UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

12/15/12 10:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stryfe
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice write up Grizz.
12/16/12 5:48 PM
grizz632
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

armbarheelhook - 
grizz632 - It's on Sunday at the Rings show
cool.. thanks.! i gotta watch it for nostalgia sake. great wars throughout the years from both of them. Phone Post

Here's a great writeup on the Volk Han/Funaki match today

http://www.asianmma.com/?p=4736

12/20/12 12:02 AM
grizz632
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And it was made official today, Jun Akiyama, Go Shiozaki, Kotaro Suzuki, Atsushi Aoki and Yoshinobu Kanemaru will all be leaving Pro Wrestling Noah at the end of the year to become freelancers. Their final Noah matches will be Christmas Eve at Differ Ariake. Pretty big loss for Noah. That basically kills the SAT faction, which basically leaves the entire remaining roster split between NO MERCY and BRAVE, so expect the NO MERCY vs BRAVE feud to dominate the early part of next year while they regroup. They're honestly going to need some big time help to survive this next year. Unfortunately for them, I don't think there's as much out there that can make the difference like there was for All Japan to draw on when Noah split off back in 2000.

RIP June Carter Noah?? Perhaps...
12/20/12 12:04 AM
shootfightermike
740 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ah

12/20/12 8:48 AM
Stryfe
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It'll be interesting to see
12/20/12 10:02 AM
TheZa
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never watched Japanese wrestling, but reading what you guys write about it makes it seem badass.  Where do I start?  Just google shit?

12/20/12 11:12 AM
grizz632

TheZa -

I have never watched Japanese wrestling, but reading what you guys write about it makes it seem badass.  Where do I start?  Just google shit?

Check out Tom Lawlor's "real match of the year" thread and check those matches out. As for what companies to seek out, either myself or others here can probably give some other recommendations on where to start or what to check out. What do you watch now? Any particular wrestlers or style you prefer? New Japan is probably the most accessible and best place to start for newcomers. I'd say find this year's January 4th Dome show and give that a watch. Phone Post
12/20/12 12:13 PM
armbarheelhook
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 -
armbarheelhook - 
grizz632 - It's on Sunday at the Rings show
cool.. thanks.! i gotta watch it for nostalgia sake. great wars throughout the years from both of them. Phone Post

Here's a great writeup on the Volk Han/Funaki match today

http://www.asianmma.com/?p=4736

seemed like it was a nice sendoff... Phone Post
12/21/12 9:47 PM
bigironmike79
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like watching the matches, but I would like to know a lil bit about what's goin on. Do any of these videoS have subtitles? How do u tell who is having an affair with who? Do they have a shitty Michel cole announcer that everybody hates? How do u guys keep up with it if u can't understand any of the words? And how to these promotions rank?who would be the Japanese counterparts of wwe, TNA, or roh and indys? Sorry for the long post. Just trying to get into this Japanese stuff. Just don't know how. Phone Post
12/21/12 11:01 PM
TheBearStare
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

New japan prowrestling is top dog
All japan pw and PW noah are distantly behind
Japan also has a plethora of indy feds with different styles of wrestling that could also entertain your needs. Japan for the most part isnt crazy with storylines like usa and it tends to be easy to follow. Just watch matches as they become available and check out message boards such as grizz's posts. Japanese wrestling is amazing and there is really something for everyone as long as you actually like wrestling Phone Post
12/22/12 12:50 AM
grizz632

TheBearStare -  New japan prowrestling is top dog
All japan pw and PW noah are distantly behind
Japan also has a plethora of indy feds with different styles of wrestling that could also entertain your needs. Japan for the most part isnt crazy with storylines like usa and it tends to be easy to follow. Just watch matches as they become available and check out message boards such as grizz's posts. Japanese wrestling is amazing and there is really something for everyone as long as you actually like wrestling Phone Post

This about covers it. New Japan is the clear #1, and I'd say All Japan has worked their way back to being the #2 again. The way Noah has fallen off, I'd probably drop them behind Dragon Gate right now, and DDT is priming themselves to jump them as #4 but they're not there yet. Storyline wise, it's fairly straight forward stuff. There's no backstage vignettes, not much in the way of dramatic story, just good old fashioned face vs heel, faction vs faction, or champion vs challenger. There are plenty of news sites and write ups to fill in the gaps if something doesn't make sense
12/22/12 12:53 PM
Stryfe

I'm trying to make my plans to watch the NJPW Dome show. Do you guys have the link that has shown their last two PPVs? The feed was nice and I just have to figure what time it's showing here EST time.
12/22/12 3:17 PM
grizz632

Here's the link to the iPPV

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/njpw1972

The show starts at 5pm JST on January 4th, which would be 3am January 4th EST, 2am CST for me.  I forgot to request the 4th off at work, better get that in...

12/22/12 3:32 PM
grizz632

Edited: 12/22/12 3:53 PM
Kind of an interesting note from today's New Japan show. Yano Toru made an announcement that he was going to bring a mystery partner to his scheduled 6 man tag match at the Tokyo Dome. He then proceeded to ruin the mystery by announcing that it was going to be Bob Sapp. It looks like it will be an 8 man tag now, as Manabu Nakanishi has hinted at finding a new partner to join him, Strongman, and MVP to face Chaos and Sapp, and it could potentially be...Akebono. Purely speculation at this point though

puroresufan.com also mentioned that New Japan Chairman Takaaki Kidani is considering bringing more former MMA fighters to New Japan in 2013, publicly backing Laugher 7 and opposing New Japan President Sugabayashi. Kidani has said he will second Saku for his match against Nakamura at the Dome, to which Nakamura warned him not to get involved or it will become very dangerous for him. Meltzer is reporting that we may see Kidani as the leader of an nWo- MMA heel group lead by, of all people, Antonio Inoki. Anyone that remembers Inoki's last foray into bringing MMA stars to New Japan can only hope this doesn't end up the same way. New Japan has done tremendously to undo the damage that era did to the New Japan product. I think they'll have more sense than to repeat that debacle
12/23/12 12:00 AM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is dogleg still putting on shows ? If so would you mind giving a write up/results ? If they aren't, why did they fold ? Years ago, my buddy got home from a dogleg show in Japan a co worker took him to and said it was the most fascinating thing he had seen Phone Post
12/23/12 1:24 AM
grizz632

I'm not sure if they are. The only thing I've ever seen about Dog Legs is a news story a year or two ago and they were still going, so I assume they are still around. What I saw seemed more like MMA than pro wrestling, and honestly the whole concept of it seemed really wrong to me so I never really sought it out.
12/23/12 3:06 AM
Stryfe

Thanks for the link.

I know NJPW is not big on matches that aren't traditional matches. The triple threat is a rarity there and other than this upcoming triple threat and Great Nita barbwire which was horrible IMO, what other gimmick matches have they had?
12/23/12 3:26 AM
grizz632

You're right, they don't do them often, and when they do they seem to be at the Dome. They've done 3-way tags for the IWGP tag titles before, Iizuka and Nagata had a dog collar match at the Dome show a few years ago, I vaguely remember an amateur rules wrestling match between Nagata and his brother (I'll have to do some digging on that one). Other than that, they don't do it much. The match at this year's Dome show between Makabe and Shibata was supposed to be a deathmatch, but Makabe refused, saying it would be too easy to beat Shibata in that type of match
12/23/12 3:29 AM
grizz632

Found it, it was at the 2005 Dome show, Yuji Nagata defeated Katsuhiko Nagata 15 points to 11 points in an amateur rules exhibition match
12/23/12 7:37 AM
grady
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/23/12 7:39 AM
Brock had a triple threat match with Chono and Fujita for the IWGP title several years back.
12/23/12 7:43 AM
grady
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - I'm not sure if they are. The only thing I've ever seen about Dog Legs is a news story a year or two ago and they were still going, so I assume they are still around. What I saw seemed more like MMA than pro wrestling, and honestly the whole concept of it seemed really wrong to me so I never really sought it out.

Doglegs still runs shows here and there.

they have an upcoming show at kitagawa town hall in march.
12/23/12 7:54 AM
AristidesBrito

Grady, do you have any idea where I can get recaps/videos of past,events ? A friend of mine works with the mentally disabled, and has used a few video clips off of YouTube to inspire some of her students, they seem to really enjoy it. Phone Post
12/23/12 3:53 PM
grady

Edited: 12/23/12 3:53 PM
That is interesting. A lot of disabled people in Japan have been inspired and become fans of Doglegs as well.

They are currently working on a documentary... http://doglegsmovie.com/ja/

here is a clip, in english, talking about the concept of the promotion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uEpdOMwTSyM

i used to follow the promotion a bit several years ago when i did puroresu reviews.

there isn't too much in the way of recent material i've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%E3%83%89%E3%83%83%E3%82%B0%E3%83%AC%E3%83%83%E3%82%B0%E3%82%B9&oq=%E3%83%89%E3%83%83%E3%82%B0%E3%83%AC%E3%83%83%E3%82%B0%E3%82%B9&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3..0.305222.305222.0.307767.1.1.0.0.0.0.131.131.0j1.1.0...0.0...1ac.2.L55cqTTYQOM

bunch of stuff in there.
12/24/12 12:15 AM
grizz632

Fairly eventful weekend to close out 2012. Starting with New Japan, they held their last show going into the January 4th Wrestle Kingdom 7 show

1. Tiger Mask & BUSHI beat Hiromu Takahashi & Takaaki Watanabe (6:53) when BUSHI used a Firebird splash on Takahashi.
2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Manabu Nakanishi, Wataru Inoue & Captain New Japan beat Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka, Yujiro Takahashi, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado (10:57) when Yano was DQ'd.
3. Road to TOKYO DOME 1: Hirooki Goto beat TAKA Michinoku (6:32) with the Shouten Kai.
4. Road to TOKYO DOME 2: Shinsuke Nakamura beat KUSHIDA (9:02) with the Boma Ye.
5. Road to TOKYO DOME 3: Togi Makabe beat Tomohiro Ishii (12:15) with a King Kong kneedrop.
6. Road to TOKYO DOME 4: Minoru Suzuki beat Jushin Thunder Liger (11:16) with a Gotch- piledriver.
7. Road to TOKYO DOME 5: Yuji Nagata beat Taichi (6:22) with a backdrop hold.
8. Road to TOKYO DOME 6: Kazuchika Okada beat Ryusuke Taguchi (9:51) with the Rainmaker.
9. Road to TOKYO DOME 7: Hiroshi Tanahashi beat Gedo (14:55) with the High Fly Flow.

No real surprises here, although Akebono did show up to assist Nakanishi's team in their tag match, so it looks like him and Sapp will be added to the match at the Dome. That show should be worth every penny of the $35 iPPV cost, looking forward to it
12/24/12 12:25 AM
grizz632

Edited: 12/24/12 12:26 AM
Pro Wrestling Noah held two shows this weekend, with their last show of the year coming tomorrow at Differ Ariake. After all 5 of the wrestlers who are leaving at the end of the year lost their matches at the previous Noah show, some of them got victories this weekend on their farewell tour, most notable being Akiyama going over Marufuji today

12/22
1. Masao Inoue beat Genba Hirayanagi (9:47) with a Front Cradle.
2. Nanjo Hayato beat Kentaro Shiga (11:22) with a La Magistral.
3. Kotaro Suzuki beat Akito (13:36) with the Blue Destiny.
4. Go Shiozaki & Yoshinari Ogawa beat Mohammed Yone & Ricky Marvin (15:28) Shiozaki over Marvin with the Strong Arm Lariat.
5. BRAVE vs S.A.T: Takeshi Morishima & Taiji Ishimori beat Jun Akiyama & Atsushi Aoki (15:37) Morishima over Aoki with a Backdrop Suplex.
6. BRAVE vs NO MERCY: KENTA, Maybach Taniguchi & Yoshinobu Kanemaru beat Takashi Sugiura, Naomichi Marufuji & Atsushi Kotoge (21:32) Taniguchi over Kotoge with the Maybach Bomb.

12/23
1. Yoshinobu Kanemaru beat Atsushi Kotoge (10:17) with the Touchout.
2. Yoshinari Ogawa beat Atsushi Aoki (9:58) with an Armlock Cutback.
3. Kotaro Suzuki vs. Taiji Ishimori - Time Limit Draw (20:00).
4. Maybach Taniguchi beat Mohammed Yone (8:45) with the Maybach Bomb.
5. Takeshi Morishima beat Genba Hirayanagi (3:56) with an Backdrop Suplex.
6. KENTA beat Ricky Marvin (3:36) with the Go 2 Sleep.
7. Takashi Sugiura beat Go Shiozaki (17:43) with an Olympic Slam.
8. Jun Akiyama beat Naomichi Marufuji (21:40) by Referee Stop (Front Necklock).

The matches at tomorrow's final show of the year will be determined by lottery

NOAH "NOAHFUL GIFT IN DIFFER 2012 VOL. 2", 24.12.2012 (G+)
Tokyo Differ Ariake

1. X vs. X
2. X vs. X
3. X vs. X
4. X vs. X
5. Yoshinari Ogawa, X & X vs. X, X & X
6. Takashi Sugiura & Naomichi Marufuji vs. X & X
7. Takeshi Morishima vs. X

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.