UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

3/1/13 12:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know there was a thread the other day about MVP not returning to New Japan, but at the same time New Japan also removed the profiles of Shelton Benjamin and Low Ki from their website, so it looks like all 3 are done with New Japan
3/1/13 8:32 PM
Stryfe
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was always a huge Liger fan as well. Him putting on the matches he does at his age is impressive in itself but when you think about all he's come back from and can still stay on top it's unreal.
3/2/13 9:10 AM
TwistedWrister88
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. As a wrestling fan since I was about 7-8, I have to admit that I know next to nothing about the Japanese federations except for what I have read in Foley's and Jericho's books. Definitely going to do some digging through this thread. What's a good match to start with? Phone Post
3/2/13 11:47 AM
Stryfe
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TwistedWrister88 -  In. As a wrestling fan since I was about 7-8, I have to admit that I know next to nothing about the Japanese federations except for what I have read in Foley's and Jericho's books. Definitely going to do some digging through this thread. What's a good match to start with? Phone Post

Just to save you on some digging time the videos from these last pages are good starts
3/2/13 12:13 PM
grizz632
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TwistedWrister88 -  In. As a wrestling fan since I was about 7-8, I have to admit that I know next to nothing about the Japanese federations except for what I have read in Foley's and Jericho's books. Definitely going to do some digging through this thread. What's a good match to start with? Phone Post

For current stuff, go back about 3 pages and watch the Tanahashi vs Karl Anderson match I posted. Also, here are a few of the match of the year candidates from 2012 that are definitely worth watching

Kota Ibushi (c) vs Kenny Omega - DDT KO-D Openweight Championship

"The Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada (c) vs "Stardust Genius" Tetsuya Naito - New Japan IWGP Heavyweight Championship

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - New Japan IWGP Heavyweight Championship

3/2/13 12:16 PM
TwistedWrister88
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. Thanks guys. Phone Post
3/3/13 6:46 PM
grizz632

Results from the New Japan Anniversary show at Korakuen Hall courtesy of puroresufan.com

NJPW "ANNIVERSARY SHOW", 3/3/13 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
2,015 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

1. Anniversary Opening Match: Hiromu Takahashi & Takaaki Watanabe beat Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu (8:43) when Takahashi used a crab hold on Komatsu.
2. Hirooki Goto, Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga & Ryusuke Taguchi beat Yuji Nagata, Wataru Inoue, Super Strong Machine & Captain New Japan (9:23) when Anderson used the Gun Stun on Captain.
3. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (c) beat Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask (11:22) when Shelley used the Shelley clutch on Tiger (2nd defense).
4. Togi Makabe, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Manabu Nakanishi beat Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI (12:27) when YOSHI-HASHI was DQ'd.
5. Elimination Match: Minoru Suzuki, Davey Boy Smith Jr., Kengo Mashimo & TAKA Michinoku beat Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Jado & Gedo (19:50) when Suzuki threw Okada over the top rope.
6. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) beat Lance Archer (15:01) with the Boma Ye (6th defense).
7. Anniversary Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi beat Prince Devitt (17:23) with the High Fly Flow.

I'm downloading the show now, so I haven't seen it yet but I've heard good things so far, which is to be expected from New Japan lately. Apparently Devitt refused to shake hands with Tanahashi after the match and was in full heel mode throughout the match, so they may be turning him.

Nakamura tweeted after the match that he had his jaw broken by Archer during their match but "beer makes me better", which cements his awesomeness. That, and he also tweeted this pic of him with a long lost trainee from the NJPW LA Dojo back in '06 when Nakamure was there who trained alongside Prince Devitt, Rocky Romero, Alex Kozlov, Karl Anderson, Micky Nicholls...

3/4/13 12:07 PM
grizz632

I watched the New Japan anniversary show last night and it was pretty dolid overall. I really enjoyed the Jr tag title match, Kushida and Shelley are a nice team, though part of me wishes Sabin were healthy and it was the MCMGs getting the title run. Liger and Tiger Mask asked for one more match at the next Korakuen Hsll show, which I won't mind seeing at all.

The 8 man tag was typical CHAOS heel tomfoolery. There's a mistake in the results above as it was actually Yujiro that got the DQ. I feel like Yujiro is primed for big things in the next year or so. Hopefully the program with Makabe helps that along.

The elimination match was better than I thought it would be. Ishii was absolutely on fire and the crowd ate it up. This feud is building nicely

As usual, Nakamura was fantastic and got a much better match out of Archer than I thought possible. He's really turning the Intercontinental belt into something important, though I think having Nakamura anywhere but in the IWGP heavyweight title picture is a waste. He's absolutely incredible.

The main event was good as well. Devitt destroyed Tana with a chair outside the ring and mocked him a few times, but surprisingly it was Tana that got more boos than Devitt. Devitt shoved Tana after the match when he came over to shake hands. He shoved his Apollo 55 teammate Taguchi as well, but sort if apologized right after doing it. No such apology for Tana. Phone Post
3/4/13 4:49 PM
grizz632

The first round matches for the New Japan Cup were announced today. Not many surprises except for Minoru Suzuki taking a momentary break from the Suzukigun vs CHAOS feud to have his seemingly 1,000th match with Yuji Nagata

NJPW, 3/11/13 (Samurai! TV)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Satoshi Kojima vs. Tomohiro Ishii
2. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Hirooki Goto vs. Tama Tonga
3. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Manabu Nakanishi vs. Toru Yano
4. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Karl Anderson
5. Special 6 Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley vs. Captain New Japan, Prince Devitt & Ryusuke Taguchi
6. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Togi Makabe vs. Yujiro Takahashi
7. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki
8. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Kazuchika Okada vs. Lance Archer
9. New Japan Cup – Round 1: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr. Phone Post
3/4/13 11:03 PM
grizz632

So I just procured a device that allows me to watch over 30 Japanese TV channels live on my PC, including Samurai TV and Gaora. That means I now have access to live shows and weekly TV from New Japan, All Japan, Dragon Gate, DDT, Big Japan, Zero-1, Kaientai Dojo, and many others. I just spent the last hour watching a digest show that recaps almost every big company in Japan, everything from yesterday's New Japan show to Big Japan's Deathmatch Survivor tournament to DDT and even a bunch of small indys

R.I.P. to all my free time...
3/4/13 11:06 PM
Tom Lawlor
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grizz632 - So I just procured a device that allows me to watch over 30 Japanese TV channels live on my PC, including Samurai TV and Gaora. That means I now have access to live shows and weekly TV from New Japan, All Japan, Dragon Gate, DDT, Big Japan, Zero-1, Kaientai Dojo, and many others. I just spent the last hour watching a digest show that recaps almost every big company in Japan, everything from yesterday's New Japan show to Big Japan's Deathmatch Survivor tournament to DDT and even a bunch of small indys

R.I.P. to all my free time...
What? And uhhhhhh please share! Phone Post
3/4/13 11:49 PM
grizz632

It's an IPTV device. Basically, it's a USB dongle that you plug in, then you run the IPTV application and stream the channels. A bunch of people on another puro board bought them and they've worked well for them so I took the plunge. I ordered one the other day but I haven't gotten it yet, so I'm running it on a free trial from another site in the meantime. It's pretty slick so far. I'm watching Ice Ribbon highlights right now

3/5/13 8:02 PM
Stryfe

grizz632 - It's an IPTV device. Basically, it's a USB dongle that you plug in, then you run the IPTV application and stream the channels. A bunch of people on another puro board bought them and they've worked well for them so I took the plunge. I ordered one the other day but I haven't gotten it yet, so I'm running it on a free trial from another site in the meantime. It's pretty slick so far. I'm watching Ice Ribbon highlights right now

Would like to hear more details about this if it is something you can share
3/5/13 9:49 PM
grizz632

Sure, it's no secret, I'll tell you what I know about it. 

It's a pay service, so it's not something you can get for free or pirate anywhere really.  The people on the forum I found out about this from bought theirs from a few different sellers on aliexpress.  The price is the same everywhere I found, $250 for the USB dongle and a year of service.  After that, the service costs about $200 a year.  I had a few problems paying for the device because aliexpress is a Chinese website and apparently my bank doesn't trust the Chinese and kept blocking the payment.  While I was trying to work through that, I found another website (http://www.neotv.info/) that sold the same service and also offered a free trial, so I requested the trial.  It took them a few days, but I got the info on the trial yesterday and that's what I'm watching on now.  It works really well.  During that couple days when I was waiting for the trial from neotv, the payment for the aliexpress order went through and they shipped, so I'm using the free trial until I get the device from aliexpress.  I'm kind of kicking myself for not just waiting a bit cause neotv takes paypal so I wouldn't have had any of the other issues I had with aliexpress, and they only charge $180 for the annual service after the initial $250 first year, so I could have saved myself a few bucks next year, but it's not a huge deal. 

You get 36 channels total.  Fighting TV Samurai and Gaora were the big reasons I got it, but get to watch some Japanese MMA like Pancrase and Shooto as well, and I'm also a big baseball and soccer fan so getting to watch the Japanese baseball league and J-League soccer were some other reasons I took the plunge.  Last night after the highlight show on Samurai I switched over to Gaora and watched the Hanshin Tigers vs Chunichi Dragons baseball game.  I watched a bit of the World Baseball Classic after work today and just watched Joachim Hansen win his first match in Shoot Boxing on Samurai a few minutes ago.  I'm loving this so far.  I'll post a link to the aliexpress buyer I got the device from once I actually get it in hand and working and feel better about recommending them.  In the meantime, I'd suggest that anyone who is interested, or even just wants 3 days worth of free Samurai TV to check out the free trial that Neotv offers.  I didn't have to submit any payment info to get it and it was up and running in 5 minutes after I got the email with the info.  If you time it right, you may be able to watch the first round of the New Japan Cup live on Samurai on 3/11

3/5/13 11:33 PM
Tom Lawlor
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

are there similar services for European/other countries networks? I guess I could just do some research on my own...

3/6/13 12:06 AM
grizz632

I've seen devices for Japan, China, Korea, India, and Taiwan. There are some on ebay for Arabic and Turkish channels also. I kind of had the blinders on for the Japanese one so I'm not sure if there are ones for European networks. I just ran into those other ones while I was looking for other sources for the Japanese one.

DEEP 61 Impact is being replayed on Samurai right now. Guess I'll watch some guys punch each other in the face before bed
3/6/13 4:16 PM
Stryfe

Finally got around to watching the Devitt/Tanahashi match. I think before the chair shot the crowd seemed to be more behind Devitt and even after that they were still 50/50
3/6/13 5:35 PM
grizz632

The reaction Tana was getting was very Cena-ish to me. Way more negative then he usually gets and early in the match it was very overwhelmingly a pro-Devitt crowd. After the chair spot I felt like most of the people still wanted to cheer for Devitt, but some didn't. You're absolutely right, it was probably a 50/50 split by the end. I wonder if Devitt will ever get a chance as a heavyweight like KAI is getting now in All Japan or if he'll just be this generation's Liger, the Jr heavyweight kingpin that people measure themselves against and shoot for Phone Post
3/6/13 8:14 PM
UGCTT_OBEY
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who do you think will represent nwa and who do you think njpw use?

3/6/13 9:01 PM
grizz632

That angle will be a giant shitburger. My first guess for who the New Japan representative(s) will be was Nakamura for an IWGP IC title defense. I read some other speculation that it will be a K.E.S. tag title defense against the NWA tag champions, which would be awful. Really, the NWA has no one interesting they could bring over when it comes down to it. Think of every wrestler you know, then take away all that are contracted to WWE, TNA, ROH, Evolve/DG USA, or who are regular gaijin with other Japanese companies and who are you left with? Exactly. Maybe they get someone like Charlie Haas for a match with Nakamura, or God willing they make nice with Adam Pearce or Cabana and give them a match. For this invasion thing to work there needs to be a name that Japanese fans would recognize that would be seen as exciting or some kind of threat, and that person doesn't exist in the NWA now
3/6/13 9:02 PM
grizz632

Hype video for the first round matches of the New Japan Cup next week

3/8/13 12:21 AM
grizz632

I caught part of the replay of the All Japan show from 2/23 on GAORA tonight. I missed the start of the show, but I saw the last 3 matches of the BURNING vs All Japan 5 match series. I didn't hate Soya vs Shiozaki the way I thought I would when I read the results. For a match that went less than 5 minutes, it wasn't as one-sided and Go didn't dominate the way you would think. Soya got some decent offense in and it wasn't a squash by any means, though I do wish they got more time. It did it's job of building towards Go and Akiyama's tag title challenge though. Omori vs Akiyama was a fun match. Nothing earth-shattering by any means, but some nice back and forth, especially at the finish. The main event was pretty good as well. I generally like Kondo, probably the Toryumon/Dragon Gate fan in me. Kanemaru was always hit and miss with me though, but he hit here. All the confrontations outside the ring between BURNING and the All Japan contingent lead by Kaz and Yamato added a lot to the atmosphere also. Overall, a pretty good show from what I saw

One other note from All Japan from the last day or two was the forming of a new group, LAST REVOLUTION. The group consists of Masahiro Chono, Suwama, Shuji Kondo, and Joe Doering. Kaz Hayashi has also appealed for membership as well, but is not an official member yet. The group will lead the opposition line against BURNING for control of All Japan

3/10/13 2:58 PM
grizz632

Results from Pro Wrestling Noah's "Great Voyage in Yokohama" show today, including a few title changes

NOAH "GREAT VOYAGE 2013 IN YOKOHAMA", 10.03.2013 (G+)
Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium
3,000 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. NOAH vs. Diamond Ring: Satoshi Kajiwara beat Hitoshi Kumano (8:30) with a Crab Hold.
2. VooDoo-MURDERS vs. Bravado Brothers: Kento Miyahara & Taishi Takizawa beat Lance Bravado & Harlem Bravado (9:40) Takizawa over Harlem with a Modified Stomach Buster.
3. Kensuke Sasaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima beat Akitoshi Saito & Masao Inoue (15:08) Sasaki over Inoue with the Stranglehold Gamma.
4. BRAVE vs. TMDK: Shane Haste, Mikey Nicholls & Jonah Rock beat Takeshi Morishima, Mohammed Yone & Yoshinari Ogawa (12:47) Nicholls over Ogawa with a Body Press.
5. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Maybach Taniguchi Jr. & Genba Hirayanagi beat Super Crazy & Ricky Marvin (c) (11:01) Hirayanagi over Marvin with the Shoryu Genba - New Champions.
6. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title: Taiji Ishimori (c) beat Atsushi Kotoge (17:24) with the Revolucion (1st defense).
7. GHC Tag Team Title: Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka beat Takashi Sugiura & Naomichi Marufuji (c) (20:43) Yano over Sugiura with the Kagamiwari - New Champions.
8. GHC Heavyweight Title: KENTA (c) beat Maybach Taniguchi (24:53) with the go 2 sleep (1st defense).

So after absconding with the belts during an earlier Noah show, CHAOS members Yano and Iizuka win them legit over Marufuji and Sugiura. It was a big day for NO MERCY also, as KENTA successfully defends the GHC title against the man who recently turned his back on NO MERCY, Maybach Tanaguchi, and NO MERCY teammates Tanaguchi Jr and Hirayanagi take the Jr Tag titles from Marvin and Super Crazy.

Also, the participant teams in this year's Global Tag League were announced. As expected with Noah's limited roster, plenty of outside participants are included. Interesting to note that the newly unaffiliated Maybach Tanaguchi will not be teaming with another member the Noah roster, but rather with a member of New Japan's CHAOS, Yujiro Takahashi.

Global Tag League Participants:

1. KENTA & Yoshihiro Takayama
2. Takashi Sugiura & Naomichi Marufuji
3. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka - New Japan
4. Shane Haste & Mikey Nicholls
5. Kensuke Sasaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima - Diamond Ring
6. Takeshi Morishima & Mohammed Yone
7. Eddie Edwards & Bobby Fish - ROH
8. Akitoshi Saito & Tomoaki Honma
9. Yoshihito Sasaki & Shinya Ishikawa - Big Japan
10. Yujiro Takahashi (New Japan) & Maybach Taniguchi
3/11/13 10:31 PM
grizz632

There's a sitdown interview show with Kenta Kobashi on Samurai TV right now. Fuck I wish my Japanese didn't absolutely suck
3/11/13 10:33 PM
TheBearStare
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FUCKING SHIT. KOBAAAAAASHI Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.