UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

2/27/13 3:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom Lawlor - That match was the WON match of the year whenever it was, like 2003 or something. Mutoh was having a huge renaissance as a performer and Tenryu brought the goods against him. I remember that match being good, but after awhile it seems like Mutoh's formula became tired. Haven't seen any of his recent work really but I'd imagine he doesn't have any of those matches left in him. (Actually, I watched him vs Naito and it was good so I may be wrong) Phone Post
Considering Meltzer's seeming dislike of Tenryu I'm surprised it got that award. Mutoh can still go about once a year or so, but his knees are in shambles so he's never going to have a 4-5 star match again. He can have good showings with guys like Naito, who is fantastic. He'd never have a match like that with lesser opposition now though Phone Post
2/27/13 4:07 PM
TheBearStare
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PURO LOVE

*HAND GESTURE AND COOL POSE Phone Post
2/28/13 12:48 AM
grizz632
671 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBearStare -  PURO LOVE

*HAND GESTURE AND COOL POSE Phone Post

Indeed!

2/28/13 12:53 AM
grizz632

Also, figured I share this before I sign off for the night. I recently downloaded an HD rip of a best of Kobashi career retrospective, so I've been overdosing on classic Kobashi matches the past week or so. Tonight I got to one of my favorites from the Noah years, Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama from 2004. Everyone watch it immediately

2/28/13 7:44 AM
Stryfe
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 2004 Misawa/Kobashi match that took place before this match with Jun is a real good match.
2/28/13 9:57 AM
grizz632

Stryfe - The 2004 Misawa/Kobashi match that took place before this match with Jun is a real good match.
You thinking of the 2003 match? Or am I forgetting one? The only one I remember from 2004 between them was the fan appreciation match from the Christmas time shows Phone Post
2/28/13 9:58 AM
grizz632

SaintVon Barksdale - I watched 2 hours worth of Joshi last night. That's the most pro wrestling I've watched in I don't know how long.
Classic joshi? Or newer stuff? I assume it was older stuff Phone Post
2/28/13 12:30 PM
Jay-dog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A few more mma related puro question: Have any mma guys who dabbled in puro ie Coleman,Randleman, Frye or any others had matches with Keiji Muto,Masahiro Chono,Satoshi Kojima, Jushin Thunder Liger? (those are the only guys I am vaguely familiar with from Japanese NWO thing(Liger from Clash of the champions tourneys back in the day). Also how was Sakuraba's career as a pro wrestler? Thanks Grizz! This thread is the shit!
2/28/13 12:46 PM
Stryfe
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - 
Stryfe - The 2004 Misawa/Kobashi match that took place before this match with Jun is a real good match.
You thinking of the 2003 match? Or am I forgetting one? The only one I remember from 2004 between them was the fan appreciation match from the Christmas time shows Phone Post

My memory is horrible past an hour ago so your probably correct. Real nice suplex spot of the ramp to the floor
2/28/13 1:43 PM
Tom Lawlor
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jay-dog - A few more mma related puro question: Have any mma guys who dabbled in puro ie Coleman,Randleman, Frye or any others had matches with Keiji Muto,Masahiro Chono,Satoshi Kojima, Jushin Thunder Liger? (those are the only guys I am vaguely familiar with from Japanese NWO thing(Liger from Clash of the champions tourneys back in the day). Also how was Sakuraba's career as a pro wrestler? Thanks Grizz! This thread is the shit!
Minoru Suzuki has probably. He definitely, if nothing else, kicked Liger's ass in Pancrase. Phone Post
2/28/13 1:45 PM
Tom Lawlor
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And Grizz, anywhere free to watch Futen? I have tried in the past to find some of their stuff because someone was pimping a 2012 match as a sleeper MOTY but I couldn't find anything really.
The torrent site I use doesn't have anything either.

Also, it is kind of off topic but WXW in Germany does a shoot style tournament either yearly or bi-annually, have you caught any of that? Phone Post
2/28/13 6:17 PM
Stryfe

Edited: 02/28/13 6:21 PM
Edited for a better copy
2/28/13 6:38 PM
grizz632

Stryfe - Edited for a better copy
I love this match. Thanks for posting it, I was planning on finding it tomorrow since that will be the 10th anniversary so you saved me some time

You'd think Kobashi would have learned his lesson about the ring to the floor spots after Misawa destroys him with the tiger suplex off the ramp here, but instead just a year later in the Akiyama match I posted he does both the ridiculous vertical suplex spot that causes him to spit blood and takes the exploder from the turnbuckle to the floor. It's a wonder the man can still walk

Just 10 years ago Misawa and Kobashi had that match in front of probably 14,000+. Fast forward to today and Kobashi is gearing up for his retirement, Misawa is gone, and Pro Wrestling Noah has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Crazy how things change Phone Post
2/28/13 7:11 PM
TheBearStare
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is that kobashi vs akiyama at noahs first dome show? I adore that match. Cause kobashi was supposed to lose the title yet he won and for me (and im guessing most) that cemented kobashi as an unbeatable titan. The "god of puroresu" as akiyama proclaimed. Dammit kobashi. If only i could watch him wresyle all day. Grizz made a comment a short while avo and its very true. For someone who comes off as so heroic and invincible its insane how vulnerable kobashi makes himself during matches. It really draws the audience in. Maybe its just me but he really comes off like some gallant knight/battle tank that endures hell and then puts all evil do-ers/opposition in its place with a burning lariat. Phone Post
2/28/13 9:03 PM
grizz632

Tom Lawlor -
Jay-dog - A few more mma related puro question: Have any mma guys who dabbled in puro ie Coleman,Randleman, Frye or any others had matches with Keiji Muto,Masahiro Chono,Satoshi Kojima, Jushin Thunder Liger? (those are the only guys I am vaguely familiar with from Japanese NWO thing(Liger from Clash of the champions tourneys back in the day). Also how was Sakuraba's career as a pro wrestler? Thanks Grizz! This thread is the shit!
Minoru Suzuki has probably. He definitely, if nothing else, kicked Liger's ass in Pancrase. Phone Post
Suzuki and Liger had a match in New Japan last year and Liger came out with the same "Battle Liger" gear he wore for that Pancrase match. Liger is the man

For the other MMA guys, Frye was in a stable with Chono, then he turned on Chono to join BATT with Mutoh. Frye is actually returning to New Japan in a couple weeks to reform BATT with Mutoh for one night only.

Saku was one of the young stars of UWFi before it went under. He had a few matches in New Japan during the UWFi invasion, but honestly he never got a chance to be a big time star in pro wrestling. His Pride exploits made his name, but with UWFi closed he didn't really have a platform to excel as a pro wrestler. His more recent stuff with Laugher7 in New Japan is more memorable than anything he did prior to that. Had UWFi survived it may have been a completely different story Phone Post
2/28/13 9:10 PM
grizz632

Tom Lawlor - And Grizz, anywhere free to watch Futen? I have tried in the past to find some of their stuff because someone was pimping a 2012 match as a sleeper MOTY but I couldn't find anything really.
The torrent site I use doesn't have anything either.

Also, it is kind of off topic but WXW in Germany does a shoot style tournament either yearly or bi-annually, have you caught any of that? Phone Post
Futen is tough to find for free. I think the guy I get my DVDs from has Futen stuff available, but it almost never reaches the torrents. I catch the odd match here and there on YouTube but that's about it. The DVDVR guys all have a hard-on for Futen so it gets a lot of internet love. They don't run tons of shows so it's not as accessible as other companies are. It's worth seeking out if you're into shoot style though. I'll see if I can track some down for you Phone Post
2/28/13 9:16 PM
grizz632

SaintVon Barksdale -
grizz632 - 
SaintVon Barksdale - I watched 2 hours worth of Joshi last night. That's the most pro wrestling I've watched in I don't know how long.
Classic joshi? Or newer stuff? I assume it was older stuff Phone Post

Most of the matches that were given Meltzer 5 star ratings, so they were all in the early/mid 90s.

Toyota-Aja Kong
The big 10 woman tag match.
The Inoue's vs. Cutie and Ozaki.
Toyota vs. Kyoto Inoue

and Bull Nakano vs. Cutie Suzuki.

All from All Japan Women except for the 10 man, which was from JWP.
Some pretty outstanding stuff there

I would marry Manami Toyota tomorrow if she'd have me Phone Post
2/28/13 9:23 PM
Stryfe

Grizz maybe you can help refresh my mind. It's sad I remember the match and everything but who he faced. On the same card as the Kobashi/Misawa which I now think was 2003 Voyage show, Liger had IMO a great match that lasted under 15 mins and it was all high impact moves. Who did he face and is that video online?
2/28/13 9:39 PM
grizz632

Stryfe - Grizz maybe you can help refresh my mind. It's sad I remember the match and everything but who he faced. On the same card as the Kobashi/Misawa which I now think was 2003 Voyage show, Liger had IMO a great match that lasted under 15 mins and it was all high impact moves. Who did he face and is that video online?
Liger wasn't on that 3/1 show. Was it a GHC Jr Heavyweight title match? Could have been against Kanemaru. Or maybe Sugiura, though the match Liger won the GHC Jr title from him was in New Japan Phone Post
2/28/13 9:51 PM
Stryfe

Im gonna have to dig out my DVD's. I was thinking it was on the same show as Misawa/Kobashi but the guy he faced was bald I think...and it was a quick paced match with an over abundance of brainbuster, powerboms, fisher drivers...Usual Liger stuff minus the set ups inbetween if that makes sense
2/28/13 9:54 PM
Stryfe

I bet once again I have mixed up and it is on the Jun/Kobashi 2004 card and that is what reminded me of it not the Kobashi/Misawa. If so it was Kanemura
2/28/13 10:00 PM
Stryfe

OK I've solved my own confusion with your help ;) Sorry about that
2/28/13 11:02 PM
grizz632

glad I could be of assistance. Love me some Jushin Liger

2/28/13 11:33 PM
Roy Batty
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - 
Tom Lawlor -
Suzuki and Liger had a match in New Japan last year and Liger came out with the same "Battle Liger" gear he wore for that Pancrase match. Liger is the man

For the other MMA guys, Frye was in a stable with Chono, then he turned on Chono to join BATT with Mutoh. Frye is actually returning to New Japan in a couple weeks to reform BATT with Mutoh for one night only.

Saku was one of the young stars of UWFi before it went under. He had a few matches in New Japan during the UWFi invasion, but honestly he never got a chance to be a big time star in pro wrestling. His Pride exploits made his name, but with UWFi closed he didn't really have a platform to excel as a pro wrestler. His more recent stuff with Laugher7 in New Japan is more memorable than anything he did prior to that. Had UWFi survived it may have been a completely different story Phone Post

Saku had some GREAT matches in Kingdom. You want 'em and all the Kingdom you can get.
2/28/13 11:43 PM
grizz632

I'll have to look into those. I never watched Kingdom. Shoot style was never my favorite style so I never sought much of it out. Though I do occasionally enjoy watching Daisuke Ikeda kick people half to death Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.