Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi [4] beat Satoshi Kojima [0] (17:41) with the High Fly Flow.

Block A:
1. Hiroshi Tanahashi [4]
- Yuji Nagata [4]
- Karl Anderson [4]
- Yujiro Takahashi [4]
- Shelton Benjamin [4]
6. Minoru Suzuki [2]
- Naomichi Marufuji [2]
8. Satoshi Kojima [0]
- Toru Yano [0]

Block B:
1. Hirooki Goto [4]
- Tetsuya Naito [4]
- Kazuchika Okada [4]
- Rush [4]
5. Hiroyoshi Tenzan [2]
- Shinsuke Nakamura [2]
- MVP [2]
- Lance Archer [2]
9. Togi Makabe [0]

Things got back to normal a bit today, though it's still surprising that Makabe and Kojima are winless. Nice showing by Yujiro Takahashi also. I was expecting him to be the whipping boy of that block along with Yano, but he's holding his own so far
8/5/12 5:46 PM
grizz632

Day 4 results from the G-1 Climax

1. G1 Climax – Block A: Yujiro Takahashi [6] beat Yuji Nagata [4] (9:31) with the Tokyo Pimps.
2. G1 Climax – Block B: MVP [4] beat Rush [4] (7:53) with the Irreversible Crisis.
3. G1 Climax – Block B: Lance Archer [4] beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan [2] (10:57) with the Dark Days.
4. G1 Climax – Block A: Karl Anderson [6] beat Shelton Benjamin [4] (9:15) with the Gun Stun.
5. G1 Climax – Block A: Toru Yano [2] beat Minoru Suzuki [2] (8:05) with the Uragasumi.
6. G1 Climax – Block B: Togi Makabe [2] beat Tetsuya Naito [4] (14:10) with a King Kong kneedrop.
7. G1 Climax – Block B: Shinsuke Nakamura [4] beat Kazuchika Okada [4] (16:16) with the Boma Ye.
8. G1 Climax – Block A: Naomichi Marufuji Pro Wrestling NOAH [4] beat Hiroshi Tanahashi [4] (21:29) with the Tiger Frosion.

Makabe gets his first win of the tournament over Naito, Nakamura gets a big win over CHAOS teammate Okada, and a massive win for Marufuji over the reigning IWGP title holder Tanahashi. Marufuji challenged Tana to a title match after the tournament whether he wins it or not. This show was also the first internet PPV for New Japan, though it was only available within Japan this time around. They did a really nice buyrate though, so they may expand it to be available overseas in the future

G-1 Climax Standings

Block A:
1. Yujiro Takahashi [6]
2. Karl Anderson [6]
3. Hiroshi Tanahashi [4]
- Yuji Nagata [4]
- Naomichi Marufuji [4]
- Shelton Benjamin [4]
7. Minoru Suzuki [2]
8. Satoshi Kojima [0]
- Toru Yano [2]

Block B:
1. Hirooki Goto [4]
- Tetsuya Naito [4]
- Shinsuke Nakamura [4]
- Kazuchika Okada [4]
- MVP [4]
- Lance Archer [4]
- Rush [4]
8. Hiroyoshi Tenzan [2]
9. Togi Makabe [2]
8/5/12 6:00 PM
grizz632

The finals of the Zero-1 "Fire Festival" were held today at Korakuen Hall

1. James Raideen, Craig Classic & Jo Kyung-ho beat KAMIKAZE, Jay Coffey & Jason New (11:52) Raideen over KAMIKAZE with a Lariat.
2. Fire Festival - Block A: Ryouji Sai [4] beat Tomoaki Honma [3] (12:16) with the Nachi Waterfall.
3. Fire Festival - Block B: Masato Tanaka [7] beat Daisuke Sekimoto [5] (26:42) with the Sliding D.
4. Fire Festival - Block A: Go Shiozaki [7] beat Shinjiro Otani [6] (17:23) with a Strong Arm Lariat.
5. Fire Festival - Block B: Kohei Sato [3] beat Mohammed Yone [3] (11:49) with a German Suplex Hold.
6. NWA United National Heavyweight Title: Yusaku Obata beat Shito Ueda (c) (12:06) with a Modified Codebreaker - New Champion.
7. ZERO1 vs. ZERO64: Ikuto Hidaka, Daichi Hashimoto & Robbie Eagles beat Takuya Sugawara, Mineo Fujita & Johnny Vandal (13:51) Hashimoto over Vandal with a Vertical Drop DDT.
8. Fire Festival - Final: Masato Tanaka beat Go Shiozaki (20:48) with the Sliding D.

Block A:
1. Go Shiozaki [7]
2. Shinjiro Otani [6]
3. Ryouji Sai [4]
4. Tomoaki Honma [3]
5. Daichi Hashimoto [0]

Block B:
1. Masato Tanaka [7]
2. Daisuke Sekimoto [5]
3. Kohei Sato [3]
4. Mohammed Yone [3]
5. KAMIKAZE [2]

So Masato Tanaka wins his 4th Fire Festival, and his first since he won 3 consecutive titles from 2006-2008. The win ties him with Shinjiro Otani for the most Fire Festival titles ever
8/5/12 6:13 PM
grizz632

The Dragon Gate "Summer Adventure Tag League" continued this weekend as well. Results courtesy of iheartdg.com

8/4/2012 Aichi, Tsushima Bunka Hall - 550 Attendance
1. Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk{W} (13:30 E.V.O) CIMA, Super Shisa{L}
2. Naruki Doi (10:41 Inside Cradle) Gamma
3. Summer Adventure Tag League 2012 B Block: Jimmy Susumu, Jimmy Kagetora, Jimmy Kanda{W} (10:51 Gekokujoh Elbow) YAMATO, Shingo Takagi, Super Shenlong III
4. Masato Yoshino (12:28 Lightning Spiral) Kzy
5. Summer Adventure Tag League 2012 A Block: Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii{W}, Dragon Kid (19:52 Top Rope Choke Slam) Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Naoki Tanizaki{L}

8/5/2012 Hyogo, Kobe Sambo Hall - 1100 Attendance
0. Ryo "Jimmy" Saito{W}, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! (7:28 Dragon Suplex Hold) Mondai Ryu{L}, Cyber Kong
1. Summer Adventure Tag League 2012 A Block: Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii{W}, Dragon Kid (14:49 Top Rope Choke Slam) Kenichiro Arai, Super Shisa, Shachihoko BOY{L}
2. Jimmy Susumu (8:31 Mugen) Kotoka
3. Naoki Tanisaki (10:23 Implant) Naoki Tanizaki
4. Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk{W (16:28 First Flash) Naruki Doi{L}, Masato Yoshino
5. Summer Adventure Tag League 2012 B Block: CIMA{W}, Gamma, Magnitude Kishiwada (17:30 Meteora) YAMATO, Shingo Takagi, Super Shenlong III{L}

Block A:
1. Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii & Dragon Kid [4]
2. Akira Tozawa, BxB Hulk & Fake Naoki Tanizaki [2]
3. Kenichiro Arai, Super Shisa & Shachihoko BOY [0]
- Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! & Naoki Tanizaki [0]

Block B:
1. CIMA, Magnitude Kishiwada & Gamma [4]
2. Jimmy Susumu, Jimmy Kanda & Jimmy Kagetora [2]
3. Shingo Takagi, YAMATO & Super Shenlong III [0]
-. Cyber Kong, Kzy & Mondai Ryu [0]
8/6/12 7:47 PM
grizz632

And now, what everyone's been waiting for...Joshi News!

At their Korakuen Hall show yesterday, it was announced that STARDOM will be running a show at Sumo Hall next April. Sumo Hall seats between 8,000-11,000 for wrestling, and no joshi company has run it since 2007. It should be noted that STARDOM has only been around for less than two years, and the most they've ever drawn in a single show was around 1,300 at Korakuen Hall, so stepping up to a big building like Sumo Hall is a big time move, and pretty risky. They'll no doubt have some big name guest stars on the card, but it's going to be interesting to see how they build up to the show. The last joshi show there that I mentioned drew terribly, so hopefully they can do well for themselves and help joshi take a big step back towards the big time

And, if anyone is actually still reading after that FRAT, here's the results from the STARDOM show yesterday courtesy of purolove

1. Natsuki*Taiyo beat Io Shirai (12:21) with the Taiyo-chan*Bomb.
2. Eri Susa & Yuuri Haruka beat Mayu Iwatani & Natsumi Showzuki (10:06) Susa beat Iwatani with the Backblow.
3. Kairi Hojo & Yuhi beat Saki Kashima & Act Yasukawa (10:09) Hojo over Yasukawa with the Ikari.
4. Hiroyo Matsumoto beat Miho Wakizawa (10:06) with a Liger Bomb.
5. Natsuki*Taiyo beat Kyoko Kimura (12:22) with the Qomolangma.
6. World of Stardom Title: Nanae Takahashi (c) beat Yoshiko (20:04) with the One Second EX (4th defense).
7. Wonder of Stardom Title: Yuzuki Aikawa (c) beat Yoko Bito (12:29) with a Tiger Suplex Hold (4th defense).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.