UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

1/21/13 10:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very interesting story from Diamond Ring, which is the former Kensuke Office promotion run by Kensuke Sasaki. It was announced recently that "Brother" YASSHI, formerly of Dragon Gate and All Japan, was ending his recent retirement and returning to the ring in Diamond Ring. YASSHI was also a former member of the Voodoo Murders stable in All Japan that was dismantled in the wake of the Taru/Hirai scandel (see my post at the end of page 1 of this thread for a brief, crappy summary of what happened in that incident). A while back, YASSHI made an appearance wearing a Voodoo Murders shirt, which was a bit odd considering the whole Taru/Hirai incident and the aftermath of it. Fast forward to today, where a press conference was held by none other than Taru, who announced that he wants to return to wrestling, and that he was reforming Voodoo Murders full time.

The founding members of this new incarnation of VM will be Taru, "brother" YASSHI, and young freelancer Kengo Nishimura. Taru did actually address the Hirai situation though. Apparently he has been spending time with Hirai and his family, and Hirai is in rehab and improving drastically. Not sure what to make of this whole thing, but I've always had a soft spot for YASSHI so I'm looking forward to him coming back.
1/25/13 12:49 AM
grizz632
638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Noah has announced the details for Kenta Kobashi's retirement show. The show will be held on May 11th at Budokan Hall. Kobashi said he'll be working out from February thru April to be fit for the show. No word on what the final match will be quite yet

1/25/13 1:21 AM
grizz632

Edited: 01/25/13 1:22 AM
Lots of other interesting news from Japan the last few dsys as well. Starting with New Japan, Chairman Takaaki Kidani has officially resigned his position with New Japan. He will continue on with New Japan's parent company Bushiroad, but he will play no further role with New Japan. That pretty well puts the nail in the coffin of Laugher7, so despite putting on one of the most entertaining matches I've seen in a long time, no more Sakuraba in NJPW. New Japan also announced that 2013 will see them trying to increase their profile overseas, including opening an English language version of their official website and continuing on with the iPPVs. Some dates and locations for their bigger shows of the year were also announced. Most will probably be iPPVs I would think, though probably only the final day of the G-1 Climax would be.

- 4/7 "INVASION ATTACK" @ Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan
- 5/3 "WRESTLING DONTAKU 2013? @ Fukuoka International Center
- 8/10 "G1 CLIMAX 23? @ Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan
- 8/11 "G1 CLIMAX 23? @ Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan
- 1/4/14 "WRESTLE KINGDOM VIII" @ Tokyo Dome

Meanwhile, in All Japan, the entire group that left Pro Wrestling Noah at the end of last year is expected to appear at this weekends All Japan show. Akiyama received permission from Kenta Kobashi to revive his old "Burning" stable from Noah, and will be appearing with All Japan as a stable over at least their February and March tours

Between the appearance from "Burning", the three title defenses, and the Ric Flair match it's going to be a big show for All Japan

AJPW, 1/26/2013
Ota Ward Gymnsium
1. All Asia Tag Team Title: Koji Kanemoto NJPW & Minoru Tanaka (c) vs. Hiroshi Yamato & Hikaru Sato
2. BJW World Strong Heavyweight Title: Manabu Soya (c) vs. Yoshihito Sasaki
3. Special Six Man Tag Match: Takao Omori, Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue vs. Masahiro Chono, Suwama & Joe Doering
4. Special Tag Match: Keiji Muto & Ric Flair vs. Tatsumu Fujinami Dradition & Seiya Sanada
5. Triple Crown: Masakatsu Funaki (c) vs. Akebono
1/26/13 12:10 AM
grizz632

A bit of a self indulgent side note, but some of the other puro fans around may be interested and, since I have nowhere else to show them off, here you go. Besides watching way too much puro, I also collect puro memorabilia and got some really amazing stuff today from Japan:

Best of the Super Juniors II poster

Kazushi Sakuraba autographed shikishi

Toshiaki Kawada autographed shikishi

Holy Demon Army (Kawada & Akira Taue) autographed shikishi

And, drumroll please...Mitsuharu Misawa autographed shikishi

1/26/13 9:55 AM
Stryfe
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats some great stuff! Did you collect any of the autographs personally or just purchased them?
1/26/13 10:55 AM
Stryfe
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I was watching the Von Erich's debut in NOAH I was more impressed with TDMK. Like a lot of wrestlers on the Indy scene they overkill moves but their timing is nice with some sweet innovation. What's your thoughts on them?
1/26/13 11:23 AM
TheBearStare
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Totally jealous. Especially of the holy demon army signatures Phone Post
1/26/13 1:32 PM
grizz632

Stryfe - Thats some great stuff! Did you collect any of the autographs personally or just purchased them?

These ones were purchased, but I've got a bunch of others that I got personally. Personally, I've got a Prince Devitt shirt signed and a whole bunch of Dragon Gate stuff signed. Devitt was a cool guy, first native English speaker I met on my trip to Japan a few years ago, and the DG guys were all really nice. I had some old Toryumon Japan programs for them to sign and CIMA was calling the others over to check them out. Even wrestlers get nostalgic apparently
1/26/13 1:33 PM
grizz632

Stryfe - When I was watching the Von Erich's debut in NOAH I was more impressed with TDMK. Like a lot of wrestlers on the Indy scene they overkill moves but their timing is nice with some sweet innovation. What's your thoughts on them?

I haven't seen much of them as a team, just the odd Noah match and a few from NWA Hollywood, but they seem like decent prospects. I've been fairly impressed with the singles stuff I've seen of Shane Haste also. Nicholls I haven't seen much of singles wise
1/26/13 1:49 PM
grizz632

TheBearStare -  Totally jealous. Especially of the holy demon army signatures Phone Post

Yeah, that one is really cool. Would have been even cooler if they had won that '94 tag league, but coming in second to Misawa and Kobashi is nothing to scoff at
1/26/13 2:58 PM
grizz632

Edited: 01/26/13 3:00 PM
I want to party with this group

Results from today's big All Japan show courtesy of purolove

AJPW "NEW YEAR SHINING SERIES 2013", 1/26/2013 (GAORA TV)
Ota Ward Gymnsium
4,800 Fans - Super No Vacancy Full House

1. Shuji Kondo & MAZADA beat SUSHI & Andy Wu (4:43) Kondo over Wu with the King Kong Lariat.
2. Masayuki Kono & Masanobu Fuchi beat Kazushi Miyaoto & Tomoaki Honma (7:40) Kono over Miyamoto with a Giant Knee Drop.
3. 3 Way Match: KENSO beat Kaz Hayashi & Jimmy Yang (3:15) with a Diving Elbow Drop on Yang.
4. BJW World Strong Heavyweight Title: Manabu Soya (c) beat Yoshihito Sasaki (12:31) with the Wild Bomber (1st defense).
5. All Asia Tag Team Title: Hiroshi Yamato & Hikaru Sato beat Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka (c) (20:15) Yamato over Kanemoto with a Cross Arm Suplex Hold - New Champions.
6. Special Six Man Tag Match: Masahiro Chono, Suwama & Joe Doering beat Takao Omori, Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue (9:21) Suwama over Nakanoue with a Last Ride.
7. Special Tag Match: Tatsumu Fujinami & Seiya Sanada beat Keiji Muto & Reid Flair (15:31) Sanada over Flair with the THIS IS IT.
8. Triple Crown: Masakatsu Funaki (c) beat Akebono (11:54) with a Face Kick (4th defense).

After the All Asia Tag title match, "Burning" made their entry to All Japan official. It was announced that there will be a 5-match "Burning" singles series at the next Korakuen Hall show. As part of that series, Kanemaru will challenge Shuji Kondo for the jr heavyweight title. It was also announced that Akiyama and Go Shiozaki will challenge GET WILD for the Double Cup tag titles at the Sumo Hall show in March

Also on that Sumo Hall show in March, Funaki will defend the Triple Crown against Suwama

Ric Flair was scheduled to be in that special tag match instead of Reid, but he developed a thrombosis in his left leg and doctors advised him not to wrestle. He apologized to the crowd for not being able to compete and held an autograph session at intermission
1/26/13 3:12 PM
grizz632

Here are the rest of the matches in the "Burning" 5 match singles series:

1. AJPW vs. Burning 5 Match Singles Match Series #1: Hiroshi Yamato vs. Atsushi Aoki
2. AJPW vs. Burning 5 Match Singles Match Series #2: Kaz Hayashi vs. Kotaro Suzuki
3. AJPW vs. Burning 5 Match Singles Match Series #3: Manabu Soya vs. Go Shiozaki
4. AJPW vs. Burning 5 Match Singles Match Series #4: Takao Omori vs. Jun Akiyama
5. AJPW vs. Burning 5 Match Singles Match Series #5 ~ AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title: Shuji Kondo (c) vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru
1/27/13 11:57 AM
grizz632

The final show of Pro Wrestling Noah's January tour was today in Osaka. Results courtesy of purolove. Noah announced 3500 fans as the attendance, the pic below shows otherwise. How the mighty have fallen...

NOAH "GREAT VOYAGE 2013 IN OSAKA", 1/27/2013 (G+)
Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM (Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium)
3,500 Fans

1. Maybach Taniguchi Jr. & Genba Hirayanagi beat Takaku Fuke & Nanyjo Hayato (4:14) Taniguchi Jr. over Fuke with a Devil Windmill Suplex Hold.
2. Ross Erich & Marshall Erich beat Lance Bravado & Harlem Bravado (6:05) Marshall over Harlem with a Iron Claw.
3. Colt Cabana & Jason Jones beat Katsuhiko Nakajima & Satoshi Kajiwara (7:25) Cabana over Kajiwara with the Cabana Special.
4. NOAH vs. NJPW Special Tag Match: Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask beat Yoshinari Ogawa & Atsushi Kotoge (9:08) Liger over Kotoge with a Vertical Drop Brainbuster.
5. NOAH vs. NJPW Special Tag Match: Mohammed Yone & Ryuji Hijikata beat Yuji Nagata & Takaaki Watanabe (13:10) Yone over Watanabe with a Muscle Buster.
6. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title: Taiji Ishimori beat Shuji Kondo (c) (13:10) with the Revolucion - New Champion.
7. GHC Tag Team Title: Takashi Sugiura & Naomichi Marufuji (c) beat Yoshihiro Takayama & Maybach Taniguchi (28:50) Sugiura over Taniguchi with an Olympic Slam (1st defense).
8. GHC Heavyweight Title: KENTA beat Takeshi Morishima (c) (21:42) with the Game Over - New Champion.

So Pro Wrestling Noah begins it's new era with a new GHC Heavyweight Champion as KENTA ends Takeshi Morishima's 1 year reign as champion in the same place it began last year, Osaka. The guy who is lifing KENTA in that pic was his second for the match, his former tag team partner and 1/2 of Laugher7 Katsuyori Shibata. Not sure if this foreshadows any Laugher7 involvement in Noah this year, but it would be worth keeping an eye on since they're allegedly gone from New Japan

Also interesting that Kondo dropped the GHC Jr title to Taiji Ishimori. Kondo was double champion, also holding the All Japan Jr title, and his next defense of that title is scheduled to be against one of the men who left Pro Wrestling Noah last year, Yoshinobu Kanemaru
1/27/13 12:22 PM
Stryfe

Glad to see KENTA back with the belt. Would love to see Laughter7 in No Mercy! Although NOAH has definetly lost their spot in the top I can not think of another company that rose to the top as fast as what they did. Yeah you had Misawa and Kobashi plus a host more but still impressive.
1/27/13 2:10 PM
grizz632

Yeah, I'm not as against KENTA as heavyweight champ as the majority of the internet fanbase seems to be. I think he's the best option they have left at this point, I just wonder how much time Noah has left. Things like a Laugher7 invasion can spike interest briefly, but long term it's not going to help much. When the group left last month I think Noah was left in a worse position than All Japan was after the split. All Japan still had a marquee name in Kawada and a nice pool of freelancers to bring in. Noah doesn't have either and I really feel like it's just a matter of time until it collapses Phone Post
1/27/13 2:51 PM
Stryfe

grizz632 -  Yeah, I'm not as against KENTA as heavyweight champ as the majority of the internet fanbase seems to be. I think he's the best option they have left at this point, I just wonder how much time Noah has left. Things like a Laugher7 invasion can spike interest briefly, but long term it's not going to help much. When the group left last month I think Noah was left in a worse position than All Japan was after the split. All Japan still had a marquee name in Kawada and a nice pool of freelancers to bring in. Noah doesn't have either and I really feel like it's just a matter of time until it collapses Phone Post

I don't see NOAH ever reaching the level it once was and I don't think anyone believes they will but I do see them able to be a decent third place or fourth place and in Japan that's not too bad. They have freed up a bunch of money here recently and hopefully they'll be smart and build slow. I had mentioned here or another thread that I think the next six months of dealing with this will determine their future.
1/27/13 5:27 PM
grizz632

They did free up a bunch of money, but I don't think they have much to spend honestly. I'm going to be really interested in the attendance numbers on the tours before and after the Kobashi retirement show. They'll draw fairly well for that show just because of Kobashi and whoever may come in to work that show, but the attendances for their regular shows around that will show whether people actually care about Noah anymore. I'm willing to bet it's a lot more of what happened at today's show. More than half empty with disappointing cards and inflated attendance numbers
1/27/13 6:09 PM
Stryfe

I agree, After Kobashi's show it'll be tumbleweeds. That would actually be a great place to start some intrest since a lot of eyes will be on that show but I don't think they will. It's also why I give them six months of make or break. They will lose many but the big thing will be what will they do to bring people back.
1/28/13 8:49 AM
Stryfe

SaintVon Barksdale - Battle of the baby face sellers:

Kobashi vs. Ricky Morton

Who wins and why??

Kobashi wins for sure because he's Kobashi but Ricky Morton makes a great shoot video on their match.
1/29/13 12:22 AM
grizz632

I will say that I haven't seen as much Rock n Roll Express as a lot of guys around here just cause it wasn't really readily available to me as a kid, but watch the Holy Demon Army lay into Kobashi here and tell me there was ever a better face in peril than early Kobashi. You wouldn't think a guy who was as impressive a presence as Kobashi was would play that role as well as he did, but it seems like he was born to do it
2/4/13 11:42 PM
Stryfe

Great News from Japan. Laughter7 is returning to NJPW. Pure speculation on my part but I'm sure all the positive talk of Sakuraba and Nakamura match on top of Shibata showing up at NOAH with KENTA made them rethink Laughter7's ability to draw. NJPW may have even took the McMahon approach of we really don't want them but we don't want anyone else to use them either.
2/5/13 12:01 AM
grizz632

I just read that, great news. Saku and Shibata have a lot to offer New Japan. The card for the iPPV looks awesome too. I'm finally getting the Nakamura/Kengo Mashimo match I've been itching for

NJPW “THE NEW BEGINNING”, 2/10/13 (WPW/PPV/iPPV)Hiroshima Sun Plaza

1. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, Tama Tonga, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka, Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado
2. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (c) vs. Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov
3. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Prince Devitt (c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi
4. IWGP Tag Team Title: Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (c) vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima
5. Special Singles Match: Togi Makabe vs. Yujiro Takahashi
6. Special Tag Match: Hirooki Goto & Wataru Inoue vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata
7. Special Singles Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kengo Mashimo 
8. Special Singles Match: Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Karl Anderson Phone Post
2/5/13 10:23 AM
Tom Lawlor
503 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has the Volk Han retirement match surfaced anywhere yet? Phone Post
2/5/13 12:35 PM
grizz632

Not that I've seen. I found a shaky cam of his post match speech, but haven't seen the match yet. I'm hoping my DVD guy gets it in his update next month Phone Post
2/23/13 2:51 PM
grizz632

Back from the dead with a few updates, starting with All Japan who have been on fire lately. Today was the big BURNING vs AJPW 5-match singles series at Korakuen Hall

AJPW "EXCITE SERIES 2013", 2/23/2013 (GAORA TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
2,150 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. Masanobu Fuchi & Andy Wu beat Tomoaki Honma & Kazushi Miyamoto (4:28) Fuchi over Miyamoto with an Inside Cradle.
2. KENSO & Reid Flair beat Yutaka Yoshie & SUSHI (9:31) KENSO over SUSHI with the Hagakure.
3. GAORA TV Title Skirmish: Masayuki Kono & Minoru Tanaka beat Seiya Sanada & Yasufumi Nakanoue (8:20) when Sanada was disqualified.
4. Triple Crown Skirmish Elimination Match: Suwama, Joe Doering, Hikaru Sato & MAZADA beat Masakatsu Funaki, Akebono, Ryota Hama & Koji Kanemoto (13:15) via Referee Stop (Suwama beat Funaki). Order of Eliminations: MAZADA, Hikaru Sato, Ryota Hama, Koji Kanemoto, Akebono & Masakatsu Funaki.
5. All Japan vs. Burning 5 Big Singles Match Series: Atsushi Aoki beat Hiroshi Yamato (9:12) with the Assault Point.
6. All Japan vs. Burning 5 Big Singles Match Series: Kaz Hayashi beat Kotaro Suzuki (11:07) with the Power Plant.
7. All Japan vs. Burning 5 Big Singles Match Series: Go Shiozaki beat Manabu Soya (4:52) with the Go Flasher.
8. All Japan vs. Burning 5 Big Singles Match Series: Takao Omori beat Jun Akiyama (12:14) with an Axe Bomber.
9. AJPW World Jr. Heavyweight Title - All Japan vs. Burning 5 Big Singles Match Series: Yoshinobu Kanemaru beat Shuji Kondo (c) (15:54) with the Touch Out - New Champion.

So Kondo follows up his recent loss of the GHC Jr Heavyweight title to Taiji Ishimori in Noah with another title loss to former Noah star Kanemaru. Not too many surprises in the 5 match series overall except for the unnecessary burial of Soya by Go. Go was obviously going to go over there, but no need for it to be a sub 5 minute destruction of a guy who All Japan has been building pretty nicely over the last year plus

A couple announcements by All Japan today as well. Kaz Hayashi confronted Kanemaru after the main event, so expect him to be the first challenger for the Jr title. Also, KAI will return to All Japan from his overseas training at the next Sumo Hall show, where he will have his first match as a heavyweight against Seiya Sanada. Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki challenged Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka for the All Asia tag titles, but no date has been announced for that match yet. In other tag team news, Keiji Muto announced that "BATT" will be reformed for one night only on 3/17 as Don Frye returns to Japan to team with Muto against Yoshihiro Takayama & Masayuki Kono. With that announcement, here's how the 3/17 show is shaping up so far

Special Tag Match: Keiji Mutoh & Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama & Masayuki Kono
Special Single Match: Seiya Sanada vs. KAI
World Tag Championship Match: [64th Champions] "GET WILD" Takao Omori & Manabu Soya vs. [Challengers] "BURNING" Jun Akiyama & Go Shiozaki
Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship Match: [45th Champion] Masakatsu Funaki vs. [Challenger] Suwama

Pretty nice show thus far. In New Japan news, their next big show will be next weekend's 41st Anniversary show. The card includes a few title defenses and a special non-title champion vs champion main event:

NJPW "ANNIVERSARY SHOW", 3/3/13 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Anniversary Opening Match: Hiromu Takahashi & Takaaki Watanabe vs. Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu
2. Yuji Nagata, Wataru Inoue, Super Strong Machine & Captain New Japan vs. Hirooki Goto, Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga & Ryusuke Taguchi
3. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (c) vs. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask
4. Togi Makabe, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI
5. Elimination Match: Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Jado & Gedo vs. Minoru Suzuki, Davey Boy Smith Jr., Kengo Mashimo & TAKA Michinoku
6. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Lance Archer
7. Anniversary Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.