UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

2/23/13 3:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
513 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a couple matches from the last NJPW iPPV as well, including the sensational Tanahashi/Anderson match:

Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kengo Mashimo

IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs "The Machine Gun" Karl Anderson

2/24/13 12:55 AM
UGCTT_OBEY
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watching now thanks for posting Phone Post
2/24/13 2:19 AM
TheBearStare
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THANKS GRIZZ. Phone Post
2/24/13 12:53 PM
grizz632
513 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No problem guys, let me know what you thought

Also I think the New Japan office may lurk here, I got 3 vote downs overnight after I posted these...
2/24/13 1:11 PM
Stryfe
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - No problem guys, let me know what you thought

Also I think the New Japan office may lurk here, I got 3 vote downs overnight after I posted these...

Just recently renewed my blue so I can give you a much deserve vote up today
2/24/13 5:46 PM
TheBearStare
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the upload again grizz. I don't know what it is but I don't think tanahashi does it for me. But this Anderson match and the Suzuki match from last year(and I love Suzuki) I found underwhelming. Maybe I'm just out of touch.
2/24/13 6:03 PM
grizz632

There are some people that just don't like Tana. I don't understand it personally though, as he's one of the most consistently great big match performers I've ever seen. I loved the Suzuki match, and this one against Anderson was fantastic, imo, but to each his own

Also, I'm calling it now, Karl Anderson will be the first gaijin IWGP champion since the Brock Lesnar debacle. It's incredible how far he's come the last few years and I could legitimately see it happen for him
2/24/13 8:35 PM
Stryfe
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any word on Kobashi's retirement plan?
2/24/13 8:36 PM
TheBearStare

Dont get me wrong. I think tanahashi delivers and is working his ass off but i just dont dig him yet. The matches i see him in definitely feel like a big deal. Maybe i just dont completely buy his move set yet or his look or something. Girls definitely seem to love him. Maybe thats my deal with him. Doesnt seem as rugged as a champ should be to me. I really dont know. Anyways props to him for carrying the strap well. Phone Post
2/24/13 8:37 PM
TheBearStare

Is tenzan still around? Did he really get hurt at the end of that 60min match vs kojima? That seemed absurd he couldnt bs his way thru like just two more minutes or so unless he was incredibly hurt. Phone Post
2/24/13 9:15 PM
Stryfe

TheBearStare -  Dont get me wrong. I think tanahashi delivers and is working his ass off but i just dont dig him yet. The matches i see him in definitely feel like a big deal. Maybe i just dont completely buy his move set yet or his look or something. Girls definitely seem to love him. Maybe thats my deal with him. Doesnt seem as rugged as a champ should be to me. I really dont know. Anyways props to him for carrying the strap well. Phone Post

I think the problem with Tanahashi is that he doesn't buy the gimick of being the Japanese HBK.

Tenzan has been back and him and Kojima are teaming together
2/24/13 10:38 PM
grizz632

Stryfe - Any word on Kobashi's retirement plan?

Nothing new other than the date and location, May 11th at Budokan Hall. No talent list or opponent for Kobashi announced as of yet. Based on all the talent they've provided Noah so far this year I'm expecting lots of New Japan involvement though
2/24/13 10:59 PM
grizz632

Edited: 02/24/13 11:01 PM
TheBearStare - 

Is tenzan still around? Did he really get hurt at the end of that 60min match vs kojima? That seemed absurd he couldnt bs his way thru like just two more minutes or so unless he was incredibly hurt. Phone Post

As Stryfe mentioned, Tenzan is still around and reformed TenKoji with Kojima. They were IWGP tag champs for a time last year. Here's a recent match of theirs, the semifinals of the 2012 NJPW World Tag League vs Sword and Guns (Hirooki Goto and Karl Anderson)

And there's no doubt in my mind that title vs title match with Kojima was supposed to be a time limit draw. I haven't seen the full match in a few years, but remember being stunned that Kojima came out of that match with both titles. I gave it no chance at having a finish where either champion lost their belt. It seemed destined for a draw and the longer that match went on the more I was sure that was going to be the outcome. I rewatched the ending sequence a bit ago and I still can't pinpoint where exactly Tenzan gets knocked silly. It may have been from the series of elbows from Koji, or an accumulation of those elbows and the powerbomb after it, but Tenzan seemed legit out of it for the last couple minutes while the refarees and staff try to keep Koji off of him. I think they finally realized that Tenzan wasn't coherent enough to even stall for the time limit and decided on the KO finish on the spot. Tenzan had only been champion for a few months going into that match, and Koji only held the IWGP title for a few months before Tenzan got it back, which kind of reinforces my belief that he wasn't meant to drop that match to Koji.
2/24/13 11:08 PM
grizz632

TheBearStare -  Dont get me wrong. I think tanahashi delivers and is working his ass off but i just dont dig him yet. The matches i see him in definitely feel like a big deal. Maybe i just dont completely buy his move set yet or his look or something. Girls definitely seem to love him. Maybe thats my deal with him. Doesnt seem as rugged as a champ should be to me. I really dont know. Anyways props to him for carrying the strap well. Phone Post

The ladies love Tana, and Tana loves the ladies...

2/24/13 11:49 PM
Jay-dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a total puro newb curious if Josh Barnett has any note worthy matches? What feds has he wrestled for? Phone Post
2/25/13 12:21 AM
grizz632

Yuji Nagata (C) vs. Josh Barnett (NJPW) by Jahmale_Hepburn
Jay-dog -  As a total puro newb curious if Josh Barnett has any note worthy matches? What feds has he wrestled for? Phone Post

He worked for New Japan in his first run. Recently he's worked for Inoki's IGF promotion. I liked a lot of his New Japan run. This match with Nagata at the Tokyo Dome is probably the most notable match he had
2/26/13 4:45 PM
Winky is Wright
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grizz, 

give me the skinny on the K.E.S and the Suzukigun faction.

2/26/13 10:57 PM
grizz632

K.E.S. have slotted into the dominant gaijin tag team slot left when Bad Intentions split after Bernard left for WWE. They've got a long way to go to be as good as Bad Intentions were, but they're doing a nice job so far. I'm not a very big Lance Archer/Vance Archer/Lance Hoyt fan, and I'm kind of surprised he's the one getting the first big singles match of the two and not Smith. He's got zero chance of taking that IC title from Shinsuke, but it's really just a vehicle to continue the CHAOS vs Suzukigun feuds that have been brewing the last few months. Basically every show since the Dome show in January has featured CHAOS and Suzukigun going at each other, with Suzuki and Okada at the forefront.

Up until about 6 months ago or so, Suzukigun was mainly Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku, and Taichi. Once Archer joined up, they began adding to the ranks a bit more. Archer brought Harry Smith over to form K.E.S., and TAKA brought his student Kengo Mashimo in from Kaientai Dojo. Considering Nakamura is becoming less and less of a true heel every day and a feud with Okada over CHAOS leadership is coming sooner rather than later, this may be the year Suzukigun takes the slot as the top heel group in New Japan. They could use one or two new members to cement that standing though. Suzuki is an obvious top of the card guy, but TAKA and Taichi aren't really threats to Devitt in the Jr division, though I could see them getting the Jr Tag Titles this year. I don't know what they're going to do with Kengo, if anything. He just had a singles match with Nakamura, so I'm not sure who's next for him. As I've said many times already in this thread, I'm a big supporter of both K-Dojo and Kengo, so I think they should find something for him as he could get over if used correctly. As for K.E.S., they're right where they need to be. IWGP tag champions taking on and dominating all comers. By beating TenKoji a few times now they've established themselves at the top of the tag division and if they can have even half as good a run as Bad Intentions did in that slot they're in great shape
2/26/13 11:35 PM
grizz632

Some absolutely massive news out of All Japan today. A press conference was held in which it was announced that All Japan has been sold to firm called Speed Partners. Speed Partners has apparently purchased 100% of All Japan, which means that Keiji Mutoh and Masayuki Uchida sold their shares and no longer have ownership stake in the company. Speed Partners have appointed two of their representatives, Nobuo Shiraishi and Akira Misaka, the new President and Vice President of All Japan. New President Shiraishi has already dropped a few bombshells about where the company goes from here, including:

- Beginning this April, All Japan will begin operating with an "isolationist" type philosophy. As part of that, the contracts of all freelance wrestlers will be evaluated in March and anyone deemed as not adding anything to the promotion will be dropped.

- Any contracted wrestler deemed as not pulling their weight will be released as well. They directed that remark at KENSO specifically

- Their goal is to be challenging New Japan as the #1 promotion in Japan by next year, and running the Tokyo Dome within 3 years

- They believe All Japan deserves more TV exposure and are shopping the product to some of Japan's top networks. Those showing interest include TBS and NTV. NTV was the former home of All Japan prior to the Noah split

- President Shiraishi also requested that Shuji Kondo make a permanent move to the heavyweight division, which could explain Kondo dropping the two Jr heavyweight titles he held recently.

All and all, this could be a huge deal for All Japan. They were apparently over 1 billion yen in debt prior to the takeover. The corporate restructuring/bankruptcy could help get them back on track. The isolationist talk worries me a bit, since many of the best matches/feuds they've had recently have included freelancers and this may end the working relationship they've had with Big Japan that allowed Sekimoto and Sasaki to have such success the last year. I'm guessing that this March evaluation period for freelancers should result in contracts for many of them, including Koji Kanemoto and all members of BURNING. Interesting to note that this sale apparently occurred last November, which is exactly when Akiyama and the rest of BURNING decided to not renew their Pro Wrestling Noah contracts. What goes around comes around I guess
2/26/13 11:40 PM
TheBearStare

Whoa nuts. its kind of exciting to think about them successfully pulling this off. Like a total kick in the ass to puroresu to make it huge again w njpw and ajpw fighting for #1 Phone Post
2/26/13 11:58 PM
grizz632

That's my hope. If the investment group is serious and they build around guys like Suwama and Shiozaki this could be huge. On the flipside, investment groups can be fickle so I really hope they stick with it and follow through on what they talked about during the press conference and don't just bail and sell to someone else after a year or two
2/27/13 2:24 PM
Winky is Wright
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grizz.. What does this mean for Mutoh? 

mentoring Yoshi Tatsu is prolly off the table, correct?

2/27/13 3:38 PM
grizz632

Winky is Wright -

Grizz.. What does this mean for Mutoh? 

mentoring Yoshi Tatsu is prolly off the table, correct?

Mutoh will keep his position on the board of directors and will still wrestle, he's just no longer an owner. He resigned his position as president early last year after the Voodoo Murders fiasco, so really not much should change for Mutoh. He'll still be one of the faces of the company, but I do think we'll be seeing more focus on guys like Suwama, Shiozaki, and the rest of BURNING this year rather than Mutoh Phone Post
2/27/13 3:39 PM
Tom Lawlor
469 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That match was the WON match of the year whenever it was, like 2003 or something. Mutoh was having a huge renaissance as a performer and Tenryu brought the goods against him. I remember that match being good, but after awhile it seems like Mutoh's formula became tired. Haven't seen any of his recent work really but I'd imagine he doesn't have any of those matches left in him. (Actually, I watched him vs Naito and it was good so I may be wrong) Phone Post
2/27/13 3:44 PM
grizz632

SaintVon Barksdale - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS1yA7OWfM8

I do believe this is it. If you motherfuckers haven't seen this, be sure to watch. The homey Grizz will cosign this match.
Cosigned

People forget just how incredible Tenryu was but he was one of the all time greats. I think he's hurt his legacy a bit, at least with newer puroresu fans, because he still works matchs now and many younger fans have only seen 50+ year old Tenryu and not 30 year old boss Tenryu. He's kind of like Flair in that way Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.